Havanese Forum banner

Castration/Bloodwork/MicroChip

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Havtahava 
#1 ·
My boys are scheduled for castration in the near future. When I made the appointment, the office went over some of the charges with me. One has a small hernia that will be taken care of at the same time. They also suggested pre op blood work and micro chipping of both while they are under anesthesia. This of course is times two. I obtained my boys from a very reputable breeder who does all the health checks and certifications on her dogs at the Ohio State University. She also shows her pups so she is selective in her breeding. The vet suggested the pre op blood work and I am wondering what you think. That alone will add an additional $100 dollars to that day. I know I could likely get all these procedures done a little less expensive somewhere else but I know people who have had trouble after a "discount" procedure and in the end cost them more having to go back to our vet. Hope that makes sense. Anyway do I need to do the blood work? Have you had an experience with this or do you know that this breed is susceptible to difficulties while under anesthesia? They said the blood work gives them a look at how the organs are functioning. Also does anyone have an opinion on micro chipping. Any bad side effects like infection or rejection? Thanks for the help. I am new to this forum and loving it.

#2 ·
Yes, definitely do the pre-op bloodwork. It's not that the breed is predisposed to problems but it's always a good idea for the vet to know exactly what's going on before they put the dog under. Hopefully your pups won't have to have surgery again so $100 is a decent price to pay for peace of mind. I agree you should avoid the low cost spay/neuter clinics unless you are familiar with the vet performing the procedure.

#9 ·
Exactly! In addition, get a copy of the bloodwork results for your own files. The vet will keep it on hand, but you'll have a backup copy just in case you ever travel with the dogs or move or whatever, but this will be your baseline information in case something happens with either of the boys. If you are ever in an emergency situation and need to run blood tests, you'll have these results to use to compare and see what has changed in xx amount of time. Being able to compare earlier results of blood tests has been very helpful for veterinarians, so consider it a small price to pay to prevent any problems during the neuter/castration as well as giving some information to have for the future too.

#3 ·
I'm sure most people on here will recommend that you get the blood work done.

I had both of mine neutered without the blood work and all was well.
Our vet didn't push it and for the same reasons you stated about the health-tested parents etc, I decided to save a little money.
The surgery here is very expensive and I have 2 dogs.
I recently had Chico's teeth cleaned under anesthesia and he had no problems.
When the dogs are older, we will need the bloodwork done prior to surgery.

#5 ·
I'm sure most people on here will recommend that you get the blood work done.

I had both of mine neutered without the blood work and all was well.
Our vet didn't push it and for the same reasons you stated about the health-tested parents etc, I decided to save a little money.
The surgery here is very expensive and I have 2 dogs.
I recently had Chico's teeth cleaned under anesthesia and he had no problems.
When the dogs are older, we will need the bloodwork done prior to surgery.
Awww how sweet. Your two look a lot like mine. Love the yin and the yang. It just turned out that way as they were the ones to choose us. Einstein (black) was show material and Watson was not. He has the cutest eye with no pigment around it and his lips are not solid colored and he has a target on his side. Watson is the happiest pup and Einstein is the serious thinker.

#4 ·
I would absolutlely get the bloodwork done-
I had the bloodwork done on one of my dogs before she got spayed- and the vet discovered that she didn't clot very quickly- thank goodness we found this out ahead of time, so the vet could take the necessary precautions during the procedure-- imagine had we not done the bloodwork, she could have bled out on the table!!

#6 ·
Definately get the Pre-op bloodwork! 100.00 is cheap for two dogs? I paid an extra 100.00 just for one! The bloodwork will check to make sure they are in good health before neutering and also give the vet a baseline reading. Although giong to a good breeder who health tests is a good step in the direction of avoiding serious health problems, it isn't an iron-clad guarentee. So just to be on the safe side, do it!

I would also say yes to the microchip. All my dogs are chipped!

#8 ·
Thanks Trudy, Yes your two do look like mine and I love the yin and Yang too.
Mine are 3 years apart in age. Your two puppies look so sweet and adorable and they must keep you really busy.
I can't imagine housebreaking two at once but I'm sure they give you many laughs to make it worth the effort. It must be so much fun to watch them RLH.

I knew you'd get the advice for the blood testing, just wanted to give another point of view.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.