Rally Update - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,323
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 294 Times in 292 Posts
Rally Update

Well, we're home and tired, but had a good weekend... Double Q's!

this was also our first experience with a two day show that was not within driving distance... having to sleep in strange surroundings, etc. We were staying with a friend's mom, and she has a springer spaniel. The two of them got along great, but they played and played and PLAYED until WAY past Kodi's usual bed time.

Kodi is TOTALLY wiped tonight. When we got home, we both took a nap, and at supper time, he was cuddling with my DH on the couch. I asked if he wanted supper and he just rolled over and looked at me. So we actually fed him "supper in bed". (how's THAT for spoiling the dog!) But I think he deserved it.

His score on Sat. was 205 (out of a possible 210) and on Sun. was 193. The lower score (although still quite good... you only need 170 to Q) was because I mis-timed the warm-up and we had to go in cold. I brought him out of the crating area, asked for 2 sits and they called me into the ring. He was a bit distracted on the first part of the course, but then he got with the program and didn't lose a single point on the second half of the course.

He's in the B class now, competing with all the much more experienced dogs, so he didn't get any place ribbons, but I really didn't expect him to at this point. He still made LOTS of friends based on "cuteness factor"!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,646
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Congratulations, Karen and Kodi!

Karen, I am sure you have said somewhere else, but I am too lazy to look. Are you and Kodi competing at the Novice level? And what is the difference between Novice A and Novice B? How many times do you have to qualify at say the A level to move to the B level. We went down to the big AKC show in Portland, OR on Saturday (all breed) so watched a bit of Rally, a bit of Agility and then the Havanese conformation. I still did not see any Havanese compete in the Rally or Agility, although I think there may have been a Hav in agility - just not when we were there. We bought a catalog, but I could not even find the Agility listed in it. The Rally and regular obedience are as well as conformation with the competitors names, etc. Is Agility usually not listed in the catalogs? Does it depend on the show? Would it be called something else. This catalog is HUGE and I need to go through it again. I can't wait until Augie and I are at the point where we can go compete in Rally. However, I want our first experience to be a smaller show. This one was quite large in my opinion.

Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom
motherslittlehelper is offline  
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,323
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 294 Times in 292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Congratulations, Karen and Kodi!

Karen, I am sure you have said somewhere else, but I am too lazy to look. Are you and Kodi competing at the Novice level? And what is the difference between Novice A and Novice B? How many times do you have to qualify at say the A level to move to the B level. We went down to the big AKC show in Portland, OR on Saturday (all breed) so watched a bit of Rally, a bit of Agility and then the Havanese conformation. I still did not see any Havanese compete in the Rally or Agility, although I think there may have been a Hav in agility - just not when we were there. We bought a catalog, but I could not even find the Agility listed in it. The Rally and regular obedience are as well as conformation with the competitors names, etc. Is Agility usually not listed in the catalogs? Does it depend on the show? Would it be called something else. This catalog is HUGE and I need to go through it again. I can't wait until Augie and I are at the point where we can go compete in Rally. However, I want our first experience to be a smaller show. This one was quite large in my opinion.
Hi Linda, so far Kodi and I have only competed in APDT Rally, not AKC. We'll start AKC also this spring, but will continue with APDT as well. In APDT we are competing at Level 1, which is the equivalent of AKC Novice level... Done on leash. I think he's just about ready to begin doing run-throughs off-leash, but there are still signs he's not ready for at Level 2 (or AKC Advanced) and He's definitely not ready for off-leash in the multiple distractions of a competition environment. But, at 20 months, he's still very young to this game.

In APDT you compete in "A" at each level until you have earned your title at that level (3 qualifying scores), after which yo can continue to compete at that level, but in the "B" class. This part is similar to AKC, but in APDT, people can continue to compete in the "B" classes indefinitely, meaning that we are now. Competing against dogs with advanced titles. You still get your Q's based on score, not place, but to get a place ribbon, you have to score REALLY high. We were actually close on Sat... The 5th place dog was 207 and we were 205, so I was really happy with that!

I don't know if I can help you with the catalog questions from the show you were at. I've only been to a couple of dog shows with conformation classes, and only one of those had Obedience and Rally... No Agility. And I was working as a steward at the Obedience trial, so I didn't have a lot of extra time to be figuring things out.

