Havanese Forum banner

Waking us up

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TilliesMom 
#1 ·
We have been having a small issue with Tessa for the past few weeks and I'm hoping someone might have a couple of ideas. She will two in January. She is very shy dog and loves her crate. I work three and half days a week from 8:30 to 3:00 and she is crated during that time so holding her pee is not a problem. But lately, she is waking up in the middle of night 3-4 times a week, crying and growling to go out around 3:00 am. She usually has her last pee at 10 pm and my husband is up by 5:45 in the morning so she should be able to go all night. This has just started in the past few weeks. My only thought is that the weather up here has been terrible, raining almost every day and neither the dogs nor I like to walk in the rain so I'm thinking she is not getting enough exercise so she wakes up and just wants to go out. There doesn't seem to be any pattern though on which nights she gets up.

We had a problem earlier in the summer with the runs and infected anal glands but that has now clared up. I spent a small fortune on vet's bills so I'm hoping someone might have an idea before I take her in again.

Any ideas anyone?

#3 ·
Does she go right away when you take her out in the middle of the night? If so -- or if she goes frequently all the time, or if she seems to be uncomfortable when she goes -- it could be a UTI. But, I can tell you that Beau is almost 2 and he almost always gets me up in the middle of the night. Sometimes he wants to play, sometimes he asks to go out (and sometimes he actually does something when we go out), and sometimes he seems to just want to lick my eyelids!!!!! However, sometimes it's my fault. If I wake up, even a little, he knows it and we're both up for awhile!

#4 ·
I have to confess that it's my husband that gets up in the middle of the night with her. He just opens the back door and lets her out and doesn't go out with her. We have a completely fenced back yard with a wooded area that she loves so I don't know if she is going pee immediately or even if she is going at all. I was just worried because the waking up in the middle of the night is new. Usually she sleeps like a log right through the night until 5:45 or 6:00.

The UTI is a good suggestion though. I will keep an eye on her and if she doesn't start sleeping through the night again, I will take her back to the vet's yet again.

#5 ·
Like with puppies, not sure how long you give her access to water, but you might want to cut her off at 6pm or something.

I am a very light sleeper, and since I've had dogs (as long as I've owned a house), gosh 9-10 yrs now, I've really adjusted to the midnight, 2 am barking and the sound of the nailis on the hardwood floors when they pace or walk to a new sleeping place.

My little guy, 70% of the time needs to pee or poop in the middle of the nite. I know it's not good for the environment, but in the winter he won't even go outside if it's cold or wet, so I put a pee pad down for him.

UTI is a possibility, but you'd see frequent urination all day and night, not just nite.

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.