Picking up poop and bringing to couch - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Nepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 86
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picking up poop and bringing to couch

Leo is now 10 months old. He is 90% potty trained. We take him out to potty or he uses his pee pad indoors. Every so often he poops on his pee pad and like a ninja will carry some of the poop to the sofa when no one is looking. This sofa is in the room where his xpen/crate/pee pads are. Thank goodness he never travels with poop elsewhere. Most of the time when he poops on the pee pad, he comes right to one of us as a signal that he had just peed or pooped on the pad or he just leaves the poop alone.

After transporting his poop, he comes to us with a look of I did something wrong. I'm not sure why he does this or how to stop him from repeating this behavior. He seems to know it's wrong.

Any advice?
Melissa Brill likes this.
Nepa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Tux's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 845
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
I would suggest giving him every opportunity to go outside every 4 hours if possible. Keep a tight schedule. Each time he goes outside, praise him whether it is poo or pee. If he goes inside, don't scold, just say we need to potty OUTSIDE. Let's go! Then promptly take him outside. Try to clean up his mess when he isn't looking as fast as possible. Don't make a big deal out of it. He could be just trying to get attention. Don't leave pee pads down everywhere. Actually I would discourage use of an indoors pee pad if at all possible. Keep it for emergencies, but be diligent about trips outside until he is several months older. He is still too young to have as much control.

Tux is 15 months old. The other day I forgot and he hadn't been taken outside for over 6 hours. He lost control at the elevator on the way down. I scooped him up and ran outside where he finished his business. I was the one at fault.

Do not leave items around that smell of pee. Once he goes, toss it and put down a new one. You might even consider confinement in a large ex-pen until he gets on schedule. You can leave him out right after he has gone, but if you can't get him outside within 4 hours, he needs to be confined and learn that poo and pee do not belong in your "den".

Tux's Mom is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,502
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepa View Post
Leo is now 10 months old. He is 90% potty trained. We take him out to potty or he uses his pee pad indoors. Every so often he poops on his pee pad and like a ninja will carry some of the poop to the sofa when no one is looking. This sofa is in the room where his xpen/crate/pee pads are. Thank goodness he never travels with poop elsewhere. Most of the time when he poops on the pee pad, he comes right to one of us as a signal that he had just peed or pooped on the pad or he just leaves the poop alone.

After transporting his poop, he comes to us with a look of I did something wrong. I'm not sure why he does this or how to stop him from repeating this behavior. He seems to know it's wrong.

Any advice?
First of all, FOR SURE, no matter what it looks like to you, he is NOT saying he knows he did something wrong. He just knows he's going to get a response that worries him from you.

Second, are you SURE he's carrying it in his mouth and not stuck to his butt? My dogs ALL get frantic if poop gets stuck to their hair, and try their darnedest to get it off. I can imagine something getting stuck, and then him running to the couch to sit down and getting it off there. I can also imagine him coming to you with a worried expression after this (in his mind) "horrible" event. If you haven't SEEN him carrying it may from the pee pad in his mouth, I think this is a much more likely scenario.

If you HAVE seen him picking it up off the pee pad with his mouth, you need to watch closer, and interrupt that behavior. With mine, I always made a HUGE deal of pooping in the litter box, then (talking to them all the time) I'd get some kleenex, and we'd go together to flush it down the toilet, and then get a cookie, all the time telling them how wonderful they are. All three of them now rush to me smiling if they poop in the litter box, knowing the whole routine, they wag their tails happily all the way to the toilet with me, then back into the kitchen (right next door) to get their cookie.
Marni likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,502
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux's Mom View Post
I would suggest giving him every opportunity to go outside every 4 hours if possible. Keep a tight schedule. Each time he goes outside, praise him whether it is poo or pee. If he goes inside, don't scold, just say we need to potty OUTSIDE. Let's go! Then promptly take him outside. Try to clean up his mess when he isn't looking as fast as possible. Don't make a big deal out of it. He could be just trying to get attention. Don't leave pee pads down everywhere. Actually I would discourage use of an indoors pee pad if at all possible. Keep it for emergencies, but be diligent about trips outside until he is several months older. He is still too young to have as much control.

Tux is 15 months old. The other day I forgot and he hadn't been taken outside for over 6 hours. He lost control at the elevator on the way down. I scooped him up and ran outside where he finished his business. I was the one at fault.

Do not leave items around that smell of pee. Once he goes, toss it and put down a new one. You might even consider confinement in a large ex-pen until he gets on schedule. You can leave him out right after he has gone, but if you can't get him outside within 4 hours, he needs to be confined and learn that poo and pee do not belong in your "den".
This is fine if her goal is a dog who only goes outside. I WANT my dogs to use their litter boxes, for when it is horrible weather or when I can't be there for them. I don't want it to be a "last resort because we CAN'T hold it any longer". ALL my dogs would much rather potty outdoors than in, so a reward any use of the litter boxes HEAVILY to keep them interested in using them.

I DO agree with you completely that "indoor potties" should be kept scrupulously clean. (for my sake as well as theirs. ) Which is one of the reasons I MUCH prefer litter boxes... Not NEARLY as much plastic waste going into land fills.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Though it happens much less frequently than it did between months 3 to 5, Kosmo does the "poop in mouth than dropped near me" trick. He gets a surprised reaction from me and I wonder just how much medication I would have to be on to not react to that sweet face with poop between his teeth.

Yesterday I went to my daughter's house, took him off leash inside her door and he walked straight to the litter box, scooped up litter flecked cat poop and looked back at me over his shoulder. I yelled his name. He scooted under the dining room table and came out from under with a fresh green bean in his mouth. Of course, I laughed.

My daughter gardens and has cats, and may not be the most meticulous housekeeper. You bet, the next time I go there, Kosmo will not be off leash until I have secured her litter box.

Feces is very bad for his digestive system and he has continually been on and off antibiotics, with runny poop, etc. If I could keep these sorry medical facts in the forefront of mind, it would help with my poker face.

Marni is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,502
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
I don't know a dog on earth that won't help themselves to "kat krunchies". That is a completely different thing from a dog eating dog feces. (Most dogs happily eat or roll in feces from lots of other animals) There are a number of different "remedies" for dogs that eat their feces, and hopefully others who have dealt with this problem will chime in. I know that it is at least partly luck of the draw. It was SO important to me that my dogs not develop the habit that

I was FANATIC about supervising them closely during training, and making SURE I scoope dup poop before anyone had a chance to sample it. Maybe that helped, or maybe I was just lucky. I DO know that the best way to avoid it is supervision and removal.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Kosmo is desperately behind on training. If he sat and waited when taken off leash the above mentioned would not have happened.

Marni is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Nepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 86
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Leo poops/pees outside around 7 am but indoors on his pee pad the rest of the day. We haven't gotten to a consistent routine where he only poops/pees outside. He usually poops on pee pad, then finds me or my boys, gets a treat and then we flush it down the toilet, all the while telling him he is a good boy.

He is carrying it in his mouth--I've looked at the camera. Wish it was stuck in his butt--I could tolerate that more. I think he does this when he's bored but not really sure.

We all need to pay more attention when Leo goes towards his pee pad. Sometimes we just get absorbed in something else and sometimes I'm lulled into a false sense of security that he has outgrown this behavior. Guess he's still just a puppy!

Have some of you been successful in having your havanese poop indoors and outdoors or is that too much to expect?
Nepa is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Tux's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 845
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepa View Post
Thanks for the replies. Leo poops/pees outside around 7 am but indoors on his pee pad the rest of the day. We haven't gotten to a consistent routine where he only poops/pees outside. He usually poops on pee pad, then finds me or my boys, gets a treat and then we flush it down the toilet, all the while telling him he is a good boy.

He is carrying it in his mouth--I've looked at the camera. Wish it was stuck in his butt--I could tolerate that more. I think he does this when he's bored but not really sure.

We all need to pay more attention when Leo goes towards his pee pad. Sometimes we just get absorbed in something else and sometimes I'm lulled into a false sense of security that he has outgrown this behavior. Guess he's still just a puppy!

Have some of you been successful in having your havanese poop indoors and outdoors or is that too much to expect?
I am sure there are those whose dogs can do both inside and outside, however, I have noticed with my friends whose dogs do both, that there is a chance that the dog will not or can not associate the difference between a pee pad or a small rug. Both of my friends condos smelled like "Nature's Miracle" or pee.....always. When you take your dog to someone else's home, you can never be sure that they won't relieve themselves on a rug already visited/used by some other pet in that house. They can not possibly distinguish the difference. There are too many downsides to not being diligent for a year (or less) to insure your pup understands the proper poopy and pee protocol. You will be ever so grateful for many years to come.

I believe that if you ingrain in a young dog the importance of pottying outside, that the ONLY time there are accidents, are in extreme situations. I had two dogs prior to Tux on two separate occasions, one a Havanese and one an Akita. Both dogs would do anything to keep from going to the bathroom in the house. They had immensely strong bladders and could hold it all day if a rare situation arose that I couldn't get home sooner. Tux is the same way, only he is still young and his bladder is in the (5 to 6 hour limit).

We go outside. He goes to the grass on a leash (we live in a condo and it's required). He pees it all out in one spot. If he poops, I am there with his potty bag to pick it up and dispose of it. Those potty breaks take about 5 minutes.
Nepa likes this.

Tux's Mom is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,502
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepa View Post
Thanks for the replies. Leo poops/pees outside around 7 am but indoors on his pee pad the rest of the day. We haven't gotten to a consistent routine where he only poops/pees outside. He usually poops on pee pad, then finds me or my boys, gets a treat and then we flush it down the toilet, all the while telling him he is a good boy.

He is carrying it in his mouth--I've looked at the camera. Wish it was stuck in his butt--I could tolerate that more. I think he does this when he's bored but not really sure.

We all need to pay more attention when Leo goes towards his pee pad. Sometimes we just get absorbed in something else and sometimes I'm lulled into a false sense of security that he has outgrown this behavior. Guess he's still just a puppy!

Have some of you been successful in having your havanese poop indoors and outdoors or is that too much to expect?
Yes, absolutely. All three of mine prefer to potty outdoors, but if that's not available for one reason or another, they use their litter boxes.
Nepa likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome