Havanese Forum banner

indoor potty

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Mikki 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, its been a while. As I am thinking of the seasonal weather here in Florida, it brings memories of the dash we had to do to get out of our area almost 2 years ago this coming
September when "Irma" arrived! Evacuation is no fun. But, we managed and all turned out well. My Hav Reilly has been with us for 6 years now, we rescued him at age 2 and it is the
very best thing we have ever done. How we lived without him I cannot now imagine. Well, it is coming around to that Hurricane season again when we get things in order and ready
"just in case" and I began thinking of how Reilly will have to do potty inside. He never has. Last time when we evacuated, we were able to travel out of the area and he was able to
continue on his usual schedule outside. So, if no evacuation is called for, we will be stuck inside (or plan a vaca to run to in advance:wink2:. But seriously, as I don't post much, but am on here all the time reading and supporting the posts etc. I thought I would search for this inside potty business. Well, I found it posted: Ugodo, BLyss, Zumba, piddle place, The Rascal Dogs...
Just wonderful information. Now, question: Reilly is a large Have. Long and 20#..He is not overweight, but a big boy the vet said. Very healthy, very loving and just a natural lover..So,
before I go out and purchase one of these items, can they accommodate his size? I can look at them and see the sizes of them, but would rather hear from anyone who has used them. I
hope we may not have to, but I,m thinking it may not be a bad idea for him to get the idea its ok in a special place for him when needed. One never knows...So any response will be
greatly appreciated, especially if I find which one would be the better one to purchase for him. Then I can get at the business of training him to use it. Thank you one and all for the wonderful
topics and posts which have been so helpful and informative as this old gal taught the new 2 year old his life lessons.....He is just the best loving dog we have ever had.....my baby boy!
Hope I hear from someone about this indoor potty business. Terri (Reillys Mom)

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't help you with indoor potty training but I do have an indoor set up in my basement that I use during the harshest winter weather we may get where I live. It could be a below zero wind chill, high snow, or blizzard conditions. I use an expen placed over a tarp. I cover the tarp with newspapers. I put my girl in the pen and she will pee or poop if needed. She is strictly outdoor potty trained but did not have any trouble going inside when I needed her to.

#3 ·
Generally it seems like if you haven't been doing indoor pottying consistently all along then dogs generally won't start it as an older dog. I know that Perry will NOT use a potty pad when we're traveling - he'll hold it 20+ hours instead of using the pad that I put down for him.

If it were me in this situation, given that Perry won't use a pad, I would probably get a box and put some sod/ turf in it for the duration. At least that would be "real" grass and you might have a chance of getting him to use that.

#8 ·
Generally it seems like if you haven't been doing indoor pottying consistently all along then dogs generally won't start it as an older dog. I know that Perry will NOT use a potty pad when we're traveling - he'll hold it 20+ hours instead of using the pad that I put down for him.

If it were me in this situation, given that Perry won't use a pad, I would probably get a box and put some sod/ turf in it for the duration. At least that would be "real" grass and you might have a chance of getting him to use that.
I agree. I have not yet heard of anyone who has been successful in training an older dog to use an indoor potty. It seems to be against their religion if it is not taught early.

The best boxes for larger Havanese were the "Big Squirt" version of the Rascal Dog, but as far as I know, they are not currently available in the US. Kodi (who is not as large as your guy, but is on the larger end) can now position himself on a UgoDog properly to pee, but he is very experienced with it. He has to stand in one specific position for it to work for him. I'm not sure he could poop on it.

As Melissa said here, if I had to set up something on short notice, I think I'd get a BIG piece of sod. But I'd probably get a bigger piece that would fit in any standard litter box. Then I'd use Molly's mom's idea, and put down a tarp inside and expen and put the sod on top of that. That will give him plenty of space to make his "potty circle" and also smell more familiar. If you can catch some of his pee and put that on the sod, it will also encourage him to use it.

Good luck! This isn't an easy thing to do!

#4 ·
Our breeder started our puppy on indoor and outdoor potty training and I did continue it through the first winter. We didn’t practice enough in the summer and by the next winter he forgot the skill and wouldn’t use it in his own. However, in a pinch I can put him on it and tell him to “go potty” and he will, and I’m thankful for that. I’ve heard it’s difficult to teach a dog to seek out an indoor potty and use it independently if he isn’t a puppy. Maybe if you work on teaching him to go on command right away and in different places it would help get him to go indoors in an emergency or out of the ordinary situation.

Good luck!

#5 ·
on command

Our breeder started our puppy on indoor and outdoor potty training and I did continue it through the first winter. We didn't practice enough in the summer and by the next winter he forgot the skill and wouldn't use it in his own. However, in a pinch I can put him on it and tell him to "go potty" and he will, and I'm thankful for that. I've heard it's difficult to teach a dog to seek out an indoor potty and use it independently if he isn't a puppy. Maybe if you work on teaching him to go on command right away and in different places it would help get him to go indoors in an emergency or out of the ordinary situation.