Around here, agility trials are most often held separately from other types of showing. The are AKC shows that have both conformation and obedience and rally, and then there are also lots of separate trials for obedience and/or rally with conformation classes. Since I can't compete in conformation with Kodi anyway (he's neutered) and there are LOTS of obedience/rally trials nearby (both APDT and AKC) I haven't really paid a lot of attention to the big multiple-discipline shows, which tend to be held further away from where I live anyway.

I especially like APTD for starting a young dog in the ring because you can use food in the ring as a reward ONLY (no luring is allowed) at certain spots. It can be a great way to keep your dog happy, focused on you and having a good time when they are new to a trial situation.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 4,515
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Congratulations, Karen & Kodi! It sounds like Kodi really enjoys it!

Kathie, Abby & McGee's Mom
Kathie is offline  
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
The Laughing Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,335
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Karen, Its sounds like you both had a great time! Plenty of time for Kodi to earn lots of ribbons most of the dogs that I see winning are about 5 and I haven't seen any Havanese either. The only smaller dogs I see are Boarder Terriers (my DH had never seen one he thought they were a mixed breed, they are rare), I see lots of Lowchens, king charles spaniels, schnauzers and once a Tzu from NY. I bet Kody ends up with his points quickly.

Linda, Often the Agility is not listed in the main catalog, there is usually a supplement, in the old days at some shows Agility was off site at a local training club.

Robbie, Boo Boo, Yogi, and Misty's human.
Poohkey miss you, monkey.
The Laughing Magpie is offline  
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,323
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 294 Times in 292 Posts
Thanks, Kathie! He certainly seems to enjoy it... I don't think you can MAKE a dog do this stuff veery easily... If they don't want to be there "playing" with you, it's going to fall apart pretty quickly.

As the judge said in the briefing, "Remember that this was YOUR idea... Your dog did not sign the entry form. Remember to smile at him and make sure He has a good time!"


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,646
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post

In APDT you compete in "A" at each level until you have earned your title at that level (3 qualifying scores), after which yo can continue to compete at that level, but in the "B" class. This part is similar to AKC, but in APDT, people can continue to compete in the "B" classes indefinitely, meaning that we are now. Competing against dogs with advanced titles. You still get your Q's based on score, not place, but to get a place ribbon, you have to score REALLY high. We were actually close on Sat... The 5th place dog was 207 and we were 205, so I was really happy with that!

I especially like APTD for starting a young dog in the ring because you can use food in the ring as a reward ONLY (no luring is allowed) at certain spots. It can be a great way to keep your dog happy, focused on you and having a good time when they are new to a trial situation.
Thank you for the response, Karen and Laughing Magpie (is your name Robbie?).

Karen, I am not sure I understand - are you saying that a person/dog who has gotten their qualifications in an Advanced level of APDT Rally can come back and still compete at the Level I B level??

Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom

Last edited by motherslittlehelper; 01-24-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Apologies - wandered off topic
motherslittlehelper is offline  
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Lumi
 
Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 432
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow thats great... I don't know much about agility but I DO no a tired dog is a happy one and it sure sounds like Kodi is extremely happy
Ninja is offline  
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Congratulations of a successful weekend!!

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,323
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 294 Times in 292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
Karen, Its sounds like you both had a great time! Plenty of time for Kodi to earn lots of ribbons most of the dogs that I see winning are about 5 and I haven't seen any Havanese either. The only smaller dogs I see are Boarder Terriers (my DH had never seen one he thought they were a mixed breed, they are rare), I see lots of Lowchens, king charles spaniels, schnauzers and once a Tzu from NY. I bet Kody ends up with his points quickly.

Linda, Often the Agility is not listed in the main catalog, there is usually a supplement, in the old days at some shows Agility was off site at a local training club.
I think he did have fun. This was the first show where he didn't start out REALLY distracted by his surroundings. Of course, he has shown there once before, but it was last August. I am hoping it's more that he's just getting used to the show routine, and will be more comfortable wherever we are.

I LOVE border terriers... I think they are the only terrier I'd own. W have two different people at our training enter with borders, and they are lovely little dogs with the terrier spunk without the terrier attitude. I don't think Havs are common in performance sports in this area either, though we have several at our training center. (we're all in the same agility class, which is fun) but I haven't yet come acros another one in competition, and Kodi attracts a lot of attention because people don't know what he is. Then, it's funny what happens next. Because so many little long haired dogs are snarky, they always tentatively ask if he'll let them pet him. I tell them, of course, he loves eve one! Once they toxin him, they can't keep their hands off him because his coat feels so nice!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome