Havanese Forum banner

Sophie back in hospital

10K views 83 replies 32 participants last post by  Dee Dee 
#1 ·
Woke up with tummy issues again this morning! Poor baby is back in the hospital getting tests. Ran home to grab some stuff will go back and sit in waiting room for her. I am exhausted and beside myself between the itchies and the tummy issues at her young age especially I was not prepared for yet another lifetime of watching my dog suffer been through that 3 times already and thought I got it right this time doing my homework etc. ARGH!!!!!!! :crying:

#2 ·
So sorry to hear that.

I wonder if you should consider taking up your breeder's offer to take Sophie at their place for a country holiday and see if that makes a difference in her health. I am starting to wonder if she is being triggered by something environmental. It would be hard to be separated but might be worth it????

Wishing her a speedy and inexpensive recovery.

#4 ·
So very sorry to hear Sophie is having tummy problems again DeeDee. Did her diet change? I know it would be difficult to be separated from Sophie, but I would take the breeder up on his kind offer for a short holiday. It might helpful to rule out something environmental??? Hoping to hear Sophie is all better soon!!! 😟

#5 ·
Dee Dee - I'm praying that Sophie gets better soon. Emmie and I were really looking forward to getting together with you two tomorrow but obviously that has to be rescheduled. She is the sweetest, most amazing Havanese ever and I wish I could do something for her. Please let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do to help out. I'm so sorry you're having to go through health issues with a puppy you got from a very reputable breeder.

Woofs and kisses from Emmie and hugs from me. :hug:

#7 ·
We just got the devastating diagnosis of pancreatitis. :( That will be life changing for us I will not be leaving her now for photo shoots etc and not sure what it might mean for training since she'll have to be on an extremely strict diet the rest of her life, no picking up cookies from the floor, etc. I just can't believe all this is happening with her at this young age! I needed a break from health issues after the years with poor Hallie but here we go again....

They are keeping her in the hospital today hoping to bring her home tonight. Killed me to hand her off to them again. Poor precious baby.....

#10 ·
Oh Dee Dee :( Poor Sophie just can't catch a break. Give her lots of belly rubs on behalf of all of her forum buddies! Such a yucky diagnosis.

On the bright side, you have a diagnosis! That's half of the battle. You know more about what's happening inside of her, and with a good amount of vigilance, you can avoid another flare up. I wish I could help with training treat recommendations, but I don't know much about the dirt requirements.

#11 ·
Dee Dee I'm so sorry that you and Sophie are going through all of this. We love our little innocents and want only the best for them. They bring us so much joy.

Here's a link that may help lift your spirits a little bit. Not sure if you're familiar with Monica Segal but she's quite good with specialty diets for various conditions in our dogs.

A Pancreatitis Journey | monicasegal.com

#17 ·
Oh Dee Dee. What can I say. I am so sorry that you are having to go through health issues again and am so sorry it's your wonderful Sophie. God must know that you are the one to care for these wonderful creatures with health problems as you are so devoted, loving and caring. I understand how tough this must be for you. I too dealt with an awful health problem with my heart corgi dog, Foxy, and chose the havanese because they are known to be a healthy breed. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

#18 ·
DeeDee I am so very sorry...praying for speedy healing for Sofie and some rest for you. We just went through this with Abril. Thankfully she is feeling better but yes a very strict diet and she does not like it. We are having a will battle. :frown2: But she is starting to eat. The only treats the doctor will let her have is very bland and like a cracker and she takes it and puts it under the end table. Your Sofie is younger and will probably adapt much quicker as Abril will be 7 this December and very set in her ways with an attitude you would think was human...:smile2: Stay strong as this will pass too!

#20 ·
Thank you she just had her catheter out and is home! She feels a ton better than the first go round. She is eating and drinking, wants to play, interested in being naughty :) she wiggled like crazy to get to me when the tech carried her out this morning, last time she was just flopped in her arms.

I am feeling much better about it having talked to a lot of people who have been through it. Sounds very manageable with a lot of diligence. And I certainly will be that!

Thanks for that link Pauline! Great read and very encouraging!

Patty I am so sorry about Abril does she actually have pancreatitis? Poor girl. As our vet said, the pancreas is the jerk of the body. I am shocked at how many people out there have pancreatitis dogs! Makes you wonder what is causing it to be so rampant!

#21 ·
Oh, Dee Dee, I'm so sorry! I am sort of going through the same thing, but a little different, and I, like you, was just getting over my Doberman who ended up later in life getting all the health issues that breed was prone to. Now here I go again with a dog not even 2 years old. But I pray that you figure out a way to keep darling Sophie happy and feeling comfortable.

#23 ·
I'm very sorry to hear about your baby. Have you ever thought of putting about a table spoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in her water? There are so many benefits of ACV, I wouldn't be surprised if she improves dramatically if you start adding ACV to her water. I take it myself and I see the benefits. Also, I give it to my Labradors in there water and my oldest is 11 years of age and is just as active as my youngest lab who is 2 yrs.
You should get the ACV with the "mother" in it. It's most potent and natural.
I hope you will try it and keep praying for her!

#26 ·
Wow....sorry to hear about Sophie Dee Dee. It is rough when our little ones don't feel good. Have not been on in awhile and been away from home most weekends lately. Glad to hear she is feeling better and let her know Tucker sends her get well soon puppy kisses!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.