Good luck!
Perry mostly will potty on command (to the point that we joke that we need to record my voice saying 'go potty' when Grammy is babysitting because he'll wander and wander and forget to go when she has him but when I take him out he goes very quickly), but he refuses to go on the potty pad even with the command. It's worth a try though.

#6 ·
Hopefully someone else with a bigger Havanese will jump in and tell you. Karen’s Kodi is a big boy. And she is one that recommended the Ugodog. That is a big litter box, though when I tried to order more of those, I could find them nowhere, and the company did not respond to my question of when they would be available. When I got Blyss, I was very concerned about the size, even though Zumba is barely 8 lbs. It was so much smaller than the Ugodog. But she did finally take to it. My recommendation would be is to write to the company and ask them your question.

#10 ·
Hopefully someone else with a bigger Havanese will jump in and tell you. Karen's Kodi is a big boy. And she is one that recommended the Ugodog. That is a big litter box, though when I tried to order more of those, I could find them nowhere, and the company did not respond to my question of when they would be available. When I got Blyss, I was very concerned about the size, even though Zumba is barely 8 lbs. It was so much smaller than the Ugodog. But she did finally take to it. My recommendation would be is to write to the company and ask them your question.
It is Rascal Dog that was, IMO, the best, and is no longer available in the US (though it is in the UK the last time I looked into it. But I just went to the UgoDog site and saw that they, too list both sizes as "out of stock" Too bad. It seems harder and harder to find a box that is large enough, works with litter and also has a grate.

But for the OP. this one might work: https://smile.amazon.com/Synturfmat...1MM5HB7MJ3B&psc=1&refRID=FWYMKRZMQ1MM5HB7MJ3B

I would not use the fake grass, however, for two reasons. First, he probably won't accept it anyway. Second, if he does, there is NO WAY to get the stink out of it. Believe me, I tried the fake grass at one point tried MANY ways of cleaning it, and there was no way I could live with the smell!

#9 ·
I've been in FL now for 25 hurricane seasons and I just time potty breaks around the weather. But I am considering purchasing a few pieces of sod and laying it in my backyard in a currently mulched garden. If a hurricane is coming, I would put a cheap tarp down in the garage and bring the sod in. Put it on the tarp and that would be Shadow's toilet area. Then it would be relocated back to the yard for the next storm.
Those little grass potty systems look pretty small to me.

#11 ·
That's a great idea, though, to get the dog used to pottying on the sod outdoors first, then bring that SAME sod, with his smell on it, indoors when/if needed!

Reactions: Melissa Brill
#12 ·
This idea would not work if you have to evacuate though. I am about 6 miles from the coast and the highest ground in the county. It's in the last evacuation zone. That's why I picked this home and why I've stayed here for so long. In 25 years, the power has gone out once due to a storm for anything more than a few minutes. Two years ago, we lost power for 16 hours. Very thankful for it to come back on but many areas were up to 2 weeks.

#13 ·
Thank you all so much for your input! I can use some of each idea together and make an inside working place for the potty for him. I think he may go for the real grass and tarp idea- I don't have any idea
if he ever had any inside "potty" training. He was already perfectly potty trained for outside when we rescued him.(Nice surprise!) Karen, wonderful. You hit the nail on the head. I have a large litter box from our cat in our garage on a shelf. ( She is gone 10 years, glad I didn't listen to the Mr. and get rid of it.)Perfect. I will get the large piece of sod, tarp, newspaper etc. and be ready. It is worth a try! I can't thank all of you enough. Molly, Tere, Melissa, Eva, Jeanniek, Barbara, Karen. What a wonderful group of members for us Hav families to count on for help. Thank you so much. I will get it ready for use and see if he is curious when he sees it...Ill try and introduce him to it and see how that goes. Maybe we won't be needing it, but nice to be prepared for anything.

#15 ·
With prime time hurricane season almost here, I have given this (too much) thought.
Pinch A Penny pools gives (free) liners for your trunk when you buy liquid chlorine. I think they are disposable cat litter box liners. I must have 10 of them in the garage. They are the perfect fit for a piece of sod that I have bought recently. I think different places have bigger and smaller pieces though. I am going to put maybe 8 pieces in the liners in my yard in the trays and then put it on the tarp!!
Oh boy, I have really overthought this one!:grin2:

#16 ·
Look at the different sizes of Sterilite plastic boxes in some place like Walmart, and if you find one that will work, put some sod in that. If that works, you can then start putting some litter in the corners, and gradually over more area, until you no longer need to have the sod.

We use Equine Pine Pellets from Tractor Supply, which are 5.99 for a 40 pound bag. We start puppies at 3 weeks old on them, but for an adult dog, you're going to have to trick them into learning to use pellets.

