Havanese Forum banner

Observations from our walk today....with training question...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ama0722 
#1 ·
we walk Quincy all the time [our beagle] and now that the weather's nice; everyone's dog is hanging out in the front yard, and most without owners around...some on leads, some invisible fencing; even some loose with owners....

Most dogs practically attack us barking like crazy; little ones yipping like crazy....ugh. It got me wondering...is there any way to train your dogs to maybe sound the warning bark but once owner somehow lets them know it's ok, stop?

I know havs aren't supposed to be 'yippy' dogs but this has me a little concerned. I would not leave my dog in the front yard unsupervised [frankly I don't understand this trend], but I dont' want people to be terrorized walking by and I want my dog with me if I'm in front....some of my neighbors are going to get in trouble with their dogs.

Quincy barks in the back yard loose [fenced] but in the front yard I keep him close by so he is relatively calm and not at all scary.
Thanks.

Trish

#2 ·
I do have a slight problem with that. My three are on the electric fence & in the back & front yards. Lily does bark when someone comes buy, but my neighbors all know that she is on the fence & will not go past a certain point. We have been working with her and her barking so that she understands that someone walking by is commonplace & not need to be afraid. It is a very slow process, but she is getting better.

#3 ·
is there any way to train your dogs to maybe sound the warning bark but once owner somehow lets them know it's ok, stop?
Yes, but it takes training. Some Havs are easier to train in this area than others. I have one girl that insists on being our house alarm, but once I tell her it is OK, she still walks around grumbling under her breath as if she was testosterone-laden and was just challenged to a bar fight. I can still stop the outrageous barking, but I haven't worked with her enough to stop all the grunting afterwards.

#4 ·
Are you with her when she barks? See my neighbors

across the street who are good friends of ours. Our kids love their dogs but they are scared when we walk by on our walks. They have a german shepherd yellow lab mix and a basset hound. Not scary looking dogs. LOL. And the house next to them has another large mutt that is really scary. She will try to 'pounce' at us so it's startling. I know these dogs well and I am not afraid, just annoyed. But I have seen an unsuspecting person with their dog JUMP when the dogs start their barking...

Trish

#5 ·
We had a white dog that did that also...weird...and love the 'bar fight'

grumbling. Too funny.

I'm going to have to check out some dog training books....Quincy was never trained very well in general. Mostly my laziness plus his hound-ness didn't combine very well.

Trish

#6 ·
Mine stay out back by themselves, because it is completely fenced in. If they are out front, they are on leash and then attached to a stake, so they can't get off the property. They are never left alone out front. I am always with them.

Kodi does the same "bar fight" thing. It's so cute. Shelby just barks, and her bark is real funny. She bark is raspy, like she's hoarse. They think they're guard dogs - too funny. Does anybody ou there take their barking seriously?

#7 ·
A lot of trainers would say teach the command bark and then combine it with no. Dora never learned bark- she will do it on command when she is being really sassy. We just have a leave command which we originally taught with food, then added in distractions, etc. If I say leave it, Dora knows her attention needs to focus on me.

Good luck- I still have issues with the maltese (living up to yappy little dog title)
Amanda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.