I am still impressed at how freakin' smart my half hav Ollie is. Here are a couple of things I didn't teach him that he does anyway:
1) scratches on the sliding glass door if it's closed: To the backyard, there is one in my room, and one which is usually open off the dining room. Some times, even if the dining room door is open, but he wants to comes into my bedroom, he'll scratch on my sliding glass door.
2) Stands next to the treat bag when he wants that treat: They used to be on the floor, in the doorway of my bedroom. But when I got Starbee, she was having self serve buffet so I had to move it to a secure location. When I'm in my bedroom, he stands where the treat bags used to be (doesn't leave till he gets what he wants). If I'm in the room where the treat bags are, he stands next to them, till he gets one. very patient.
3) He knows how he likes his hair: He likes bangs in his face. Looks like a mini sheepdog to me, the eye doctor vet recently said he reminds her of a tiny Bouvier with the bangs in his eyes. He hates his man bun, and quickly returns his hair to his preferred style.
What things does your Hav do, that you didn't teach him?
Teddy has self taught himself lots of random things... the ones I can remember are:
- Bang a specific point on the door, and it opens. Same with shoe cupboard!
- Cheat on his puzzle toy - hold the toy from the tail, shake his head twice (with toy in mouth), throw toy on floor, pick up and slam on the wall! all small squeeky fish fall out at one go - puzzle solved in under 30 seconds!
- how to use the mineral water dispenser (why drink tap water when he can drink mineral water?) - we now put a chair against it to keep him away but I recently found out that he knows how to get between the chair and dispenser without the chair falling - he got caught in the act!
- how to open the window above his favourite sofa!
- How to guilt his human family into sharing (dog friendly) dinner with him
- How to open the car door from inside (if not locked)
- How to open suitcases - we found out when he let himself into the guest room, opened a guest's suitcase (he pulled the zip to open it) as the guest slept, got inside the bag and stole a dirty underwear!
I had to chase him around the apartment for 10 mins to get the underwear from him (yuck!) and return to the guest. Guest not amused and neither was I!