I know I haven't been on in a while. Hope you'll forgive me, things have been crazy around my house.
Wanted to share with someone who would understand. Today is a very, very sad day. I know this isn't about a hav, but still...
This is very long. But I really need an outlet, and to let this go. So I hope you don't mind.
Our staffie, Lily, was put down this morning. She was a rescue. Buy our best estimates, she was around 3-3.5 years old.
Lily was an escape artist. We raised the fence twice; she learned to climb. We put in an invisible fence, she learned to go through it really fast, so it wouldn't hurt for long. The latest escape was last Saturday, July 10. DH and I had been gone all day. We got home much later than anticipated, and the dogs were all understandably anxious. We let them all outside to do their business.
Tango, Bandit, and Laila all get free run of the yard. Lily, given her history, is put on a harness, which is then snapped into a cable that basically gives her a "run" from one end of the yard to the other.
We let them out for a bit, went into the house to unload the car, and returned about 10 minutes later to bring the dogs back in. Lily's harness was there. Still fully intact. Still attached to the cable. Nothing broken. Nothing out of place. As secure as could be. But no Lily.
We searched for her until midnight, then went to bed thinking there was nothing we could do until daylight. I woke at 6:00 AM on Sunday. Lily was laying on the front porch. I thought she was dead.
When I opened the door, she lifted her head, ever so slightly. I ran in and woke DH. We brought her in the house and immediately started care. We flushed all of her open wounds, gave her antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and pain medication. Put topical ointment on everything that was open, and waited.
She seemed to get better through the day, her breathing stabilized. Her swelling started to go down. She even wagged her tail at us a couple of times.
Monday we took her to the vet first thing. They said she had most definitely been hit by a car, and it was an extremely hard impact. I have no idea how she made her way home that night, or how far she had to drag herself. She was wearing her collar and tags - we received no call.
The vet put her under. Took x-rays, did a thorough exam. There were many things wrong with her, but they said chances of a full recovery were good. So we started treatment, working on the major things first.
She seemed to be doing better all week, until Friday. Over the weekend, she became more and more restless. She was panting and obviously uncomfortable. She was starving - we couldn't feed her enough. But she was still losing weight.
Back to the vet this morning. After another exam, it was determined that while some things were healing OK, other areas were not doing so well. In order to save her, we would have to amputate her left front leg. We would also have to dock the rest of her tail, which had died. There was also neurological damage in and around the area of her tail, and there was no way to tell how deep the damage was. If it was all in the tail, then things would be OK in a couple of weeks. If the damage was deeper, and ran up the spine, well...not so good.
Her insides had also been badly bruised by the impact, and were now starting to hurt and make her very uncomfortable. The weight loss was due to a fever that had set in, and her body trying to "fix" so many things at one time.
After much discussion on just how much one dog can handle, and what her quality of life would be now, for the next 6-12 months, and into the future, we made the decision to let her go.
Lily was very loved and will be greatly missed.