No Bones About It - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,715
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 109 Times in 107 Posts
No Bones About It

when feeding raw keep in mind these words from the author......

"If you are getting your meat/poultry from the store without bone added, calcium will be deficient and so must be added in the

form of powdered eggshell, ground soft bone and cartilage,or a calcium supplement. The organ meats must also be added as they

are an important source of minerals and fat soluble vitamins. If not feeding a diet complete with bones, I would start off

with a mixture of meat/ poultry (85%), organ mixture (10%), bone dust/cartilage (1%) and green tripe (4%) harvested from

grass or hay fed cattle. The proportions can vary between manufacturers.
This diet can be continued, or: I like to take 75% of the meat/poultry mixture and make the other 25% a variety of raw
colorful fruits (20%) and vegetables (80%) Of the fat present in the diet, 30% to 40% should be saturated, 30% to 50%

monounsaturated and 10% to 30% polyunsaturated. The polyunsaturated fats are further broken down to: 75% Omega-6 short

chained fatty acids, 20% Omega-3 short chained fatty acids, and 5% long chain fatty acids, EPA and DHA (Brown S, Unlocking

the canine ancestral diet, 2010: Dogwise Publishing). Meg Smart DVM PhD article from Dogs Naturally.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Carefulove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,530
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Dave, Nature's Pharmacy sells Bone Meal and it should be fed according to the dog's weight, in case you don't want to deal with the eggshells.
is also good to add probiotics to their food to keep a good balance in the intestinal flora. Again, Nature's Pharmacy sells it.

Zury

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.

Peluito's Phoenix King (Nix)
Carefulove is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,715
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 109 Times in 107 Posts
yeah , I just wanted to point out that it's not as simple as throwing some meat and veggies together.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Carefulove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,530
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
yeah , I just wanted to point out that it's not as simple as throwing some meat and veggies together.
Yeah, if you make it yourself is not as simple as rice and beans. But like with everything, you just need to do it a couple of times to get it right.

Zury

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.

Peluito's Phoenix King (Nix)
Carefulove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome