Join Date: Dec 2008
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a really tough situation. I know some people think that titers don't have to show high for the memory cells to respond, but I know personally I would want to see them high. And you mention wild animals in the area, so I understand your concern.
The holistic vet wants you to wait, but the regular vet is the one doing the shots? Or is it the holistic vet giving the shot and she thinks your dog is healthy enough at this point? Does she think a month in-between is enough time?
I have heard of a homeopathic being given before shots (I think it is Thuja?) to help with reactions, but this is likely for general reactions, and not necessarily to help the liver situation. You might want to ask about it anyway and do a search on it (if you find out anything, please let us know).
One other random thought to ask about (again, let us know if you find out anything). Since you did titers just now, and it showed low, and if you go ahead and give a rabies shot, then do another set of titers in a few weeks and it shows a marked increase in the titer response........then, could this be considered as her having accepted the rabies shot and then could this help make future decisions on whether or not to give future rabies shots to her if her liver issues warrant a more conservative approach? I'm not saying this very well....but if the titers go up, then can you assume that antibodies will be formed in her and you can avoid future shots if you need to? (this still doesn't account for be compliant with the law, of course.....but might be useful as a decision making tool in the future with a dog with health issues).
This was suggested to me as a possibility for my dogs with health issues, but I haven't decided yet if I will do this or not. I have not discussed this with a vet yet, so I don't know what they would think if this is reasonable or not.
I wish I had more advice, but it seems like you are already fairly well informed (having done titers already). There is still so much to prove out there (example: if low titers might still be effective).
I can offer you my understanding of the nerve wracking aspect of this decision.
Do you know what brand she will be using? (I don't want to say on the forum, but there is one brand* I won't use -- but if it's the holistic vet giving the shot, then she likely wouldn't use this brand). *just lots of things about this company I don't like in regards to the meds and stuff they send out. If it's the regular vet giving it, especially, you might want to find out about what company makes the shot, and then do some heavy googling to find out whether you trust that company or not. That's the only other thing I can think of at the moment. It's good she didn't have a bad reaction last time.....glad to hear that : )