View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 PM
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
Good article. I'll read it over again and try putting it into practice. By what age should pups be coming consistently when called? I'm wondering if I'm trying to train him too young to do too many things.
Many good breeders start some training with puppies before they even go home to their new owners. So it is NOT too early to be training. All of mine were in regular training by 8-9 weeks.

As far as a CONFIRMED recall is concerned, ESPECIALLY in a situation where you are calling them away from something interesting, it will be AT LEAST a year of DAILY errorless practice before you have a reliable recall. For some, even with regular, consistent practice, it's longer than that. For some BREEDS (mostly hounds, because they are BRED to follow their eyes or nose) some of them NEVER have a reliable recall in the open. And even with the ones that do, it's a skill that you have to keep brushing up on for a life time.

Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome