at what age can puppy sleep in separate room? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Nepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 86
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
at what age can puppy sleep in separate room?

Leo is now 16 weeks old. He has been sleeping in a crate next to our bed. My husband tends to make a bathroom run in the middle of the night and I tend to wake up for some water. It's hard for us to not make any noise and we hate waking up Leo in the middle of the night. At what age can a puppy be moved to the hallway or an adjacent room?

Leo does sleep through the night without a bathroom break. He sleeps from 10:30 pm to about 6 am.
Nepa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,517
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepa View Post
Leo is now 16 weeks old. He has been sleeping in a crate next to our bed. My husband tends to make a bathroom run in the middle of the night and I tend to wake up for some water. It's hard for us to not make any noise and we hate waking up Leo in the middle of the night. At what age can a puppy be moved to the hallway or an adjacent room?

Leo does sleep through the night without a bathroom break. He sleeps from 10:30 pm to about 6 am.
Well, Kodi slept in a different room from the time he was born until he was 2, and Dave relented and let him into the bedroom. All three have been there since.

Why do you think you need to be so quiet? Dogs are great at routine. Both Dave and I get up at least once or twice during the night, and the dogs never make a peep. Even if one of us has to get up earlier than usual in the morning, a site, "It's not time yet!" and they all settle back down.

Don't feel he HAS to stay in your bedroom, because if you really don't want him there, he WILL adjust to being elsewhere in the house. But don't feel like you have to move him to avoid disturbing him, either.!
Pucks104 and Nepa like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Zoe093014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New york
Posts: 955
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Don't worry about waking him up. They don't mind and will be perfectly quiet to wait for you. Dogs can fall asleep on a dime!
krandall, Pucks104 and Nepa like this.
Zoe093014 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
littlebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,829
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yup. It's amazing how quickly they can fall back asleep. I wish I had that ability!
Sheri, krandall, Pucks104 and 1 others like this.
littlebuddy is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Molly120213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 3,412
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 138 Times in 137 Posts
When I tried to move Molly to an adjacent room she wasn't a happy camper. I couldn't do it after hearing her cries. She is a good girl in my bedroom and doesn't make a peep. I get up during the night for one reason or another and it does not bother her in the least.



Diane and Molly
Molly120213 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Hava Novice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 130
Submit Photo: 69
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
We got Oreo at 11 weeks, and he slept in his crate next to our bed for about 2 weeks. At first he slept through the night perfectly. Then he started waking and barking every time my husband got up to go to the bathroom or snored. We moved him across the hall to the laundry room, closed our door and his, and put a white noise machine in there with him. He is 7 months old, and despite the closed doors and white noise machine, we still have to be very quiet or he will wake up and bark until one of us takes him out. We are held hostage and have to be silent Ninjas in our own bedroom!
Hava Novice is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Nepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 86
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly120213 View Post
When I tried to move Molly to an adjacent room she wasn't a happy camper. I couldn't do it after hearing her cries. She is a good girl in my bedroom and doesn't make a peep. I get up during the night for one reason or another and it does not bother her in the least.


Do you feel that Molly gets up sooner than she normally would if she was not in your room?
Nepa is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Nepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 86
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hava Novice View Post
We got Oreo at 11 weeks, and he slept in his crate next to our bed for about 2 weeks. At first he slept through the night perfectly. Then he started waking and barking every time my husband got up to go to the bathroom or snored. We moved him across the hall to the laundry room, closed our door and his, and put a white noise machine in there with him. He is 7 months old, and despite the closed doors and white noise machine, we still have to be very quiet or he will wake up and bark until one of us takes him out. We are held hostage and have to be silent Ninjas in our own bedroom!

That's how we feel now. I will try putting Leo in an adjacent room tonight and see how it goes!
Nepa is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
MarinaGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,216
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 49 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepa View Post
That's how we feel now. I will try putting Leo in an adjacent room tonight and see how it goes!
Be strong; if Leo starts barking do not go and let him out. If you do that you he will learn that barking gets him what he wants. Instead, let him learn to self soothe; only go to him when he's quiet. Good luck!
Sheri, krandall and Pucks104 like this.

Jeanne and Emmie

MarinaGirl is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,517
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hava Novice View Post
We got Oreo at 11 weeks, and he slept in his crate next to our bed for about 2 weeks. At first he slept through the night perfectly. Then he started waking and barking every time my husband got up to go to the bathroom or snored. We moved him across the hall to the laundry room, closed our door and his, and put a white noise machine in there with him. He is 7 months old, and despite the closed doors and white noise machine, we still have to be very quiet or he will wake up and bark until one of us takes him out. We are held hostage and have to be silent Ninjas in our own bedroom!
Boy, has he got YOU trained! Unfortunately, this type of behavior is easier to change if you nip it in the bud when they are really young. If a puppy tries this and you are sure he doesn't need to potty, you need to TOTALLY ignore him and go about your business.He may carry on for a couple of nights, but he'll learn that it doesn't get him anything. If you aren't sure about his ability to go all night without pottying, you DO need to address that, but in a TOTALLY matter of fact, boring way. You take him out with out a word, no sweet talk, no hugs or kisses or cuddles. Straight to his potty spot. Say "Go potty" or whatever your words are, and stand still. Don't let him wander. If he hasn't gone in a couple of minutes, he didn't really need to go.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome