Havanese Forum banner

Chewing Wall

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Dee Dee 
#1 ·
So this happened today! Raffi had begun to chew on the corner of my baseboard so I bought some Nature's Miracle Pet Block. He just licked it off and proceeded to chew. I had put something in front of the spot and it seemed fine. Today he figured out how to move it and did this to the wall. Any suggestions of something I can use to deter him? I don't think he ate much because of the amount i picked up off of the floor. He did throw up a bit shortly afterwards.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Lemon juice. It will work on baseboards but not sure I would put it on the textured wall. Try a hidden spot and see if there is any interaction with the textured finish (i.e. color change). If it does not change the color apply a bit with a small paint brush. :smile2:

#3 ·
Kodi was terrible about chewing things, and ate most "chew stop" products (and lemon juice) for lunch. What finally stopped him was the hottest hot sauce I could find. On hard surfaces, I applied it ddirectly, but, of course, it WILL stain. So for porous surfaces (one of Kodi's favorites was the fringe of my oriental rugs!!!) I put the hot sauce on strips of rag and pinned them in place. On a spot like your wall, I'd put it on paper and tape it over the area.

With Kodi, ONE taste of the hot sauce was all it took. I will warn you... He did cry and run around wiping his mouth on things for a while. But in his case, it wasn't just a concern about destruction, it was also safety, as he was also going after electical cords. I thought one bad experience with hot sauce was WELL worth saving his life! After that first taste, all he had to do was SMELL the hot sauce on something, and he'd scurry back away from it. :)

#8 ·
Yeah, Kodi was a VERY determined chewer as a puppy! ;) Fortunately, Pixel didn't chew AT ALL, and Panda's chewing (at least so far!) has been minor, and regular chew stop deters her.

#5 · (Edited)
Glad to know that other Havanese like fringes of oriental rugs! They used to be Cassie's favorite chew. She seems to have stopped, but I don't trust her for a minute. I used bitter apple spray but that seemed to make them even more tasty. Bitter apple was effective with other dogs I have had, but not this girl.

I've had other dog/puppies pull off drywall and only solution I ever found was barriers to prevent access. Bitter apple seemed to work to stop chewing on table and chair legs, but not drywall.

#9 ·
That would worry me with a chewing puppy though, I know a dog who had to have surgery after swallowing foil because of the danger of it lacerating his intestines if it was allowed to pass naturally.

#7 ·
I made a barrier around one of Zoe's favorite chewing spots with her exercise pen. That worked because it broke the habit. Other times if I caught her in the act I would give her a verbal "uh uh" sound and then redirect her. I used to have to correct her a lot and use the no-chew spray as a tiny pup. I found that she does chew her bully stick if we hold it initially which seems more special to her than leaving it for her to pick up.

#10 ·
We have a floor to ceiling built-in book case in the family room. ANOTHER of Kodi's favorite chew things was to remove the spines from any books that he could reach. We ex-penned that off too. ;)

#11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. At four and a half months he is just really teething. I give him pumpkin or chicken teething rings and that helps. The bad stuff happens when I am distracted with something else so I guess he gets bored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.