Join Date: Apr 2007
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Smarty needs a Tonsillectomy, Help
Hello all, sorry Iím been away so long, a lot going on this summer. DD moving to Wales and we have her terrier mix until mid October. She and Smarty tolerate each other for 98% of the time the other 2% is major dog fights.
Smarty has had urinary tract infections that have had her on 3 rounds of different antibiotics. Along with that she has had inflamed tonsils that have not responded to any of the medications. When you look you see two cherry red objects in her throat. We think this is why she has not eaten dry food like she should and not felt well for so long. So this week she may have her spay and tonsillectomy. Has anyone ever had a tonsillectomy on their dogs?
My trainer has never heard of a dog needing one, but my vet has another Havanese client that had to have 2 of her dogs tonsils removed. These 2 dogs may be related to Smarty as I know her sire had 2 litters in this area around the same time as her birth. He thinks it may be a breed thing as he has done very few in all his years in practice and to have 3 so close and all the same breed makes him wonder.
I say ďmayĒ on her surgeries as I do not know I am ready to let her be put to sleep, but I am worried about her never feeling well.
Sandi, taking a new road with Smarty and Galen