Havanese Forum banner

leg lifting

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
Does your male dog lift his leg to go pee? Gryff has started lifting his leg, but not against a tree or anything else. He just stands there on three legs to pee.

#4 ·
Interesting. Stella is obviously female so I don't know anything about it. However, I saw the most amazing thing at the dog park last night. A little Chihuahua cross male stood on his front paws to pee, doing a handstand!! Both of his back legs were in the air. It was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. The owner says he does it all the time. And I thought he was just showing off for Stella :wink:

#5 ·
Milo lifts his leg and has for a long time now.

#6 · (Edited)
Riley lifts.... and rather loves to do so. He throws his little leg so high, it looks like he's gonna fall right over!

It's strange though...I have my patio fenced off with a doggy door and put a pooch pad in the area where I want him to go. He goes to that area and squats. I have never seen him lift his leg on the patio, even though I have a lot of object (chairs, table, planters) out there to lift on. The minute I put his leash on and take him out the front door...he annoints every tree and bush in the complex.

#7 ·
same here, Henry was neutered at 6 months, and had always peed with the "lean forward" approach.
It was not until he was just over a year old when that leg started going up.

So now he does a combination of both depending on where we are standing for his business.

#9 ·
Piaget is over a year old, not neutered and still prefers to squat, although it has turned into a funny lean with his legs stretched out. He will lift his leg on occasion (to mark his favorite post), but he is a squatter most of the time.

I am always amused when I see a young male lift his leg for the first time as they always seem to lift it too high and get off balance.

#11 ·
Piaget is over a year old, not neutered and still prefers to squat, although it has turned into a funny lean with his legs stretched out. He will lift his leg on occasion (to mark his favorite post), but he is a squatter most of the time.

I am always amused when I see a young male lift his leg for the first time as they always seem to lift it too high and get off balance.
That is SO like Yoyo (getting off balance). He didn't start to lift his leg until about 1 year old, and we thought that because he was neutered at 6 months we had eliminated the urge to lift the leg, but nope, he started to do it, and for some wierd reason I thought "aww, my little boy has grown up".

But what was also amusing was that he'd stumble when he lifted his leg and a few times he lifted his leg against a tall blade of grass. Guess when he has to go, he has to go...

#10 ·
A little Chihuahua cross male stood on his front paws to pee, doing a handstand!! Both of his back legs were in the air.
That must be a Chihuahua trait. Whenever we would dog sit our former neighbor's Chihuahua, Chloe, she would do the same thing. She could walk all over the grass on her front legs to the point where her body was almost verticle. That was how she did both #1 and #2. Of course when she was done peeing we had to wipe down her front paws because you can imagine the route the pee took to the ground.

#15 ·
Out of the two males I dog-sat for, one did all the time and the other one did occasionally..more like a marking thing with one of them.

I haven't seen Gucci lift her leg...yet. Ya never know, right? lol

I think I'd die of laughter if she did.

Kara

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.