I'm so excited!!! We've been going to the dog park 4-5 times a week for the last 4-6 weeks and in the last week Tess has been making progress in leaps and bounds - literally!
Today was a major breakthrough. I've had glimpses of many of these activities over the last year but rarely was any activity maintained for more than a few seconds. Well I don't know what made today so special but when Tess makes a breakthrough, she goes all out!!!
- When Cody climbed on my chest this morning for his ear rubs and snuggles, Tess frog-crawled up to the crook in my arm, gave me kisses and then rolled over for belly rubs. Cody got up ready to start his day and Tess stayed in bed with me, butt in the air, tail wagging, wanting to be petted and loved on.
- When I came home for lunch she wanted to play
- Before we went to the dog park she chased a little stuffed toy and ran around the house with it. (This has been an activity she's only started in the past few days.)
- At the dog park tonight SHE RAN AROUND, BUTT TUCKED, TONGUE OUT, EARS FLAPPING LIKE A LITTLE WILD DOG for 5-10 minutes. Not only was I amazed, everyone else in the park that knows her was too - they were all cheering. She even played chase with two of the other dogs!!! That was an absolute first.
- When we got home, after 2 hours at the park, Cody crashed but not Tess. She was initiating play with me - chasing me through the house, chasing a toy, giving me little play growls and barks; then she was initiating play with Cody - nipping at his heels, rolling on her back and biting at his ears and neck, trying to steal his toy.
I don't even have the words to describe how huge this has been for us. They are all normal activities for the average dog and it seems silly to be so excited but I thought the best we could do was to reach a point where Tess wasn't afraid around other dogs and people - not approach them or interact with them, just not afraid. Well forget that, no telling what this little character will accomplish!!!
And who else would understand and share my joy than all of you???
(Sorry, no pictures, it was getting too dark and I was too surprised!)