Looking for a Mentor in NY - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a Mentor in NY

Hi everyone.

I am new here and would love to learn more about the Havanese breed. I've seen too many sad stories about bad breeders and would like to help make a small change! My biggest motivation came after a horrifying experience working at a pet shop. I was lied to and made to believe that the puppies were from reputable breeders. I got my dog from that store and found out a year later that she came from one of the worst puppy mills in Missouri. I quit that day but not before I did some research on the puppies in store. 1 out of 15 was from a puppy mill. That was TOO much for me. I decided that day that I will never be a tool in helping puppy mills stay in business.

I am looking for a mentor who has experience with the Havanese breed. I want to learn as much as I can. Body structure, health, genetics and breeding show dogs. I want to do it correctly. I want to help enhance the breed. I don't intend to start on my own for at least 7-10 years and believe that this is the perfect time for me to learn.

I live in NYC and would love to hear back from experienced show breeders who can use an extra hand from time to time. I am intelligent and eager to learn. I am a pre-vet major as well so I do have knowledge about dogs both medically and behaviorally.
Arby186 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,503
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby186 View Post
Hi everyone.

I am new here and would love to learn more about the Havanese breed. I've seen too many sad stories about bad breeders and would like to help make a small change! My biggest motivation came after a horrifying experience working at a pet shop. I was lied to and made to believe that the puppies were from reputable breeders. I got my dog from that store and found out a year later that she came from one of the worst puppy mills in Missouri. I quit that day but not before I did some research on the puppies in store. 1 out of 15 was from a puppy mill. That was TOO much for me. I decided that day that I will never be a tool in helping puppy mills stay in business.

I am looking for a mentor who has experience with the Havanese breed. I want to learn as much as I can. Body structure, health, genetics and breeding show dogs. I want to do it correctly. I want to help enhance the breed. I don't intend to start on my own for at least 7-10 years and believe that this is the perfect time for me to learn.

I live in NYC and would love to hear back from experienced show breeders who can use an extra hand from time to time. I am intelligent and eager to learn. I am a pre-vet major as well so I do have knowledge about dogs both medically and behaviorally.
I'd be really surprised if only 1 in 15 pet store dogs came from a mill. Reputable breeders NEVER sell puppies to pet stores.

I think the best way for you to start to learn is to participate here on the forum, and read LOTS of back posts in the breeding, puppy and health sections.

Hopefully, a breeder in your area will contact you, but I don't know of any NY area breeders who post here with any frequency. And it seems to me that when people have posted here looking for puppies in the NYC area, there have been warnings about the breeders who are close. People have had to go farther afield to find reputable breeders. I do know there are good breeders in CT, RI, MA and NJ.

I also strongly urge you to go to some shows and get to know the Havanese people there. Watch the classes and ask questions. Some face-to-face time, and getting to know you personally by seeing you around is probably a better way to find a mentor than just asking for someone to step up out of the blue on a forum.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and please feel free to participate! Is the dog you have now a Havanese or another breed? If it's another breed, how did you get interested in Havs? Oh, and one forum "rule" is that you "have" to post pictures!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I'd be really surprised if only 1 in 15 pet store dogs came from a mill. Reputable breeders NEVER sell puppies to pet stores.

I think the best way for you to start to learn is to participate here on the forum, and read LOTS of back posts in the breeding, puppy and health sections.

Hopefully, a breeder in your area will contact you, but I don't know of any NY area breeders who post here with any frequency. And it seems to me that when people have posted here looking for puppies in the NYC area, there have been warnings about the breeders who are close. People have had to go farther afield to find reputable breeders. I do know there are good breeders in CT, RI, MA and NJ.

I also strongly urge you to go to some shows and get to know the Havanese people there. Watch the classes and ask questions. Some face-to-face time, and getting to know you personally by seeing you around is probably a better way to find a mentor than just asking for someone to step up out of the blue on a forum.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and please feel free to participate! Is the dog you have now a Havanese or another breed? If it's another breed, how did you get interested in Havs? Oh, and one forum "rule" is that you "have" to post pictures!
Thank you so much for your reply. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more puppies in that shop from a puppy mill. At the time that I checked there was only 1 but the owner is always getting in new puppies and many are probably from these breeding facilities. It’s really saddening.

