Havanese Forum banner

7 month pup with Polydipsia & Pollakiuria

729 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Cmward 
#1 ·
Hello, I've been very worried about my pup, Chica, since realizing she has these two issues. She's trained to go both outside and inside, but sometimes she can't wait until I get geared up with winter stuff and has an accident. She drinks water excessively and is so high strung (lots and lots of energy and activity) that the vet has put her on Trazadone. She's had an UTI which was negative, so now I wonder if I should have vet do blood tests to see if she has kidney issues. She spends 2-3 hrs. in a crate some days and on occasions she has soiled it, both pee and diarrhea! Can anyone relate? Suggestions? I'm would be deeply grateful for responses. She's such a happy, loving little girl but the peeing and excessive drinking is worrisome!
Thanks,
Cristina & Chica

#2 ·
Peeing that often at that age does sound like a lot. But I don't understand why she is having accidents in the house, if she is trained to use an indoor potty. If she can't hold it when crated for whatever length of time you need to be out, the easy solution is to set he up in an expen, with her bed in one end and her potty in the other end. Then she is not forced to soil her crate.

Putting a young puppy on an anti-anxiety med for having lots of energy and activity seems like a big step... MOST puppies have lots of energy and are very active. Have you worked with a behaviorist? Even if anti-anxiety meds are needed, almost all anxiety problems respond best if behavior modification techniques are applied along with medication.

Reactions: Jeanniek
#3 ·
I had this issue with my first Hav Apollo. He drank his bowl dry and his urine had the specific gravity of basically water according to the vet. He was tested for “water diabetes” or diabetes insipidus and a few other things. He turned out to be fine he just didn’t have an off switch when it came to drinking water, we switched him to a water bottle and that fixed his issue. I’d have your pup tested to be sure it is not a health issue, make sure you ask about diabetes insipidus I was told it was sometimes overlooked because it is rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.