Havanese Forum banner

This wake up thing again

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Carefulove 
#1 ·
Anybody ever change the sleeping arrangements for their puppy at 4+ months? Lucky has been sleeping in a crate in our room and waking at 5:15 a.m. whether he turns in at 8 p.m. or midnight. I was thinking that maybe he'd sleep later in the x pen in the kitchen (could even leave the crate with the door open there) OR that I'd be productively less responsive OR even in another bedroom (only our bedrooms are air conditioned)...We're not big on the sleep in our bed thing (he's already dug the stitches out of the comforter and wet our bed once and it's a high bed out of which a fall is no fun) but we do enjoy his company late in the evening (e.g. he's wild for American Idol which we watch upstairs). Is it too late to change the sleeping arrangements? Any ideas for what would be a positive change?? Many thanks for your experience and help.

#2 ·
Its been my experience that when mine wake up they need to go outside. We go out and on days we can sleep longer all settle back into bed. I think any dog can adjust to what ever you want him to do. I was never good at being consistent and could not stand the crying. Yes we have had accidents on the bed and I have furniture with holes from them chewing. I have never been a crate person with the exception of car travel. Maybe just take him out and then put him in his play area and get some ear plugs.

#3 ·
We go to bed early, and as a result, Kodi needs to potty early in the morning, usually around 6 - 6:30. But we take him out and put him back in his pen with his breakfast. He will then wait quietly for us to get up, no matter what time that is. Or if Dave gets up beforeI do, he sends Kodi upstairs, and he snuggles in with me until I'm ready to get up.

#4 ·
I changed my pup Sawyer's sleeping habits around 5 months I think. He is 8 months now. He was sleeping in a soft sided crate on the bed and then I just let him sleep on the bed without a crate. He was capable of jumping on/off the bed, so I was worried that he might jump down and potty in the bedroom. I put his pee pad in there and made sure the bedroom door was shut so he didn't roam the house. He was great! Never used the pee pad in the bedroom and ususally stayed on the bed all night long. He will now sleep 10-12 hours with me if that is how long I am in bed!!! So it can be done and it will get better!!

#5 ·
Thanks all. Well, Day one of the new routine (as suggested by you all). He awoke at 5:20, I took him out which he needed to do, and then served breakfast in X pen (closed gate) in kitchen and went back to bed where I am right now (okay it's only 6:35 a.m. but so far not a peep from Lucky). Thinking this is working and thanking you endlessly.

#8 ·
Benny goes in his crate in our room around 10 pm, then around 6:00 a.m. my husband gets up for work and takes him out to potty - then he brings him back and plops him on the bed, where he promptly curls up at my feet and sleeps until I get up - around 7:30 am. He eats when we come downstairs around 8 a.m.

#9 ·
Bumi could stay in his room for as long as we were sleeping. If he cried, just a simple sssshhh would quiet him down until we decieded to Get up.
Now; Toby... the minute that little monster hears a whisper he starts barking and banking on the gate and he doesn't stop until everyone is up. I tried taking him out, then putting him back in his xpen with his breakfast, but the minute he finishes the food, he starts the noise again, he just wants attention and will do anything to get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.