Karen, believe me, my roommate hasn't heard the end of it. At least it was only a dropped skin, not any dropped raw onion. She's supposedly the dog savvy one of the two of us having had dogs all her life and Simcoe being my first one, but I think she's one of the ones who never put much thought in to it. As I'm home 90% of the time, it generally isn't an issue but your point about putting her into her xpen whilst cooking is good - already enforced in our home I'm afraid, the roommate isn't quite good at judging what is "clean" though. However, I do think I'll be tacking up a list of food items toxic to dogs on to our fridge after you raised that point, so I thank you for that. Do you think you can provide me with a list of your threshold of when you'd take Kodi to the vet? Obviously if he's ingested something or to reiterate, bloody stools, but anything else? Thank you!
Quite honestly, when Kodi has ingested something I was worried about… one time it was Rose of Sharon flowers, one time he got into an arrangement of dried hydrangea flowers… couldn't tell whether he'd eaten any or just made a mess of them, and one time I found a chewed blister pack from cold medicine on the floor (that he'd stolen from a guest's purse!
). In each case, I called the vet and let them make the decision.
Rose of Sharon - Not a problem. The worst thing that would happen is that it might make him throw up if he'd eaten a lot of them. It didn't.
Hydrangea flowers - Turns out that's a BAD one. The vet said that if he made it to the office alive, he hadn't ingested any. (no more dried flowers within dog reach… he wasn't a puppy at the time, and ignored them for several months before he decided to "rearrange" them)
Blister pack? - That was trickier, because we weren't SURE he'd ingested anything. But a call to poison control made it clear that IF he had eaten the two pills, it was an over dose for a dog his size. So we were told to do the peroxide treatment.
We did, and never saw any sign of the pills, so I suspect he had just gone after a nice, crinkly, empty blister pack. But we just couldn't take the chance.
The problem with dogs ingesting toxic substances is that if you wait until they are showing symptoms, sometimes it's too late for the vets to even help your dog. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to TAKE them to the vet, but, IMO, any time a dog eats something that you know or suspect might be toxic, it's worth a call to the vet. At worst, it's a phone call and you can stop worrying. At best, with swift treatment of the right kind, the vet can save their lives.