#17 ·
Oh! Pools! That's another idea! What about the smallest size kiddie pool you can get with the sod inside it? Two people could carry it inside or outside, or even put it in a (big) car in the case of evacuation.

I would definitely first try to get him to use it outdoors, since that's what he's used to. Then when he has already pottied on it, bring it indoors to where ever you plan to keep it and start working with him there.

#18 ·
A kiddie pool would be perfect but getting it home is the problem. I have a small sedan, it would never fit.
A friend bought the smallest one and broke trying to get it in her minivan. She was shocked at how really big and bulky they are.
I'm going with the (free) kitty litter trays. They are about 3 inches tall. I may even purchase a firehydrant to put in the center. I used to have one in my yard years ago, left it when I moved. The dogs loved it!

#19 ·
I was mostly talking about the OP, whose dog has never used an indoor potty. (as far as she knows) But you're right, it totally depends on the size car available. That's why an ex-pen with a tarp inside also makes a good option... THat fits in just about any car. And the sod can be rolled up in the tarp and put in the trunk if you really need to evacuate. I don't think you'd need enough sod to cover the whole bottom. Just enough that the dog can wander around on it a little.

#21 ·
HI again: the pinch a penny liners are a great idea too! Yes, I am in Naples and this is the first we have had a problem with severe Hurricanes. Most have passed us going up the west coast of Florida and then heading more west. We did have 2 a few years back, but the normal wind and rain. We have been here 23 years and evacuation surprised me. Guess I shouldn't have been surprised with what is going on all around the
country as to weather events. Its so crazy, Mother Nature is sure angry over something we are doing to her home I guess. The tips for my preparation are great and so I begin (in case). As they say in "OZ"
Oh my,.... sod...., and pools...., tarps and boxes.... Oh my, I'd better begin!!! Seriously, its been a delight to find out many ideas to help me and I so really appreciate it. I did pick up a nice piece of sod to start today, and so I will take the advice Karen and set it up outside to give him a start. Besides this is an adventure into the unknown for me...I think a productive one, as who knows if I will need to use it in any emergency...I
almost forgot: Reilly send all of you Sloppy kisses for helping.

#25 ·
I just use a large washable piddle pad . Maddie likes to walk around back and forth so she needs extra space . My floor never gets wet . I also make them for sale at my etsy shop. Maddie likes the 34x 36 size . It would be easy to travel with . Mine go both outdoor and indoor but are used to using them. If you have access to a washing machine during a disaster or maybe hand washing and hanging to dry it might work good.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/484441459/washable-dog-piddle-pad-pet-piddle-pad?ref=shop_home_active_5

#27 ·
Richell Paw Tray Mesh Training Tray is a large potty tray. Not as large as the UgDog but it's a good size. I have two of these and use the Equine Horse Pellets in them. They are not as deep as UgoDog or the Blyss but I've found you don't need a deep layer of pellets. When the dog pees on the pellets they expand and one layer works great. The way this potty snaps down, you have to make sure there are NO pellets along the edge of the tray. If you're looking for a larger tray you might check this tray out.

I have UgoDog and use it, too. It's very large and hard to hide. I have the Blyss and found it works in small areas. Patti is 12-14lbs and she's learned how to position herself on the trays. Occasionally she'll stand on the edge, with butt off the tray so I have a bathroom rug with a rubber back that sticks out about an inches on those occasions that might happen. This happens on the large one small trays.

Attachments

#30 ·
Great idea. I clicked on the Etsy site you provided, but alas, Sold Out! I think they looked wonderful and was thinking what nice xmas gifts they would make for pet owners. Will you be selling more? I will keep
checking the site if you are. Thanks for the suggestion, the pad looks like it will do a good job. Right now we are working on the fresh grass and tarp. He seems to be thinking about it. Just time. I am going to go out today and scoop us some grass he just peed on and incorporate it into the piece of sod we fixed up with the tarp. He keeps looking at it, and then back at me, so I am trying to encourage him, but he seem a bit bewildered by it all right now. I think if it is very nasty out, and he really has to use a potty, he will go on this. Let you all know. And please do let me know when you have more piddle pads back on Etsy.

#31 ·
Starting out I used the Astro Turf, that looks like grass. Horrible product IMO. It can be washed but you cannot get the stench out. I thought, about using real grass sod but didn't want to have to replace every it few weeks and I didn't want it in my house, as I was wanting to indoor house train Patti. But!! for dogs who are not Indoor Potty Tray Trained .... I can see a use for grass sod when it's difficult for a dog to get outside ... in a basement type area of mud room. The tarp, sod patches and an ex-pen sounds like the perfect solution. I read about a couple who lived part-time on a house board. They had large dogs and placed patches of sod in an area on the boat and the dogs used those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.