Havanese Forum banner

Info may have saved Riley

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Patti McNeil 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went in an had my eyeliner and eyebrows tattooed on. The procedure itself isn't all that painfull but the aftermath can be after the numbing wears off. So I had my Dr. prescribe some pain meds for me. I was SO glad to have those pills cuz my eyes really started to HURT. I put my meds on the coffee table (in the closed bottle) and went upstairs to get something. When I came back down, Riley had the bottle on the floor and had chewed the top off and all the pills were spread out on the rug!

I was so freaked! I didn't remember how many pills were left and wasn't sure if the little bugger had eaten one or not! WELL...I remembered reading on the forum about giving hydrogen peroxide to your dog to make him throw up! I grabbed Riley and poured a teaspoon full down his throat then called my vet. He said I'd done the right thing but for Riley's weight (12 lbs), to give him 3 teaspoons and wait 5 mins. Well, that did the trick! He threw up! Still dont know if he ate a pill...it would have been disolved by then, but the Vet said to watch for sleepiness and and if I didn't see any change in 30 minutes...he'd be okay. Glad to say he's just fine.

Just wanted to share the story and maybe help someone else if that ever happens to you!

#9 · (Edited)
You what?

I am so sorry but I have to ask, now that he is ok. Which I am so glad by the way!
Ummmm......HELLO, HOW ARE YOUR EYES! Oh my goodness, you did what? Tattooed your eyes? We have to see pictures, please! hmmmmmm....... that is brave!!!!! How does one choose a tattooist to do your eyes? Do you ask?: how many has she done, what is your ratio of success, if she had ever blinded anyone? How long does this stay on, do you have to repeat it? Does it turn green? You are a brave women! How long does this take to heal? Do they swell up? Scab over? I would be worried my eyeballs would have little dots all over if the needle went through my lids. I gotta hear about this.LOL
I am glad your baby is ok. I hope you are ok too!......we only get one pair of eyes...to know a little needle was just millimeters away from the only two you have would freak me right out.

#10 ·
I am doing great, thank you! The lady I go to, Shawna, has been in the "permanent makeup" business for years. She came highly recommended by my dermatologist who gets her eyes done by her! She lined my eyes a couple of years ago and I loved the results. I went in for a touch up (which you need to do every few years, as it fades) and this time I had her do my brows as well. They turned out so beautiful!

You really need to do your homework if you ever want to do this. It IS permanent and especially with the brows you need someone who is artistic and very experienced. It's great to get up in the morning and just put on mascara and a bit of blush and you arer gtg! I'll post a picture in the coffee shop when the swelling goes down. :cool:

#13 ·
Jean, I'm so glad you remembered the hydrogen peroxide and were so "on the ball". Now that you mention it I remember reading that post, too, but I'm not sure I would have thought of it in the panic of the moment. I'm going to go make sure I have some and print the instructions on the bottle with permanent marker. Glad that Riley is okay!

I sure would like some permanent brows, too! Mine are super blonde and completely invisible - need mascara and eyebrow pencil everyday!!

#14 ·
You're a brave woman Jean! They would have to tie me to the chair or knock me out with a baseball bat to get close to my eyes like that. Anyone who can have that done has the ability to remember the hydrogen peroxide :hail:
So glad Riley is ok and looking forward to seeing pictures of you!

#15 ·
That is wonderful you were able to think quickly and under such stress. I learned that trick when Belle ate a king size caramello as a puppy. I have used it a few times since then as well. The only caution I remember hearing later at a pet first aid class, is you want to make sure the hydrogen peroxide wouldn't interact with the item swallowed. For poisons and medication, you probably should check with the vet first if you can.

And my advice, is to remove them from the carpeting and furniture after you do this. I was in such panic I had Belle on my bed and suddenly chocolate sauce projected everywhere.

#17 ·
One other thing I am going to do is get myself one of those syringes that you use to give liquid medicine. He was okay to give the first tsp full but fought the rest. Also, a friend said to plop them in the bathtub for this. Usually the HP is in the bathroom anyway and you don't have to clean the carper/comforter. (((hugs))) to Amanda! That had to be a mess.

#18 ·
Omg, Jean, your title had me soooo upset as I thought you lost Riley!!! I couldn't read your first post fast enough. Thank goodness he's o.k. I can breathe now. :) Don't scare me like that!! lol

You are very brave to get the permanent makeup done, but I'm sure it's wonderful not having to worry about that anymore.

#19 ·
Oh, my!! I am so glad you were home and caught that right away! Thanks for the reminder about the hydrogen peroxide. How very scary that was. I am so glad he is alright --- it is so very hard to keep your guard up all the time about keeping things out of the way of inquisitive dogs like Riley. Whew. He must have "big" dog teeth to get that container open!!

#21 ·
Having had to resort to the hydrogen peroxide once when Milo was a puppy, I remember it well. A caution though for other people on here. It's always safer to call your vet or poison control before administering it because they say there are some things that would harm the dog more if they regurgitated. Jean I can imagine your terror. I've been there.

As for your procedure, I'd happily spend hours applying makeup to my eyes before taking a chance on anything like that. You are indeed a brave woman.

#24 ·
I am so glad all turned out well, and Riley is fine. Smarty got a medicine bottle once, she just wanted me to catch her to get it back. I was really scared she would swallow something. I’ve been very careful with them ever since.

I’ve worn permanent make up for over 2 years, in fact had it done right before I got Smarty. I also had my lips done. That that is a real trip, mine looked like the red rubber lips you see around Halloween. I was ready to kill someone. Then the swelling went down, the color softened and I am super glad I did it.

#26 ·
Thank you for posting this story. Being new, also, I hadn't heard that about hydrogen peroxide. I'm glad everything turned out well. Thank you also to others who advise we call the vet first. I will have hydrogen peroxide on hand, and make sure the vet is on speed dial!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.