A little over two weeks ago, I got a call from the HALO former foster mom of our girl Dori (puppy mill rescue) and they had a need to move a foster from a home with male neutered dogs to a home with only girls because there was some attempted "raping" going on with a female puppy mill rescue that had an infection. I agreed to "FOSTER ONLY" Clover (AKA Chloe at our house) since she did not meet many of my wish list items for our next Havanese.
She has demonstrated less fear that Dori, but was still fearful and the transition was hard as she had settled into her former foster home. She is a very sweet dog and I was working hard to make her more adoptable. She had a big car sickness thing (think puppy mill rescues usually do) and we began a car therapy program. She quickly adapted to walking with Dori and the car therapy is going pretty well as long as I am in the back with her. She was catching on well and she is already velcro-like.
Since she had been on Petfinder for a while, there was a potential adopter shortly after she arrived at our house. The potential adopter had gone through the approval process and talked to the appropriate people, as well as the former foster mom who had been involved in medical treatment that occured after her Petfinder posting. She ended up having a stricture in her urethrea. She got an infection and it was unknown if there would be future problems because of it. She never pees very much at one time, but I have another female dog that does that too -- she wants to save it up to always have available to pee over another dog's pee. Her peeing and pooping is almost always right after Dori does it.
Long story short, the potential adopter decided she did not want to take a chance. My husband immediately jumped in and said Chloe should stay with us, and I was prepared to say YES if he initiated it. We had had a couple of incidents where Dori had gone after her and poor Chloe did not want to come near Dori (or me as she was afraid Dori would be there) for a few days. By the third day, she and Dori were back to being friends. We gave it a week after the last incident and all was well, so I took her to my vet yesterday got her checked out and microchiped. We officially adopted her.
There is a lot more to our story of getting another dog in the past few months, but I won't bore you with that -- but it is obvious, we needed to be there for Chloe and the other dogs went to great homes.
As you will see she is very cute and Dori and her could be twins (other than there coats being very different).
Mom to Jaime, Dori, and Chloe