Havanese Forum banner

Picture - Loki got his face trimmed

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Hanna 
#1 ·
I like how he looks now. I had a sanitary trim, his pads, and his face so i can see his eyes. I liked the shop a lot (they are open on Sunday) talked to the groomer about keeping his hair this length in the future. She claims it can't be done. He has to be done with the shears and can't be scissor cut and still be even. So I may have to find another groomer who will work with me on keeping his puppy cut a little longer.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Today might have been too hot for them anyway! Hopefully next week won't be 100 degrees. Loki will be interesting. We went to Puppy Social at Fur-get-me-nots yesterday. He sat at my feet and stared at me the whole time. We went there for puppy class last week so I think he thought we were going to train and he would get treats if he paid attention to me! LOL. I am going to try again next week but he will interact with Java. If not, we can just visit.

He looks adorable, Barbara! I've been growing Layla's hair and she actually has an appt Tuesday with a new groomer. Just to hopefully, scissor her up a little and trim pads, sanitary trim and her eyes. Keeping my fingers crossed that we like her!
Post pictures after Layla's trim. I would love to see.

#5 ·
I think nothing beats the original "puppy face". It's difficult to do if the puppy is squirmy, but they get used to it and you can do it yourself with a good pair of scissors with blunt ends. I have always trimmed my Havanese because groomers take the short cut and just shave everything down till the dog's face loses the best part of it's look! Keep a good photo of your dog as a puppy, and work from that and keep it that way their entire life. Attached is a photo of Tux at almost 5 months. His face has been trimmed multiple times. It's a bit choppy now, but he is starting to learn to hold still and that the scissors are not a toy. I just speak really calmly and don't even attempt to trim unless he is tired and calm. Nancy

Attachments

#7 ·
Loki looks just precious! Love his puppy cut! I'm pretty sure it can be maintained that length with a scissor cut. My groomer gave Scout a puppy cut once. It does takes time and skill with scissors for it to be even. Last week I had this discussion with the groomer when she was here. I was thinking of doing a puppy cut on Scout for our trip to Tahoe. It looked like she would leave 3-4 inches. She said it wouldn't make any difference in matting so probably will leave it long for now. I will ask the groomer.

#8 ·
He looks adorable, Barbara! I've been growing Layla's hair and she actually has an appt Tuesday with a new groomer. Just to hopefully, scissor her up a little and trim pads, sanitary trim and her eyes. Keeping my fingers crossed that we like her!

#10 ·
Barbara, it takes some dogs a couple of visits before they get comfortable enough to play and venture out. But they are watching and learning and smelling and will remember for the next time. Each time I took Java to puppy play day she got more and more confident until she was pretty much running all around. The first class, she went around the room to all the people looking for pets. She ignored the other dogs completely. Then she got more comfortable and kept getting to see the same dogs over and over and now she mostly plays with the dogs and doesn't cruise the room for human loving. lol And then we got kicked out because she aged out of the group. I won't take her to adolescent play class because the dogs in that class are too big for her.

About half way through, a little tiny Havanese joined the play group. And she helped draw him out. Played very nicely with him, bowing down and barking to entice the little to play with her. So, I actually think Loki will love her. She is VERY engaging with dogs that are her size or smaller. Although, she does like to nose bump the bigger dogs in our obedience class. ;)

#14 ·
Sorry, but i'm calling BS on the groomer. She did a great job though. So cute. Sheila said she will not touch Tucker with shears unless he got matted which will NOT happen as we comb him all the time. She does him with scissors only and he is 8 months almost. She said it is no issue to do him that way. She leaves his eyelashes, ears and tail. Trims his pads, sides, belly and face with scissors only. She told me she can actually get a prettier cut with scissors than with electric shears. This was his cut from last week.

Attachments

#18 ·
Loki is precious! My groomer also only uses scissors on Raffi. She won't cut him short all over with them though as she said it would take so long. She trims paws, belly and sides a bit then thins it out. He has a very thick coat. She said if I decide to do a full puppy cut I need to find a show groomer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.