Digging box - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Teddy Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kenya
Posts: 278
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Digging box

Hi,
Teddy loves to dig for fun, to hide his food or toys. Problem is that I live in an apartment with no access to a garden and do not have an extra room or balcony that he can have to himself.
I suspect the digging may be his Westie genes (best guess of his breed is that he's a Havanese /West highland terrier cross).

He tends to love trying to dig and bury in a plastic pet bed (its the same size as his body and would be perfect for him to sleep in but he never agreed to that so we use it to keep his toys in one place). He cries and runs around trying to dig out sand (on the tiles) to bury toys or food when he cant do that in the plastic pet bed.

I think its unfair to deny his digging instincts (and I don't want to give him away). Thinking of build him a digging box to play in. This will be kept in the corner of the living room.

We can't use sand as it will bring in insects and get him and the apartment dirty but I was thinking of the following. What do you think would be best (other options also appreciated):

1. Filling with pieces of cloth (small pieces - roughly like half a face cloth in size so he can play with it too but not eat)

2. Cat litter - if he buries his food here, I'm worried that he may end up eating it and he could get sick? I assume if he digs in it it will fly around my place like sand?

3. Fish pond sand/stones - read this as an option for gerbils but not sure if it will be the same as sand or if he will get hurt

4. sponge - I could try get sponge sheets and cut into small pieces. Not sure of risks from potential bacteria that could accumulate from possible absorption of moisture from his buried food.

please help!!
Teddy Bear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,462
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post
Hi,
Teddy loves to dig for fun, to hide his food or toys. Problem is that I live in an apartment with no access to a garden and do not have an extra room or balcony that he can have to himself.
I suspect the digging may be his Westie genes (best guess of his breed is that he's a Havanese /West highland terrier cross).

He tends to love trying to dig and bury in a plastic pet bed (its the same size as his body and would be perfect for him to sleep in but he never agreed to that so we use it to keep his toys in one place). He cries and runs around trying to dig out sand (on the tiles) to bury toys or food when he cant do that in the plastic pet bed.

I think its unfair to deny his digging instincts (and I don't want to give him away). Thinking of build him a digging box to play in. This will be kept in the corner of the living room.

We can't use sand as it will bring in insects and get him and the apartment dirty but I was thinking of the following. What do you think would be best (other options also appreciated):

1. Filling with pieces of cloth (small pieces - roughly like half a face cloth in size so he can play with it too but not eat)

2. Cat litter - if he buries his food here, I'm worried that he may end up eating it and he could get sick? I assume if he digs in it it will fly around my place like sand?

3. Fish pond sand/stones - read this as an option for gerbils but not sure if it will be the same as sand or if he will get hurt

4. sponge - I could try get sponge sheets and cut into small pieces. Not sure of risks from potential bacteria that could accumulate from possible absorption of moisture from his buried food.

please help!!
I know you have some doubts about Teddy's genetic make-up, but rest assured that absolutely pure Havanese can inherit the "digging gene" too. Pixel has been a digger from the beginning!

I think your idea of the small-ish pieces of cloth to dig in is brilliant! If you can get it, I'd use the type of fleece that doesn't ravel. Then you don't have to worry about threads coming off the edges that could hurt him. I would NOT use cat litter, fish pond stones or sponges. Either of the first two are going to be a pain in the neck to clean up, and any of the three could be dangerous for him to ingest.

Another thing that many breeders do, and might satisfy Teddy's digging instincts is the fill a small kiddie pool with either small plastic balls or small, empty, water bottles. They make a nice, satisfying crackly noise and many dogs find them irresistable!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 1,606
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
but rest assured that absolutely pure Havanese can inherit the "digging gene" too.
True, Ricky is a digger too. He doesn't dig to bury things, he just likes to dig. Inside the house it is carpet, furniture, doggie day bed, crate mats, anything! Outside is in the garden where he will dig like a maniac for 10 seconds and them go chase a blowing leaf.

Quote:
Another thing that many breeders do, and might satisfy Teddy's digging instincts is the fill a small kiddie pool with either small plastic balls or small, empty, water bottles. They make a nice, satisfying crackly noise and many dogs find them irresistab
le!
Ricky loves, loves, loves empty plastic water bottles, the bigger the better! He prefers the one liter size. The crackly noise gets him all worked up. We always remove the label and the plastic retaining ring at the neck of the bottle, and the cap. Ricky can shred one of these bottles in as little as 10 minutes so we watch him carefully when playing with a bottle. We don't want him ingesting any plastic.

I found an old soccer ball in the bushes along the road the other day. I brought it home and Ricky was enthusiastic and is very good at playing soccer. He can guide the direction of the ball with his snout. Well, that game lasted all of about two days! Ricky was able to make some tears in the covering of the ball and then he started shredding it. End of soccer ball! Ricky is getting a present for Christmas that hopefully is more durable. But that is a secret until Christmas.

Ricky's Popi
krandall likes this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN


Last edited by Ricky Ricardo; 12-21-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Ricky Ricardo is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Molly120213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 3,394
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 137 Times in 136 Posts
Here is a link from Havanese World that might interest you.

Havanese Indoor "Bone Bury Box" Experiment | Havanese World
Sheri and krandall like this.



Diane and Molly
Molly120213 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,462
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Kodi has always loved bottles too. The bigger, the better. His preference is for 1 gallon water bottles with the handle. Here he is with one at about 5 months old. We were stuck in our RV in a hurricane, trying to entertain him for 48 hours, and the bottle helped... A LOT!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 08 Old Orchard Beach-13.jpg (48.5 KB, 3 views)
Sheri, whimsy and Ricky Ricardo like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 1,606
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Kodi has always loved bottles too. The bigger, the better. His preference is for 1 gallon water bottles with the handle.
Kodi, don't you dare show this picture to Ricky!!!!! I don't want him getting any new ideas.

Ricky's Popi

Ja, ja, ja I all ready sawed de foto. Kodi I wanna come too yur casa and play Bottle Pong wit yu!

su amigo, Ricky Ricardo
krandall likes this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN


Last edited by Ricky Ricardo; 12-21-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Ricky Ricardo is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Zoe093014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New york
Posts: 955
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Good ideas about the big plastic bottles. Zoe drives me crazy sometimes because she wants me to throw a ball every minute! And by the way, Ricky, she is great at soccer. You should see her lining up to take a shot!
Ricky Ricardo likes this.
Zoe093014 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 1,606
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe093014 View Post
And by the way, Ricky, she is great at soccer. You should see her lining up to take a shot!
GRATE! I need a good mid-fielder on mi team! I play goalie on team, I can jump hi an change direction fas. But Popi sez, Ricky when you block a shot yu supposed too go back too de goal, not dribble de ball two udder end of de field! Dats no fun.

besos, Ricky Ricardo
Zoe093014 likes this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN

Ricky Ricardo is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Teddy Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kenya
Posts: 278
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Teddy gets bored of fetch after a few mins but I wish he would have been willing to play all day!!

We live off bottled water out here and buy them in 18-20 Litre bottles. Teddy loves to chase these big water bottles around the house.

I give him small bottles (500 ml) to run around with. He loves this so much that we have to take it away from him at night as all our neighbours are now complaining about the noise.

Kiddie pool filled with plastic kiddie play balls or empty water bottles (easy to get) would be so much fun for him. No space for a kiddie pool in my apartment and would dread to think of all the complaints that I would get from the noise!

Will give the fleece pieces a try. Hopefully it satisfies his digging instinct and gives him something better to do rather than fight the cleaner for the mop or find new ways into my laundry basket (or shoe cupboard!). Lol

Krandall - Kodie is so cute with that bottle. Must have been terrifying for all of you to be in a hurricane.
Ricky - Teddy is so similar to you. he only wants to dig inside. when outside, he doesn't remember how much fun digging is.
Teddy Bear is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Zoe093014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New york
Posts: 955
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post
Teddy gets bored of fetch after a few mins but I wish he would have been willing to play all day!!

We live off bottled water out here and buy them in 18-20 Litre bottles. Teddy loves to chase these big water bottles around the house.

I give him small bottles (500 ml) to run around with. He loves this so much that we have to take it away from him at night as all our neighbours are now complaining about the noise.

Kiddie pool filled with plastic kiddie play balls or empty water bottles (easy to get) would be so much fun for him. No space for a kiddie pool in my apartment and would dread to think of all the complaints that I would get from the noise!

Will give the fleece pieces a try. Hopefully it satisfies his digging instinct and gives him something better to do rather than fight the cleaner for the mop or find new ways into my laundry basket (or shoe cupboard!). Lol

Krandall - Kodie is so cute with that bottle. Must have been terrifying for all of you to be in a hurricane.
Ricky - Teddy is so similar to you. he only wants to dig inside. when outside, he doesn't remember how much fun digging is.
We'll have to try these things. Zoe can drive you crazy when she's bored--like a little kid. She could literally play fetch all day long. You have no idea how that can eventually get to you! If you are not playing with her, she knows how to look up at you with those soft eyes and make soft cute little sounds, begging you to play. I could definitely see the benefits of agility to tire them out. At least that is somewhat entertaining for the human. LOL!
Zoe093014 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome