Havanese Forum banner

Tillie's getting spayed... gulp...

6K views 93 replies 19 participants last post by  TilliesMom 
#1 ·
The time has come... her appt is on Tuesday and I am freaking out. LOL
what do I need to prepare/have on hand for her? What size onsies do you reccomend? She is almost 8 lbs, 7 months old on the 12th (HOW did she get so 'old'!?) ... she will be coming home same day:whoo: and things will be calm-ish around here, so it's a great time to do it, but it is still major surgery and with it carries risks... sooooo, any advice to the freaked out doggie-mama? :ear:

#2 ·
We had a couple of "onesies" for Daisy and Beau. We also had an inflatable protective collar rather than the "cone of shame" to keep Daisy from licking stitches. Beau was too big for it - so we ended up getting him one like this: http://www.bestpetsuppliesguide.com/comfy-cone-soft-pet-e-collar-with-adjustable-velcro-closure/

As long as I was with them - I didn't make them wear the cones. They mostly had them on just a night. I brought chairs from the dining room and put them next to our bed - and put them in their crate at night - right at eye level so they could see me and I could hear them if they started to scratch of anything.

They heal VERY quickly and it's impossible to keep them still for long!!

Just hang in there and it will be over in no time!

#4 ·
not to worry Tammy. LOL Piece of cake. You won't feel any pain other than typical mommy pains. Is it laser or conventional. ? Molly had laser and was doing cartwheels the next day. :pound:

#9 ·
Whenever I get freaked out about stuff...like when I was learning to drive, ready to deliver my first child, have major surgery, etc., I just tell myself 'millions of people do this, have done this, etc. every day and if they can manage then sure as heck so can I.' That helps me put things in perspective. So just think of it in those terms...millions of dogs get spayed every day and they all do fine, as do their mommies...and maybe that will help. it really does help me. If not, a soothing herbal tea, something with chamomile, may help calm your nerves (I swear by my various teas) or if all else fails a shot of tequila should do the trick.
Good luck Tillie...Sammy and I will send extra good thoughts your way next week.

#13 ·
Lizzie was spayed at 25 weeks. She came home the same day and slept. She refused food-she looked like she was nauseated. The next day she was totally fine. In fact, it was hard to keep her quiet like she was supposed to be. Her stitches were under the skin and were absorbable. I don't know anything about using onesies as she did not need them for anything. I was totally freaked out, but she did great. I will be thinking about you and Tillie.

#14 ·
Sending Tillie positive thoughts for an uneventful procedure and speedy recovery! You might want to measure the onesies for length. Because of the length of the Havs, I found I needed a larger size than I thought I might. Could not go by weight. I can sympathize, as I was one of the nervous moms! I got LOTS of housecleaning done the morning I took Augie in - until I got the phone call that the surgery was over and that he was fine..just to keep busy - and let me tell you - I am NOT one who enjoys cleaning! :)

#17 ·
Yeah Tammy, and our house isn't far from Trish's. :pound:

#19 ·
Tammy, maybe I better take your temperature. I think you maybe coming down with MHS. :pound:

#21 ·
no , an hour northwest. Kitchener. Oh Oh an epidemic.

#24 ·
Oh, so that's about a three-hour drive :( darn. Well, if you're ever up in my neck of the woods (Kawarthas) make sure you let me know so you can stop by. That goes for any of you folks on this forum BTW.

:focus:
I'll keep that in mind, every Sept. we go to Kingston. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.