FYI Raisin Toxicity - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SMARTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,107
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
FYI Raisin Toxicity

I just received this as an email from a friend:

Subject: If you have a dog... read this and PLEASE send it on
>> Written by:
>> Laurinda Morris, DVM
>> Danville Veterinary Clinic
>> Danville , Ohio
>>
>> This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
>> MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that
>> ate
>> half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
> Tuesday.
>> He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but
>> the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
>>
>> I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal
>> failure
>> but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog
> in
>> immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
>> doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway,
> we
>> contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and
>> they said to give IV fluids at 1 °« times maintenance and watch the
>> kidney
>> values for the next 48-72 hours.
>>
>> The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
>> than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
>> monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
> and
>> started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was
> over
>> 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
>> fluids.
>> At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
>> MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well
>> as
>> overnight care.
>>
>> He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
>> continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
>> diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
>> couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again,
>> his
>> BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
> elevated
>> and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
>> 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.
>>
>> This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
>> could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this
> very
>> serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
>> toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
>> including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
>> concern.
>>
>> Laurinda Morris, DVM
>> Danville Veterinary Clinic
>> Danville , Ohio

Sandi, taking a new road with Smarty and Galen
SMARTY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Oscar's Mom
 
marbenv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 213
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for posting this. A man next door grows grapes. He is always gving them to another neighbor's dogs as a treat. I just saw him do it yesterday. I will certainly let them know tomorrow. You may have saved two little dogs' lives!

Thanks again!

Marsha
marbenv is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Casper and Missy
 
Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington state
Posts: 2,194
Submit Photo: 38
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
It is really important to post this; I have read this about the raisins a couple of times, and I was trying to give Casper a bite of my bagel this morning - and it was a cinnamon and raisin bagel S0O we just need to keep reminding everyone! RAISINS ARE BAD FOR DOGS!
Lynn is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Shannon
 
LuvMyHavanese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,316
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read in my Goodhousekeeping Magazine about toxic things for animals.

1. Onions & garlic-can cause gastointestinal irritation & harm red blood cells.

2. Macadamia nuts-contain an unknown toxin that can upset the digestive tract & muscles.

3. Pennies-which im sure EVERYONE has laying around, they are made from zinc which can cause severe anemia & kidney failure.

4.Azaleas & rhododendron-very pretty but can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, depression of the cental nervous system & can be lethal.
Liles can cause kidney damage & be lethal to your cat.

5.Sugar substitutes that contain Xylitol-can cause low blood sugar & liver damage. Only a gram per 22 lb dog should be taken to a vet.

4.Pine oil cleaners-can cause severe liver damage in cats. Even if they just lick their feet after walking on a wet floor can be a serious problem.

Tripp, Jax, & Dreamer
LuvMyHavanese is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ca
Posts: 1,672
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
When Asta was so sick that on the first thing that U/C asked us . had he eaten aany grapes or raisins ..
I am so sorry to hear about the death of that dog ..
Just as an FYI and I know most people cannot aford it but for those who can U/C has a dialysis machine . Some people want to save their animal if there is a chance if they have the means ..
This dog could have been saved ..
There was a man who flew his dog from Alaska - it was the same story - lab that ate raisins and he was in renal failure . He was put on dialysis and his life was saved .
There are two machines one on the east coast and on here in California .
Do not just sit and wait to see what happens . That is what they did to us and we lost our dog !!
Cosmosmom is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Shannon
 
LuvMyHavanese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,316
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont know much about dialysis, but i remember sitting in a vets office & a woman was there with a dog in her arms wrapped in a blanket. He looked dead. He was there for dialysis treatment. I dont know what kind of life a dog can lead while being on that, but based on what i saw-he was just suffering cruely. I pray i never have to make that decision.

Tripp, Jax, & Dreamer
LuvMyHavanese is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Sierra & Baileys servant
 
Suuske747's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maastricht, the Netherlands
Posts: 1,125
Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 23 Times in 13 Posts
yep, Raisins, grapes and chocolates, big risk!

Also important for whoever has a veggie garden.....if you have tomato plants...don't let your dog play/chew with the stems and leaves of that plant! Same risk!

Suzanne and her Sparkling Sierra, godmother to Dinky (*) and Baileys!
Suuske747 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome