Havanese Forum banner

free standing water bottle search

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  mintchip 
#1 ·
I'm hoping you can help again. I had seen some water bottle stands husbands had made and when I saw them I decided I realllllly want this type of water bottle for my puppy this summer. I've searched the net and just can't find what I want so I'm asking here if anyone knows where to find a good stand that holds a glass bottle?
Thanks much.

#3 ·
You've probably already found these links if you've been looking around, but I'll share them anyway. I don't know any that are made to hold glass bottles, and I suspect it is because it would take more work to make them more stable. A glass bottle is heavier than the plastic bottles and many of the stands made for the plastic bottles already get top-heavy when filled with water. Susan (mckennasedona) has been successful in this area, but he's a one-of-a-kind guy anyway.

http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/waterbottlestands.htm

http://www.pawscreations.com/

http://www.mrfooshihtzu.com/WaterBottleStands.html

http://www.uniquepetproductsblog.com/small-dog-products/4-keep-your-dog-dry-with-our-dog-water-bottle-stand/

#6 ·
Kimberly thanks for the links. I had seen the first 3 but not the last one and that might be doable for hubby!
I hadn't thought about the glass weight so I guess I'll stick with plastic bottles.

Since I'm new here when (and how) are the Hav. Rescue auctions?

#9 ·
Nanatotwo,
My husband makes the stainless steel one that Amanda posted about in a thread on the forum. It does hold a glass bottle because I don't like the idea of using plastic ones for my girls although it could hold a plastic bottle. It is made of stainless steel so it will not rust and it is welded together so it will pretty much last forever. It is adjustable in height. It weighs enough not to tip over but it is lightweight enough to be portable. It can be used inside or outside. It is designed to be unobtrusive and designed so that you can easily see when the bottle needs refilling. PM me if you are interested. I haven't yet posted a price for those who expressed an interest but I'm waiting to see if the price of the stainless has gone down, as DH is making four right now.
Leslie's husband makes the beautiful wooden ones that appear in the same thread.

#10 ·
Like Susan posted, my DH makes the wooden "furniture-like" stands. The one he made Tori is oak, but he can also do it in pine (which is less expensive and more lightweight) He can stain it, or paint it. Also, it can be customized to hold just a glass or plastic water bottle, or an "all-in-one" that holds both water bottle and food dish(es). Ours isn't adjustable, but he can easily make one that is.

As you can see, Tori's has 3 dishes (it was made to accommodate 2 dogs); one dish for water drips (there will always be a tiny bit of dripping, no matter what they tell you :)) and two dishes for food. Since we're still a one dog family, I use one dish for kibble and the other for her canned or raw.

Price will be dependent on materials (oak/pine, glass/plastic bottle), options/size (paint/stain, one/two/??? dishes), and cost of shipping. If you're interested, PM me w/your desires and I'll get him to give me a price.

Attachments

#15 ·
I gotta get a pic of Belle using it too :) I no longer use water bowls which is nice! Belle doesn't like the cheap little cage attached water bottle one from the dog shows so this one really helped. I think it is the way it swayed on the cage that keeps her from using it. The Neezers will use it in the bedroom but Belle will walk out to the kitchen to get her drinks.

#16 ·
Both of those stands are wonderful! I love the design and attractive look of Leslie's, but I love the smaller footprint & adjustable height of Susan's (Amanda's). Both of them are wonderful! Any chance that both of your husbands will get into making these and selling them?

#24 ·
ha!, i think it's great because i want one.
i liked that it was completely off the ground and i could have water in their pen without fear of them playing in it.

we had a visit to my friend's place and both mugs and kaylie figured it out in seconds. it was nice that they were refreshed and that their faces were dry when finsihed drinking.
joe

#22 ·
Colleen, no, they don't suck on it at all. There's a small ball on the tip that goes in when pushed against (which is what happens when they lick it with their tongue) letting water come out. Kubrick caught onto it in about 5 seconds. I just had to put my hand against it and let him lick the water from my fingers and he was doing it like a pro. :)

Some dogs do have a harder time picking it up, but it's not hard to teach. You can put some peanut butter or cream cheese on the tip and have the dog lick it off. Water will come out and it will click!

#26 ·
I'm actually thinking of getting one of Steve's to use outside. Tori is a major bowl tipper and one of those would keep the patio cement dry right outside the sliding door.

DH is able to make his adjustable, although, when Spunky was here, he was using it just fine. He had one in his ex-pen that was adjusted for his height, but he seemed to prefer using the one Tori used. He'd just place his front paws on the edge in front of the bowl and lick away! :)

#27 ·
Leslie,
I'd like to know what price your husband would charge for an oak, 3-dish, glass bottle, stained set-up like your photo. If I get another one I'd like it to look good in the dining room or family room like a piece of furniture.

The stainless steel would be great out on the deck, though! Susan, what is your DH charging for that one?

I need one of each!
:clap2:

#28 ·
Leslie,
I'd like to know what price your husband would charge for an oak, 3-dish, glass bottle, stained set-up like your photo. If I get another one I'd like it to look good in the dining room or family room like a piece of furniture.

The stainless steel would be great out on the deck, though! Susan, what is your DH charging for that one?

I need one of each!
:clap2:
Sheri~ I'll ask him and let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.