Havanese Forum banner

Dog food questions

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JeanMarie 
#1 ·
I would like to try out several types of dog food, but I am finding a 5 pound bag is going to last a long time.

What do you do? Do you finish out the bag and then try something else, do you mix foods together to get a variety, do you give one brand of food in morning and another brand at night?

I do not want to get Dexter use to a specific brand and never eat anything else. I do want him to have a variety, so he is not picky about what food is placed in front of him.

I am going for the healthier dry foods and doing the research. I have seen the dog food poll. Was wondering if the dog food poll is still active if not, can we get another poll active to see the popular foods again?

#2 ·
Many of the specialty pet food stores have sample bags you can try. I've seen small sample bags for free and larger ones for maybe $2.50. If you want to see how Dexter is going to do on a particular food, you'll probably have to buy the 5# bag and give it a try. You won't be able to tell more than if he likes it with just the sample.

#3 ·
I would recommend you go to The Dog Food Project. Once you find a good quality food that your dog likes don't mix other brands with it . You can switch a few months later if you want , but go to this site .It is very good for answering all kinds of questions. I am waiting for Sabine to do a consultation for me in two weeks. I filled out a detailed questionaire and sent it in to her. I will let you know how it goes. Right now you can get a basic food consultation for 22 dollars U.S. She knows her stuff . Here is the site http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

#4 ·
my vet once told me dogs don't get tired of eating the same thing day after day. it's familiar each time they eat but they don't say oh no, not wellness chicken kibble again. i have learned the hard way to keep it simple. if you want to mix it up, ask if they have sample bags, i know wellness does

#5 ·
Most places will take back opened bags of food within a certain time frame and with receipt. I am currently feeding wellness, but am finding him to have not very formed poop, so looking into solid gold, and innova. I think it depend on what is readily and easily available to you in your area also.

#6 ·
I have gone round and round with this. Riley will usually eat about anything I give him once or twice and then turn his nose up. I have finally settled on Ziwi Peak. You can google it and make up your own mind. It's pricy but he licks his bowl clean. When I think of the waste I've had with other foods...this pays for itself. I just started feeding him this with no problem and he's happy and his poos are regular and solid. (He loves the venison and their dried chicken jerky treats send him to heaven)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.