Havanese Forum banner

Centinal Brownm - HELP!

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  radar_jones 
#1 ·
Gave Beamer his Centinal Brown pill this morning, and he acting VERY lathargic.. sleeping most of the day. Not moving to much...

Is this a side affect of the pill?? I read on the net it can cause sleepiness.

Anyone have any experience in this??
Thanks..
Ryan

#2 ·
Sorry Ryan,
I don't use Centinel and have no experience with it at all...but I would watch him closely...if you have any doubt call your vet or take him in!Better safe then sorry!

#5 ·
Poor Beamer first his vaccs knock him out and now the Sentinal. I think you have a very sensitive little guy there. Like Julie said, keep an eye on him and call the vet if he gets any worse or no better.:sick:

#8 ·
Hi Ryan, how is Beamer doing this evening? I'm sure it's just a temporary thing and he'll be as right as rain in no time.

Keep us posted!

#9 ·
Ok,... Beamer is better this evening. He was VERY sleepy all afternoon and early evening. But now seems to be doing better. He played alo with my friends and now is sleeping his butt off. Maybe I was just over reacting, but I did not like what I was seeing.

I did call the after hours vet and told them the problem, ofcourse they told me to bring him in... $$$$$$$..

I checked on the web for Sentinal seide effects. And drowsiness is one of the side effects.

Hope he's fully back to normal tomorrow.

#10 ·
Hey Ryan. Sorry to hear the little guy had such an Odd Reaction to the Pill. Our Vet gave Radar the little liquid on the back of the neck to prevent Heartworm, Roundworm and other things including Fleas and Ticks. I would have thought that your Vet would have given Beamer the Same thing. Radar had no reaction at all to the Revolution except we couldn't really touch him there until it had absorbved into the skin. He was great after that. I hope it all works out. We should set up a playdate after they both have had there final shots.

Derek

#11 ·
I am glad he is a little better. I do not use flea, tick stuff on my guys, unless they are going somewhere where there are ofther dogs so I was unaware of what that was. I have heard of the one that you put on their skin and too am surprised that they didnt give him that. I did use stuff on my cats years ago but they were not allowed to have anything until they were 6 months old so I am surprised that they give this med to such tiny babies.
Laurie

#12 ·
Sentinal contains flea birth control and heartworm prevention. But the way heartworm prevention works it is kinda back tracks and deworms your dog every month of the microfilaria ( baby heartworms still in the bloodstream ). So while this is happening your dog might feel kinda puny. As long as it is over in 24-48 hours. However you have to be careful - watch his gum color because they can wash out and need IV fluids and to be watched by a vet... I hope this helps a little bit...

#13 ·
Good to hear Beamer was fine after all. A little drowsiness isn't so bad, but I would have been worried too seeing him so very sleepy all day long.

We give Revolution to our cats and both dogs. I just can't fathom a single flea or tick in my house. I'm afraid I'm just too squeamish about them.

#14 ·
I did notice, now that my memory has been refreshed, that Shelby has loose stools after her Sentinel. Nothing else was different, just that. I'll have to take notice with the next dose and see what happens.

I won't stop the flea stuff, because I was seeing them in March. With 2 dogs and 3 cats, I need flea prevetion.

#15 ·
Hey Ryan. Well I have some news for you regarding the Sentinel. When My wife was at the Vet she was told BY THE VET that she wasn't going to sell her a whole pack of the Sentinel because of Radars WEIGHT. Beamer is small for his age so I would have to say that's why he's so drowsy when you give it to him. I would let your Vet know what I have told you and perhaps go with another course of action. A full dose may be too much for him to handle.

Best of luck and Pleae Keep us posted.

Derek.

#16 ·
Beamer looks to be better

Beamer looks to be better this morning! Still kinda sleepy.. but we have bene playing alot this morning.. and outside where it is quite HOT.

The Sentinal tab is for 1-10lb dogs.. So Beamer should be ok I would think as he is 3lbs (or more now since that weight was taken last week)...

Derek : Cheryl also gave Bamer the stuff behind the neck last Sunday when we picked him up. that stuff is not the same thing as the Sentinal pil is it??

Thanks!
Ryan

#17 ·
Hey Ryan. Glad to Hear about Beamer and that he's doing better. I didn't know that Cheryl had given Beamer a shot of the Revolution. Yeah it covers all that the pill is supposed to including Heartworm, Fleas, Ticks, Roundworm, Earmites and Mange Mites. So far I think that's it according to the Vet Report. I didn't know it was for the 1-10lb Range. My Wife was saying that there was no way that Radar should have a full does of the pill. I wonder why the difference of opinion in Vets.......:suspicious:

Derek

#18 ·
So if they are the same thing, why did Cheryl give it to Beamer on Sunday, then Igave him the pill yesterday. So that means he had the same treatment (1 pill form and 1 behind the neck) 2 times in 1 week?? why?????????????????????? I dont get it...??????????

#20 ·
Are you sure they are exactly the same thing??

Anyone here know about Revolution and Sentinal Brown?? Are they infact the same thing????

This has me worried now that he was given these 2 things within 1 week time span.. ??????????

#21 ·
Sounds like the poor little guy was overdosed. Do you have a big problem with fleas or ticks in your area? I don't use anything for fleas or ticks on my girls even when we take them camping and have never had either problem.

With such a tiny puppy I'd err on the side of caution and give the absolute smallest dose possible, despite what the label says. If he recently had vaccines be careful too because all that stuff in his tiny system at once could be too much.

I'm not a vet but I do err on the side of using the least amount of vaccine and other preventatives I possibly can. I do give Heartgard for heartworm prevention but I sometimes give a half dose instead of the full dose. The blood tests always come up good so it works.

Susan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.