Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Experience with Orijen
After hearing so much about the quality of Orijen, and wanting the best nutrition for my puppy, I bit the bullet and ordered it. Eli has been eating it for over 3 weeks now and here are a few things I noticed:
- The ingredient list is really impressive; unlike any other dog food ingredient list I've read. Not sure why a dog needs chamomile or marigold flowers or a bunch of other stuff but it seems this is a very "wholistic" type of blend that helps to support health and immunity. It's also grain free.
- No smelly gas since we started!
- Poo is very firm and a lot less stinky.
- No tears at all, just a very tiny bit of dry eye crud, likely the results of dust and the dirt he plays with outside getting near/in his eye.
- Coat is silkly soft and luster is returning.
- Kibble is quite a bit larger than Science Diet so may not be appropriate for really small puppies.
- Smell. Great ingredients blended together seem to create a very strong, and a bit of an unpleasant, smell.
- Not available locally. Have to pay shipping charges.
- Biggest con by far - Eli has to be very hungry to eat it. Even though I mix with the same wet dog food, he has a very "take it or leave it" attitude toward it. This is a very food motivated dog so I am concerned when he skips meals or eats less.
I'm about halfway through the bag and not yet sure whether to continue with it. I know dogs won't starve themselves but I worry when he skips meals, particularly since he didn't eat for almost two days this week. It could be that he's growing up - 4.5 months and 6lbs 8oz - and simply doesn't need to be fed 3x per day. Still, 1/4 cup with more than half left over at each meal doesn't seem normal.
Since he pretty much ate the two other varieties I gave him before Orijen with gusto, I have to deduce that he doesn't like the taste very much. If anyone has experience with this food, please let me know how your dog reacted and if you still feed it. If I need to switch foods (again) I need to start the process soon and slowly. Thanks!