Havanese Forum banner

The Bite

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Kati 
#1 ·
Hi everyone --

Well, we took Snoopy in for his first vet visit last week and for the most part he came through with flying colors. The one area of concern was with his bite. evidently his Canine Incisors are 'Medial' - which means his baby teeth are basically located where his adult canines would come in. I knew about this before I agreed to purchase him and am still very happy with the little guy.

Here's the rub -- My vet spoke with a vet dentist (I swear I didn't know such a person even existed!!) anyway, a picture of Snoops and a phone conversation between the two vets have me considering (strongly) their recommendation to put the SnoopDog under and pulling the two Canines to allow the adults to come in in the proper location. I'm good with that, as long as that's what I get - I'm not so good with that if it's being recommended by an "overabundance of caution" and no certainty of success.

My vet also offered to neuter him at the same time -- it's important to know that the offer was conditioned with a "I really don't want to, but it's an option I'll entertain for you as long as he's under already".....

What's the thinking with the members here. Should I go through with the pulling or 'Wait and see' how the adult teeth come in. Snoops is 4 months old. I think he's too young for neutering -- but can be convinced otherwise if there's a compelling reason.

Cheers!

Jim and Lynda and Snickers and the new P&P machine.

See less See more
#4 ·
Egads... The vet did a good job wigging you out. There was a thread about neutering just this week and I think they talked about the teeth thing, too.

We just had our cat (I know, I know, different species) neutered last month. Right on the permission form was a section asking permission to pull any remaining baby teeth.

I don't think 4 mos is too young (?), especially if he has to go under for his teeth. We are so used to the 6 month rule. I was shocked when we adopted Nessie from the Aussie Rescue. She was only 12 weeks and they had already spayed her. She was fine. Super-fast recovery.

#7 ·
#9 ·
No, not really a big push at all -- the vet just offered to do the neutering now, because the SnoopDog was going to be under anyway for his teeth. My real concern was whether to go for the dental work at all, or take my chances that the adult teeth come in in the right place - because if they come in in the wrong place then we have a 'real' mess on our hands.

After careful consideration I'm not going to have him neutered yet. We'll wait till he's 8 - 10 months old. Which means that I'll go ahead and probably have the dental work done on Monday as scheduled.

Cheers!

Jim and Lynda and Snickers and the new P&P machine Snoopy.

#12 ·
Thats probably a smart move, I waited longer to spay Gucci and there are some benefits to it, like letting their hormones help develop them a bit before they have to go bye bye, lol..but 9 mo is still young enough you can probably do it before any marking or stuff starts.

Kara

#13 ·
I agree, I would wait on both the teeth and neutering. I know there are pros and cons and just because it can be done does not mean it is best for the dog. Please read further on the advantages of waiting to neuter the dog until he is older and has matured more, then make up your mind. Sorry to be so strong in this feeling, but I really believe the trend to neuteer them younger and younger is a trend..
Of course please read both arguments and do your research and decide.

#14 ·
One problem I ran into was spraying in the house plus he wouldn't leave my cat alone. This started at 5 months. Once he was neutered it all but stopped. I don't know what you would do if you waited until he was 9 to 12 months old. Maybe my situation was different but I was ready to get it over with at 6 months. If you waited for a few weeks to get his teeth fixed and the marking behavior has started you might be ready for both procedures. It's a hard decision to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.