Havanese Forum banner

Lexi Post-Spay

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  LexisMom 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a new member and I just wanted to thank you for the advice that you gave me (especially the onesie - lifesaver), as well as advice I gleaned from the forums regarding after-spay care. Lexi was spayed yesterday and she is doing really well. A little uncomfortable and not much of an appetite, but that is to be expected I suppose. Here's a pic :)

See less See more
#8 ·
The onesie just prevents her from licking/biting at her incision. The vet said that it is more common for males to fuss with the incision, but Lexi tried several times to get at it, so keeping her in the onesie has worked really well. I just snap the two outer snaps and her tail goes through the middle - voila! I didn't want to have to use the bitter apple spray and this has been a good alternative. Good luck with your spay - ours has gone smoothly (at least the first 24 hours), and I'm sure yours will too.

#13 ·
Oh my goodness, she looks like a little Tedy bear!! What a cutie in that pink onsie. I am so glad that it is working for you!!

My Lexi- sends your Lexi specials hugs and kisses for a quick recovery

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks for more well wishes! She's doing great today too. I am so glad that the worst is over. Laurie - your Lexi is SO adorable, thanks for the pic.

#20 ·
They are actually regular baby onesies! I just went to Target and bought a pack of 6-9 month old baby onesies (Lexi is 6.5 lbs) and they worked perfectly. You just snap the first and third snaps and their tail goes right through the hole where the second snap is. If you put it on so that the front of the onesie is on their back then it will fit just fine. The snapping and unsnapping is a little annoying every time they need to go outside, but Lexi didn't mind at all.

One thing I learned is that when you change their onesie, definitely check for matting. Lexi got mats under her arms/chest from wearing it for so many hours straight. It took a long time to comb her out! But the onesie was a great solution to the licking/biting of stitches. I hope that helps you!

#21 ·
The baby onesies are the best. But they do really lead to matting. Lola was so uncomfortable after her spay, I couldn't bear to think about combing out her mats myself. I had her groomed shortly afterward, and they clipped her chest and underarms pretty short and that kept the mats at bay.

#23 ·
You'll take her onesie and all?! Lol.

Oh my Anne... tell me about those mats. I would have had the groomer cut them out, but Lexi actually (oddly) really likes for me to brush and comb her. As soon as I get the brush and comb out her tail starts wagging. She'll lay down for me for 45 minutes at a time sometimes! She lays on my lap on her back for me just like in the photo of her at the beginning of the thread. I just started giving her treats afterward since it has been taking so long lately. I did start our daily/twice daily grooming sessions early though - as soon as we got her at 10 weeks and she certainly didn't like them at first.

Trust me though, she is a normal dog and HATES (hates, hates, hates) baths... and don't even get me started on blow drying. She wants no part of that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.