Havanese Forum banner

Greetings

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  The Fussy Puppy Gang 
#1 ·
Hi All. Wow I just love posting a new thread and sitting back and viewing the replies sometimes, it does great for the training of our little ones when we can get the many faceted respones. Radar has taken to jumping up alot when he sees me when I get home from work in the afternoon. He'll jump on me like crazy. What I wanted to know is if other Hav families let their little ones engage in this behavious before they greet their little ones or do you wait until they have calmed down before you gree them. I know all about the Alpha Male relationship with the small breed dog and how there are sometimes when you just can't let the dog behave like that because they will jump on family members and guests when they visit. My Wife allows him to jump but I forbid him to so because I think if he does it with small children then he may get hurt if the small one gets scared and freaks out and steps on him. I may have even posted something simialar to this before.

Derek

#2 ·
Derek, I guess there is the right way to do it, and then the wrong way -haha. All the trainers I talk to so you should give them NO attention until they calm down. cross your arms and turn your back to them, and only pet and praise when they are calm. I tried it, but I get just as excited to come home and see them so I am very bad, and allow the behavior:fish:
I think it also depends on how aggressive they are with their actual greeting.
Laurie

#3 ·
Yeah I hear Ya. I really want to train him sometimes to be calm but it just gets the best of me. He's very good afterward but it's just the inital greeting he has a problem with. He can be a really calm dog when he wants to. I've been training him right now to stay when I give him a treat and then he'll look at me for a command to get the treat. I'll say "Go Ahead" and then he'll eat it.

Radar's been coming along quite well in the potty training Dept. as well. Very minimal accidents so far. We've been keeping the ex-pen open while we are neaby to keep an eye on him. This morning he did #2 in the litter box without us watching him. He goes twice in the morning usually ten to fifteen minutes apart. He has been getting small treat when he goes up until he goes #2 strictly for the praise and not the praise and the treat. I think when we eventually get a second Hav and a third perhaps Radar will be able to assist us in the training process for the little pups. He'll be the big boy then.

Derek

#4 ·
Jumping up is a :nono: at my house.Neither of my dogs are allowed.Quincy often forgets,but he is ignored till he is calm and can sit.Then he can be petted.He knows exactly who makes him mind and who doesn't...my daughter is notorious for rewarding his jumping up with picking him up!Like Paige,we use Cesar's methods as much as possible,and it is a work in progress.It is on-going,because of my daughter,friends that you have to repeatedly remind etc.It is worth it in the end though.My guys also are not allowed on any furniture....ever.Vinnie has never even tried,Quincy did once..........:peace:

#5 ·
I do use that method when it is meal time. My guys used to jump up on me while I was making the food, and then to get it.
Now they have to sit, look at me for a full 10 seconds to get their food. Lily gets her first, then Lexi & Logan wiggle to their feeding places, sit and watch me. Poor Logan he almost cant keep his butt from moving, but he is getting better. I know I should do that when we come home too - maybe this weekend we will start working on that.
Laurie

#6 ·
In our house it is very similar, we do not give him any attention until he is really calm and not jumping up. When Oreo finally settles and sits, and he is nice and mellow we give him gentle cuddles and we do it as calmly as we can to keep him from bouncing off the walls ;)

#7 ·
When I get home, they are very exited to see me. I walk in and don't totally ignore them. I just say "Hi, puppies" and go about whatever I have to do - check the mail, put the groceries away, etc. They do start to calm down. That's when I start to give them attention and lots of hugs.

The problem is when DH comes home. He gets down on the floor with them and they wrestle and leap over him.

#14 ·
Almost all of our dogs know not to jump up. One in particular does anyway. Him we ignore, turn our backs, walk away, etc. until he's calmed down.

This same dog also gets everyone barking when we pull into the driveway. We don't say 'hi' to anyone until they settle down.

Pepper doesn't jump up often. Usually when he needs or wants something. This morning his ball rolled under a table and he couldn't get it because of his E-collar. He ran into the kitchen, jumped up to hit my leg and, when I looked down at him, he ran back to the table and looked at me. He did this twice. I got the ball and he was a happy little boy.

Wanda :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.