Last Friday afternoon, Popi got a PM hot tip from a HF member. They said that the Baldwin Park Kaiser Hospital was taking reservations for the Covid vaccine in category 1a and 1b. Popi called immediately but their Covid vaccine reservation line was closed for the day and would not open again until 8:30am on Monday. I called at 8:30 exactly this morning but got the message that the reservation line was still closed, so I put my phone on continuous re-dial. Finally, at 8:45 they answered the phone. They said, can you come in at noon TODAY, and even though Baldwin Park is 70 miles from our residence over very busy freeways, I said, "save me a place!" Because of my recent heart surgery, I am in 1b category and since Momi lives with me and my caregiver, she could get a vaccination too. We were both vaccinated today. To go into some necessary detail:
- this program is only available to Kaiser members
- vaccination was no cost.
- even though the hospital was busy, it was not packed. I took us about 30 minutes total, 15 minutes for check-in and waiting in line (Kaiser medical staff was given priority which was fine with us) and 15 minutes for eyes-on observation for any reaction ( nobody had any reaction while we were there)
- some of the medical professionals were there getting their SECOND vaccination!
- 5 vaccination stations were open and about 20/25 people sitting in chairs for observation after vaccination
- we received the Moderna vaccine. we will get a second vaccination in 28 days (February 5 for us)
- The first vaccination gives a 50% immunity after 28 days. The second vaccination gives a 98/100% immunity after another 14 days (for us Feb, 19)
- the appointment for our second vaccination was given on the spot
- we were given a vaccination card with date and lot number of the vaccine. First and second vaccinations MUST BE FROM THE SAME LOT (I was warned, don't lose your card)! The vaccination verification card may be required at some public venues in the future.
- the inoculation was 100% painless (Momi agrees)
- side effects: I have an uncontrollable urge to eat a donut (I may need a second dose tomorrow) Momi says she has a very mild headache (which is unusual for her) but took a Tylenol and it is gone. Nothing else, no sore arms.
Essential points: we were NOT vaccinated with a live virus or a dead virus. We were vaccinated with a manufactured inert clone of the virus which fools the body into producing virus antibodies for immunity. We were not inoculated with any microchip (a lie circulated by the anti-vaxxer crowd)
I want to thank the HF member who gave me the heads up. You know who you are! You have thrown me a lifeline and I owe you
. HF is such a wonderful community, as good as family. The interesting thing is the human owners seem to take on all the characteristics of the Havanese breed over a period of time. So it really makes me wonder, WHO is teaching WHO?
I hope you will all be receiving news soon for your vaccination date. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER! I not only see a light at the end of the tunnel, I can see the end of the tunnel itself! Keep us all informed of your progress as we drag each other over the finish line.