Son and his dog is gone - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jojofergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 156
Submit Photo: 13
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love cavs too and their health is the reason I haven't gotten one even though I have wanted one for years but I still want one so have decided to take the plunge I've only talked with one breeder I want to go visit before I decide if I'm getting puppy from her she has all the clearances on her current dogs but I'd still feel better visiting first
I'm in no hurry I want to enjoy the two I have as long as possible but when the time comes for Luna I do plan to get another dog more than likely it will be a cav I've considered many breeds Keeshond, papillon,golden retriever , shelties or another havanese but always go back to cavaliers
I want to try a lot of fun dog sports with sprocket when he's a little older he loves our obedience classes and I think he will love sports too and it will be good for my health I'm very overweight and he gets me moving! But I also want to do therapy work and it's obvious he would never enjoy that he likes people ok but he doesn't love them so I'm looking for a dog that absolutely adores people from the start




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krandall likes this.
Jojofergy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
ShamaMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,969
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojofergy View Post
But I also want to do therapy work and it's obvious he would never enjoy that he likes people ok but he doesn't love them so I'm looking for a dog that absolutely adores people from the start
I'm hoping Shama will still turn out to be a good therapy dog even though she's never been wild about being held. She does like people but on her own terms. She lets us pet her quite a bit if she's sitting on the floor next to us instead of in our laps. She tolerates being groomed in my lap much better than she used to. At a recent gathering of our extended family, she let two little girls braid her hair! Maybe Sprocket wouldn't enjoy therapy work, but maybe there are all sorts of therapy dogs, including those who provide entertainment at a distance and with limited physical contact? I'll continue to post about Shama's journey toward being a therapy dog . . .
Sheri and Jojofergy like this.

ShamaMama is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,597
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojofergy View Post
I love cavs too and their health is the reason I haven't gotten one even though I have wanted one for years but I still want one so have decided to take the plunge I've only talked with one breeder I want to go visit before I decide if I'm getting puppy from her she has all the clearances on her current dogs but I'd still feel better visiting first
I'm in no hurry I want to enjoy the two I have as long as possible but when the time comes for Luna I do plan to get another dog more than likely it will be a cav I've considered many breeds Keeshond, papillon,golden retriever , shelties or another havanese but always go back to cavaliers
I want to try a lot of fun dog sports with sprocket when he's a little older he loves our obedience classes and I think he will love sports too and it will be good for my health I'm very overweight and he gets me moving! But I also want to do therapy work and it's obvious he would never enjoy that he likes people ok but he doesn't love them so I'm looking for a dog that absolutely adores people from the start
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well,

Don't give up on Sprocket as a therapy dog... I said EXACTLY the same thing about Kodi at that age. Remember, he is in the middle of a "fear period" right now. At that age, Kodi LVOED people he knew, but would duck behind me if a stranger tried to pat him. After he was really grown up (over two) he changed completely. He has shown over and over that he knows JUST how to cotton up to elderly people, even those who THINK they "don't like dogs" and just charm the socks off of them. He has also been with me a few time when I met with very upset clients. He seems to understand that and just sits against their foot, waiting. Before long, I see the hand go down and start to stroke his head. He just stays their, leaning against them. He seems to be able to tell exactly what each person needs.
Sheri, ShamaMama and Jojofergy like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jojofergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 156
Submit Photo: 13
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Well,



Don't give up on Sprocket as a therapy dog... I said EXACTLY the same thing about Kodi at that age.


I hope that's true he's such a great dog but when he's around strangers he's very reserved he lets them pet him but that tail isnt wagging he doesn't seem to be enjoying it that much he sniffs and checks them out but he's not extremely friendly and he's still nervous around kids too I just don't want him to do something he doesn't really enjoy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojofergy is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,597
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojofergy View Post
I hope that's true he's such a great dog but when he's around strangers he's very reserved he lets them pet him but that tail isnt wagging he doesn't seem to be enjoying it that much he sniffs and checks them out but he's not extremely friendly and he's still nervous around kids too I just don't want him to do something he doesn't really enjoy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that change with age. But you are absolutely right not to push it, and I agree completely... I would never force my dogs into an activity they weren't happy with! You're a good dog mom!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome