Havanese Forum banner

Cameras

5K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  susaneckert 
#1 ·
After frustration with trying to take puppy pictures with a sort of middle-of-the-line digital camera (shutter lag, and all), I've been looking at SLRs. I have done 35mm photography since I was in High School so the Canon 5D which has the same sensor size as the focal plane on a 35mm looks very interesting. I've looked at the Nikon D200 and it looks pretty nice but the 5D seems like it would suit my old school knowledge better. Any opinions??

We need to get some different discussions going so that people new to Forums can see how it works.

#2 ·
Tom, if you had the 5d, you could do EVERYTHING. I thought about getting one as a back up, I have a 20d for that now.

A full frame sensor is great! The 20d does not have that, but my 1ds does.
I say if you had a canon before, stick with it, and if you had Nikon before thats ok too.

Both the cameras you mentioned are great. The money is also in the lenses, if you have any from film days, they may work with the digis.

If I had to have ONE camera, I would look into the 5D. Combined with an external flash you can take any shot you want.

If you want to do any outside shots and you dont want a 5d or better, I would go Nikon. From experience.

Ill help you any way I can! With good equipment, it makes it sooo much easier!

#3 ·
Yeah, The last 35mm I have is a Canon so their teminology from the film camera to the digital translates. Also with the full sized sensor, lens focal lengths don't require on the spot math to figure which lens does what since the same focal length lens for the 35 does the same thing for the 5D. Unfortunately the Canon lenses I have are not electronic focusing so they will still be of limited use.

#6 ·
A Kodak easy share is what I have, too Tami. I feel your pain. LOL
It got such good ratings, but I just loathe the little thing. The software that came with it totally messed up my computer and I had to have it repaired. Plus the camera itself is practically useless if you are more than 10 feet away from your subject. I have to get a new camera!!!!!
Dawna

#7 ·
I want to zoom in quickly and be able to take one picture right after another without waiting several seconds for the camera to 'get ready' again. I need to take outside shots during baseball games, ropings, cattle shows, and just the dogs playing around. But I also need to take inside photos at the same livestock shows, and at dog shows. Of course just family pics in the house during holidays, etc.
Okay Melissa, what camera do I need for all that? I just need to hire a photographer, right?

#8 ·
Ok Im think I need to know a budget, ecspecially when you get into slr's.

Keep in mind, you can go anywhere from 500-10,000.

IF I were wanting a camera to do what you are describing Dawna, and I was on a budget...( Meaning Im not a photographer) I would look at a used Nikon D100. I had that camera and it was great. It would sell for 2,000 without a lens. I think you can get it for 600-800 now which includes a good lens. You can also look at a Nikon D70 or a Canon 30d.

If you want a point and shoot, you are just going to have lag. Maybe some of the fixed lens Nikons might be ok, but they are still 700+.
The new Point and Shoots are getting better, but not for rodeo and low light situations.

I can make a better list later, but I would seriously try to find a used D100 or a simialr camera. You dont need a brand new one. Some people trade theirs in when anything new comes out. I only traded mine in because I needed to make 30x40 photos from it.

#12 ·
Ok they let out the news.
Nikon has today put the end to the speculation and announced the new ten megapixel D80 digital SLR. This new camera is the natural successor to the D70/D70s with a refreshed design, user interface and a wide range of new features. Headline improvements are; 10.2 mp CCD, new image processing engine, 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 11-area AF system, configurable Auto ISO, configurable high ISO NR, a larger and brighter viewfinder, in-camera retouching (including D-Lighting), built-in wireless flash commander, SD card storage (with SD-HC support) and the D200's higher capacity battery. The D80 will go on sale in September with a body only price of $999 in the US, £699 in the UK or $1299 in the US,

The 1299 is a price with a lens and extra goodies.
They have a review on DPreview.com

I might can get it cheaper. I can also get it for you if you want one, as it will be hard to get your hands on for a while.

#14 ·
Rebel is great.
And the D70 would be great. You might be able to get a deal on the D70 with this new one released. Or maybe get the D50, and two awesome lenses.
Lots of options. Another expensive hobby! HAHA

I just talked to my camera guy, he is getting them in mid september. He is going to put a couple on hold for me just in case. Lets just say I buy A LOT of stuff there.

And since my $2,500 lens did not come back from San Antonio, Im about to be buying more.

#28 ·
Rebel is great.
And the D70 would be great. You might be able to get a deal on the D70 with this new one released. Or maybe get the D50, and two awesome lenses.
Lots of options. Another expensive hobby! HAHA

I just talked to my camera guy, he is getting them in mid september. He is going to put a couple on hold for me just in case. Lets just say I buy A LOT of stuff there.

And since my $2,500 lens did not come back from San Antonio, Im about to be buying more.
Melissa--I was going to get the D50 but everyone told me it was discontinued and to get the D40. I love the D40. (can't wait to get more lens)
Is the D50 discontinued?
Sally

#17 ·
Me too Melissa, since we have a few weeks before he gets them, I'm going to check out D70 prices and see what they do since this announcement. I will let you know for sure within the next couple of weeks, too. We won't leave you hanging!
I REALLY does help to know a photographer!!!
Dawna

#18 ·
I've been checking out the D70s today, and if you can actually get a lens in the D80 package, we'd probably be better off to wait for the D80. (unless you want a pre-owned one...I'm a little scared of that because there aren't any dealers around here, so I'd just be buying from an individual or from ebay or something)

#19 ·
I would say its fairly trustworthy.
I read also there were very little differences in the D50 and the D70.
I guess its more of a decision between D50 to D80.
You might could get D50 and say photoshop if you didnt have it, or the D80 kit. Just weigh all your options.

Yes the camera store will have the kits, he said there are two kits and he will have them both. He probably sells more camera equipment than anyone in Texas so he gets everything first. Also, he is as cheap as anywhere I can find. Sometimes he beats B&H prices which are good.

G
#20 ·
Oh good...the first to get stuff and cheap...glad you found him!! I'm going to check out the website again and see if there is a users manual or online tutorial I can preview in advance.

Thanks for all your help Melissa!!

Tami

#22 ·
HELP!! I know nothing about photography!!!! I only want to learn so I can share in all the fun photo's on this site. I need info on where to start. First a good book telling me how. I need to buy a camera and software. I have a Mac computer and it may have software installed? I'm looking for all the guideance I can get.

#31 · (Edited)
Ruthann- The Apple stores all have something called "One on One" and for $99.00 you can take 52 individual one hour classes (you pick the topic).Ask for Iphoto classes and they will teach you. It is a great deal and you have an instructor to yourself!
Sally
private lessons for about $2.00 each--even if you don't take/need all 52 it is worth it (you can pick a different topic for each or the same....I took one on Photoshop and editing :)

#24 ·
Hi Tom. I'am a photography nut and share your frustration with shutter lag etc with the digital cameras. I presently have a Nikon 8800 E and am also thinking of moving to the digital SLR. Presently I am leaning towards the Canon EOS 5D. Nikon lenses are great, but from what I have seen you can't beat the Canon lenses and that is why I am leaning towards a Canon. Here is a great site to compare camera...you even get to see sample images

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Good luck.

David

#26 ·
I just "downgraded" from the Nikon d70 to the Nikon d40 and I LOVE IT!
the d70 was too much for me to lug around with my bum shoulder. I have the option to run "auto" on the d40 or mess around with the different settings.
So, just another option to look into~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.