Java Update - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
articshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DC by way of Alaska
Posts: 189
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Java Update

I know I've been remiss in chatting on the forum. But I promise I've been peeking every once in a while.

So last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This past several months have been keeping my head down as I get through treatment. And while I'm still pretty hairless, radiation isn't crapping me out like surgery and chemo did. Don't be sad for me- well, other than the normal amount when someone goes in to the hospital- they got all my cancer and they tell me my full body scan was clear. Everything we are doing now is insurance against future recurrence.

But that meant I was weak and not really able to engage with people or even the forum. And my poor little Java has suffered as a result. Not her time with me, we spend all day together, mostly her training. lol

Anyway, she's been spayed and came through that like a trooper. The vet did a great job on her scar and it is not visible at all. I used a onesie with her and we both did well. I was a nervous wreck waiting for her to come out of surgery. Her initial spay date got pushed back because her blood didn't clot like it was supposed to on her clotting test. We re-tested her and that one came back fine. So we proceeded. And she came through with flying colors.

Yesterday was Java's gotcha day from a year ago. I've attached her first grooming shot at 4-ish months old, her in her onesie looking all pathetic, and a recent grooming shot where she looks all grown up.

And she is mostly all grown up. We don't have potty issues anymore. She still loves to play. And she's graduated from sleeping in her kennel all the time to sharing the bed. Java's daddy, who SWORE she'd never sleep with us, suggested she start around her first birthday. I was SHOCKED. And agreed right away.

She is seriously the light of my life. Her gotcha day is the anniversary of my mother's passing. And her birthday is my birthday- we celebrated together lol. And she has been a rock as I have gone through my treatment. My entire family loves her. And she loves them. But she's my velcro girl. Which I love. I think my dad comes to visit just so he can spend time with her. lol And when my boys come home for holidays from college, they are all in a love fest.

Anyway, until this is completely over, I'm not sure how often I'll get on to the forum to actually post. But I'm reading. And thinking of y'all and your dogs, really.

A big thank you to all who share their wisdom. You've made owning Java a pure pleasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-07 14.22.03.jpg (34.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-03-10 09.22.13.jpg (49.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-05-13 16.57.45.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)


Java and her human, Dawn




articshark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Molly120213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 3,415
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 138 Times in 137 Posts
Dawn, I am sorry to hear about all you have been through in the past year. So happy to hear that your recovery is going well and am glad that you had Java by your side through it all. She is such a beautiful little girl and I'm sure her mere presence is a little ray of sunshine, even on the toughest of days. Thank you for the update and best wishes to you!
articshark likes this.



Diane and Molly
Molly120213 is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Barbara Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 555
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 25 Times in 25 Posts
Glad to see you popping in here. I sent you a text.
articshark likes this.


Barbara Levy is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
articshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DC by way of Alaska
Posts: 189
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly120213 View Post
Dawn, I am sorry to hear about all you have been through in the past year. So happy to hear that your recovery is going well and am glad that you had Java by your side through it all. She is such a beautiful little girl and I'm sure her mere presence is a little ray of sunshine, even on the toughest of days. Thank you for the update and best wishes to you!
Thanks, Molly. It's been a whirlwind affair. It's still going on or I'd be back for real. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Levy View Post
Glad to see you popping in here. I sent you a text.
Sent you one or three back!


Java and her human, Dawn




articshark is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,527
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 297 Times in 295 Posts
So sorry to hear what you've been going through, but it sounds like you are on the right track! I'm sure that you know that Pam has been through this too. I think it was Blanchi, Java's grandmother, who alerted them to it!

Java looks adorable, and I'm SURE this time spent as your "nurse dog" won't stand in her way... She'll be ready and raring to go when YOU are feeling well enough to train. Pop in again when you are feeling up to it, and keep us posted on your progress AND hers!
articshark likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Lisa T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 661
Submit Photo: 13
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 16 Posts
So sorry to hear all what you have been going through this past year. I'm happy to hear you are in in recovery. It sounds like Java was wonderful staying at your side. She is beautiful. Please keep us updated and best wishes to a speedy recovery.
articshark likes this.

[SIGPIC]
Lisa T. is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Ollie"s Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,548
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 58 Times in 58 Posts
Glad to hear from you Dawn and really glad to hear your treatment has done the job and you are on the road to full recovery. It sounds like Java was the perfect little nurse to help you through everything and when you are ready to train she will be too. Please pop in when you can and let us know how everything is going. In the meantime will be thinking of you.
articshark likes this.







Ollie"s Mom is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Heather's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 3,677
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 88 Times in 87 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear that you had such a difficult year. It's good to know you are at the end of treatment and now feeling stronger. Java sure is a cutie and there couldn't be a better nurse. Hoping you make a speedy recovery and are back soon!
articshark likes this.

Heather, Scout, Truffles & Sparky
Heather's is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
whata_dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 218
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 7 Posts
Glad to hear the current treatment is leaving you with more energy and scans are clear from the treatment you have already received. That is fantastic news.

Java is looking GORGEOUS and how awesome is it that she has been there through thick and thin right by your side.
Yeah for bed sharing- glad your hubby caved!

There is just something great about having that warm little loving body, and happy face right there with you when you wake up.
I know it starts my day off in the best way!

Please check in when you can- hope this phase of treatment goes quickly for you.
articshark likes this.
whata_dog is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
articshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DC by way of Alaska
Posts: 189
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
So sorry to hear what you've been going through, but it sounds like you are on the right track! I'm sure that you know that Pam has been through this too. I think it was Blanchi, Java's grandmother, who alerted them to it!

Java looks adorable, and I'm SURE this time spent as your "nurse dog" won't stand in her way... She'll be ready and raring to go when YOU are feeling well enough to train. Pop in again when you are feeling up to it, and keep us posted on your progress AND hers!
She's the most spoiled "nurse" dog on the planet. lol Yes, I emailed Pam and spoke with her. I think I talked to her. It could've all been by email. My chemo brain has zero short term memory and I haven't really made many long term memories in the last year because of it. Ack! Soon, the active treatment portion will be over. So I should get some of my higher reasoning function back. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa T. View Post
So sorry to hear all what you have been going through this past year. I'm happy to hear you are in in recovery. It sounds like Java was wonderful staying at your side. She is beautiful. Please keep us updated and best wishes to a speedy recovery.
I'm not sure if I would've done as well without her. She really has been the perfect dog. Willing to lie around the house if I needed to rest. Or on board with going for a walk if I felt good enough to go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie"s Mom View Post
Glad to hear from you Dawn and really glad to hear your treatment has done the job and you are on the road to full recovery. It sounds like Java was the perfect little nurse to help you through everything and when you are ready to train she will be too. Please pop in when you can and let us know how everything is going. In the meantime will be thinking of you.
Java has been the model of patience. A perfect nurse, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Glen View Post
I am so very sorry to hear that you had such a difficult year. It's good to know you are at the end of treatment and now feeling stronger. Java sure is a cutie and there couldn't be a better nurse. Hoping you make a speedy recovery and are back soon!
Thank you, Heather! I want my brain to come back faster, but we can't always get everything we want. Soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whata_dog View Post
Glad to hear the current treatment is leaving you with more energy and scans are clear from the treatment you have already received. That is fantastic news.

Java is looking GORGEOUS and how awesome is it that she has been there through thick and thin right by your side.
Yeah for bed sharing- glad your hubby caved!

There is just something great about having that warm little loving body, and happy face right there with you when you wake up.
I know it starts my day off in the best way!

Please check in when you can- hope this phase of treatment goes quickly for you.
She's hilarious. She loves snuggling with my hubby in the morning. But she's so nosy if one of us gets up, she can't stay in bed. She has to follow to see what's going on. And since she's gotten the run of the house last month, now she's taken to going back to bed when her curiosity has been satisfied. Best of both worlds.

Small update: Loki came over and played with Java. We are so grateful to have Barbara and Loki so close. It had been the first time in months. She had such a good time, she passed out for hours afterward. I think the thing that's been hardest for me to deal with is Java being a shut in because I have to be. Doing chemo and stuff, they wanted me to be careful and not go places with lots of people or kids and stuff. So we missed out on a lot this past several months. But having Loki over was a blast. And once radiation is done and I can really go forth into the world, we will increase our exposure to people and dogs.
krandall and Heather's like this.


Java and her human, Dawn




articshark is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome