I'm struggling with a decision and would welcome opinions.
Fred had patella surgery 2.5 years ago on his left leg. He needed surgery because he wasn't putting pressure on that leg.
It was a grade 3-4, which means his knee cap was always out of the socket. From what I am reading, it doesn't cause pain when it's out of the socket all the time. The pain if from the knee cap sliding across the bone.
Fast forward to today. I heard him yipe, then I noticed fred wasn't putting full weight on his right leg. Vet said, he injured it and even though his patella is grade 3-4, 2 weeks crate rest works on 50% of dogs. If it doesn't then it's time for surgery, which I agree with. Although, some people disagree with my vet and are saying 8 weeks crate rest to let it heal completely…..If he doesn't heal after 8 weeks then surgery.
Even if he is putting weight on it after the two- eight week crate rest, he will always have a grade 3-4. It's not going to fix itself. Fred is 9 year old dog who loves his hikes. I am struggling with what to do because some people say, don't do surgery unless the dog can't walk and is in pain. Surgery and recovery is hard on a dog, will causes arthritis, infection can occur or even death.
If I don't do surgery, arthritis will still occur. What about his quality of life? I am going to call my vet to discuss things further. My gut says just do the surgery, he did well the first time….I feel so bad for him
Also, fred was running and walking fine before the injury, even with a 3-4 luxating patella. This is why my decision is so hard!