My dog is not a Havanese. She is a Cavalier Spaniel/Shih Tzu mix. I am currently looking into adding a new Havanese addition into my family. I became interested in the breed after doing some research on breeds that are good with families, eager to please and have minimal shedding due to family allergies. After playing with a few Havanese dogs, I just knew that they would fit right in. I love their friendly characteristics, intelligence and sometimes clownish antics. They have so much personality; it was hard not to fall in love with them.

I look forward to participating in this forum. I have a lot to learn and this seems like the best place. I would be open to traveling to NJ if a breeder is open to mentoring me. I believe I would be of great assistance to anyone looking for a young and eager person to help them.

Last edited by Arby186; 06-10-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Arby186 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 851
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I started out a few years ago in a similar position as you. It's true what Karen said, there are no reputable breeders in the immediate NYC area that I am aware of. I live within 10 miles of GWB but am no experienced breeder. I used to groom full time and I wanted a small, intelligent family toy grooming breed to get into show grooming. Since getting my Hanna over 2 years ago, I have learned so much in the year before a got her and since. There is no manual for doing it the right way, you kind of have to do your homework and learn as you go. I started showing her in conformation but she just doesn't like it, is not comfortable around 1000+ other dogs and I don't want to stress her. If all goes well I will be breeding her next year and possibly adding a boy into the mix. It's very exciting to learn about showing/breeding and I've had to almost be a detective to piece together a better picture of her pedigree. Just ask questions, be open to critique, reach out to people , and keep an open mind. There are many roadblocks along the way, but just keep in mind to use the people that want to help you and move on from those that don't. It will be a rewarding experience.
atsilvers27 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
I started out a few years ago in a similar position as you. It's true what Karen said, there are no reputable breeders in the immediate NYC area that I am aware of. I live within 10 miles of GWB but am no experienced breeder. I used to groom full time and I wanted a small, intelligent family toy grooming breed to get into show grooming. Since getting my Hanna over 2 years ago, I have learned so much in the year before a got her and since. There is no manual for doing it the right way, you kind of have to do your homework and learn as you go. I started showing her in conformation but she just doesn't like it, is not comfortable around 1000+ other dogs and I don't want to stress her. If all goes well I will be breeding her next year and possibly adding a boy into the mix. It's very exciting to learn about showing/breeding and I've had to almost be a detective to piece together a better picture of her pedigree. Just ask questions, be open to critique, reach out to people , and keep an open mind. There are many roadblocks along the way, but just keep in mind to use the people that want to help you and move on from those that don't. It will be a rewarding experience.
Were you able to find anyone to mentor you? Do you go to shows often? I would love to attend my first show wit someone.
Arby186 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 851
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby186 View Post
Were you able to find anyone to mentor you? Do you go to shows often? I would love to attend my first show wit someone.
At the moment I am not going to shows. I would have to say anyone that has helped me in any way has been my mentor. A lot of people have contributed to teaching me, bo. inside and outside the forum, and there is still so much to learn. There is plenty of information here on the forum for you to choose a good breeder, and it also acts as a sounding board. Pick a good breeder that is willing to work with you and go from there.
atsilvers27 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Gaston, N.C.
Posts: 3,096
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 21 Times in 21 Posts
Keep an open mind about Anything anyone tells you, and accept nothing told by anyone as gospel. There are some Very opinionated people in dogs, and the opinions almost all vary from one person to the next.
Tom King is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Mom to Rosie
 
FancyNancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Paltz, NY
Posts: 454
Submit Photo: 40
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Do you mind if I ask which pet store in NYC? Was it the one near Bloomingdales?

FancyNancy is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
Do you mind if I ask which pet store in NYC? Was it the one near Bloomingdales?
No, It was in Queens

Is the one you referring to on Lexington and 62nd? There is a puppy store there called America's Kennel Club or something to that effect. They sell their dogs for thousands of dollars and most of them come from puppy mills. It makes me so mad to think about it.

BTW, side question- Is there a way to change the title of my post so that all breeders from the surrounding areas will look at it as well?
Arby186 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Mom to Rosie
 
FancyNancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Paltz, NY
Posts: 454
Submit Photo: 40
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
yes, thats the one. I go in there occasionally and harass the owner. I despise them. Let's go burn it down!!!

FancyNancy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome