Havanese Forum banner

Opinions on doggy doors

792 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tuggersmom 
#1 ·
I apologize if there are already past threads on this subject. I never thought I could use a doggy door. Figured they would chose to go outside and just play, play, play and never come in. Yesterday was so gorgeus outside I left the back door open and they went out and came in at will. Of course, if they went out, I went out. When they came in, I came in. Made me wonder if I could have a doggy door (fenced back yard).

Would love to hear opinions yeah or nay, pros/cons and which ones are the most effective and which ones are worthless. I would definitely want one that locked so I have control over the comings and goings (especially unwelcomed racoons)

#3 ·
We put in the smallest dog door made. Both our dogs go into our fenced and secure yard at will. We love it and so do they! We bought ours at Home Depot. The magnetic catch stays closed in the wind for the most part. It came with a separate panel to close it off anytime you want to. We have been outside and watched Mo bring in an 18" wooden stake! She put the wood through the opening, then jumped through the door, and dragged it in from the inside. Thinking it was just a fluke, I put it back out into the yard, and she brought it in again. I frequently find things she brings in like sticks, rocks, and plant material. The other drawback is mud on my floors from their frequent unmonitored trips. I find the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Nancy

#4 ·
I just have to say my mini poodle, Sam, is not as smart as your Mo! One night we kept hearing the magnet clicking like someone was playing around at the door and not coming in. We yelled "come in already!" then turned around to see Sam with probably and 18-24" stick....but holding it is his mouth sideways. He couldn't figure out why when he was jumping to come in the door that he wasn't getting through!! Silly Dog!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Here is my response on the other doggie door thread.

1) Wall doggie door- The first picture-

The white frame in the back wall is the doggie door. It opened into our family room. I think the doggie door size is 8 1/2" to 11 ". We bought it from Petco or PetSmart. We later on extended our deck and the entire ex-pen with the roof sat on the deck. Benji and Lizzie both hate the rain so we covered the sides of the ex-pen with heavy duty shower curtain during the rainy season. We kept the piddle pads in the covered ex-pen and they got to go on dry piddle pads.

2) Sliding door insert doggie door- The last two pictures:

When we moved to Long Island, we installed an insert into our sliding doors of our family room and it works great. This door opens onto our covered patio and we have put the ex-pens all around the covered patio to contain them ( you can see the ex-pen in the pictures at the far end). I put piddle pads and a wooden plank on the covered patio as Benji is very fussy about having a dry floor to do his business. The silver frame on the right is the insert. I think DH bought it at Petco and we had a handyman insert it. If you have a security alarm on the door, you may have to extend the wire of the sensor, but it is nothing major. They can do it literally in 10 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails

#6 ·
We have had a doggy door for about 16 years. The pluses:

It was so easy to housebreak the dogs since they have all preferred to use the grass rather than the house.

When I am late getting back from some outing I don't worry about the dog or cat needing a break from the house.

The cons:
For years our male cat brought animals in from the outside as gifts to us. In the beginning they were always dead and usually mostly eaten. As the years passed he would bring in animals that were alive and then release them. I think he was trying to teach us to catch our own food LOL. He would release the rodent and then sit there and watch us catch it. I definitely did not enjoy those episodes.

Occasionally we have had other animals wander in, raccoons and neighborhood cats.

We have one that locks when needed so when intrusions became to much we just closed the door for a while to break the habit.

Triona

#7 ·
we have the smallest available

We have the smallest available sliding glass door with insert that can be locked if you want to. I had to throw out a treat to teach but they got it right away. We have to put a wooden block in the slats as the door doesn't lock now.

Our two cats liked it too as they could go outside and lie in the sun. We have a very small yard with high fences so we don't get any visitors except skunks...and luckily they haven't wondered in. It has been a housetraining life-saver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.