Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 58 Times in 58 Posts
Something else deadly for our dogs
I was watching the local news last night and was shocked to hear a story about a Standard Poodle that had gotten in to his owners handbag. The dog found a package of gum and of course he ate it. Turns out the dog barely survived this snack as the gum had the artificial sweetener Zylitol in it. I did not know this, but Zylitol is deadly to dogs. It is found in all kinds of products that are artificially sweetened. It is harmless to humans of course, but not our dogs. The Poodle was very large and ate the entire pack of gum, so his case was severe, but I kept thinking my dog would devour the whole pack too if given the chance and at his size I don't think he would have made it. The Poodle took many, many days to recover and the whole time the vet kept him at his clinic under constant watch. The cost was extreme. Worth it though because of the happy ending. I thought this should be addressed to give you all a heads up in case you are like me and had never heard of this.