"Reputable" breeder who tests but ignores results! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By Cmward
  • 1 Post By clk89
  • 2 Post By Marni
  • 1 Post By Cmward
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 276
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 17 Posts
"Reputable" breeder who tests but ignores results!

The "reputable" breeder search can be so frustrating. I found breeder who is active in the regional breed club and HCA they were listed on the breeder referral page. I checked their site and found they had just had a litter and the pups were adorable (of course) one was exactly what I had hoped for. After some back and forth, the one I had hoped for became available! Yay right? Not so fast.

I admittedly had my guard down a little bit based on club affiliation, but before jumping in and sending off a deposit I reminded myself to take a breath and confirm the health testing of the parents. Well it all looked good on OFFA except the Dam's hip score was missing, she did have LCP clearance though. I asked the breeder and they replied that the Dam had "mild hip dysplasia" showing in her X-rays submitted to OFFA at 2 years old and they bred her anyway. They maintain it is "not a big deal" in a small breed like the Havanese. It is a big deal to me, it is just not a risk I want to take with a heritable condition. I don't understand why they'd do the health testing, ignore a bad result and breed anyway! I thought the point of testing was to reduce/eliminate these problems.

Just venting and reminding everyone to make sure you see test results on OFFA's site with your own eyes before commiting to a breeder or pup.
Cmward is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking around for breeders as well and long term health is one of my biggest worries. We adopted a kitten several years ago, that only lived for four years and had health issues from day one. I did love Lance, the cat, but it was just painful to watch him being sick most of his life. I don't understand why someone would purposely breed an unhealthy animal except that it was for pure greed. Also from what I have read for Havanese having hip issues is a big deal health wise. Good for you knowing when to back away though, a lot of people would just see the cute puppy or feel bad and take the puppy anyways.
Maistjarna likes this.

Don't Worry Be Happy
clk89 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmward View Post
The "reputable" breeder search can be so frustrating. I found breeder who is active in the regional breed club and HCA they were listed on the breeder referral page. I checked their site and found they had just had a litter and the pups were adorable (of course) one was exactly what I had hoped for. After some back and forth, the one I had hoped for became available! Yay right? Not so fast.

I admittedly had my guard down a little bit based on club affiliation, but before jumping in and sending off a deposit I reminded myself to take a breath and confirm the health testing of the parents. Well it all looked good on OFFA except the Dam's hip score was missing, she did have LCP clearance though. I asked the breeder and they replied that the Dam had "mild hip dysplasia" showing in her X-rays submitted to OFFA at 2 years old and they bred her anyway. They maintain it is "not a big deal" in a small breed like the Havanese. It is a big deal to me, it is just not a risk I want to take with a heritable condition. I don't understand why they'd do the health testing, ignore a bad result and breed anyway! I thought the point of testing was to reduce/eliminate these problems.

Just venting and reminding everyone to make sure you see test results on OFFA's site with your own eyes before commiting to a breeder or pup.
Sad that this happens. Good luck in your search. Your efforts will have a rewarding pay out.
Maistjarna and clk89 like this.

Marni is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 276
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
Sad that this happens. Good luck in your search. Your efforts will have a rewarding pay out.

Thanks Marni. It is sad that this happens, the breeder is also "hiding" it by not publishing the hip score on OFFA. That just seems shady and wrong.

My searching is finally paying off...It will be a few months but stay tuned.
Maistjarna likes this.
Cmward is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are looking for a breeder also, for a 2nd Havanese. Frankly the dog business is terrible, especially when you're looking for a Havanese, there are so few breeders.

We went to a dog show to see if we could get some leads on breeders, we received 2. We contacted them and asked "generally what do you sell your puppies for" both were over $3400. Thats not acceptable, 4 years ago we purchased our wonderful little guy for $1600.

I know you shouldn't base everything on price ( and we don't) but there are limits, we love the breed and will only get another Havanese

Do you think we are unrealistic to expect to pay less or is that the going price now?
kathyc is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyc View Post
We are looking for a breeder also, for a 2nd Havanese. Frankly the dog business is terrible, especially when you're looking for a Havanese, there are so few breeders.

We went to a dog show to see if we could get some leads on breeders, we received 2. We contacted them and asked "generally what do you sell your puppies for" both were over $3400. Thats not acceptable, 4 years ago we purchased our wonderful little guy for $1600.

I know you shouldn't base everything on price ( and we don't) but there are limits, we love the breed and will only get another Havanese

Do you think we are unrealistic to expect to pay less or is that the going price now?
The price may depend where you live, $3400 does sound pretty high to me. Around here in Michigan lowest I have seen is $1800, highest is $2500. We may have to go higher just because the lowest priced breeder doesn't do specific health checks with parents and puppies. I understand how you feel though, price is an important part it may just mean waiting longer while saving up. You could try trying to look outside your area? I'm trying to look at Ohio as well, for more options.

Don't Worry Be Happy
clk89 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
If it were me I would drive several hours to get a puppy that is thoroughly health tested on both sides for closer to $2,000. Think of North Carolina. Miraposa (sp) Havanese. Also, in middle Tennessee Wyhaven Havanese health tests and shows, they also are adding direct Cuban DNA to their lines.

Marni is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyc View Post
We are looking for a breeder also, for a 2nd Havanese. Frankly the dog business is terrible, especially when you're looking for a Havanese, there are so few breeders.

We went to a dog show to see if we could get some leads on breeders, we received 2. We contacted them and asked "generally what do you sell your puppies for" both were over $3400. Thats not acceptable, 4 years ago we purchased our wonderful little guy for $1600.

I know you shouldn't base everything on price ( and we don't) but there are limits, we love the breed and will only get another Havanese

Do you think we are unrealistic to expect to pay less or is that the going price now?
$1600 is WAY low for a quality bred Havanese, though, Just as $3400 is on the high side. I think on the east coast, the good breeders are typically charging about $2500, and I don't think that's unreasonable, keeping their costs in mind.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
If it were me I would drive several hours to get a puppy that is thoroughly health tested on both sides for closer to $2,000. Think of North Carolina. Miraposa (sp) Havanese. Also, in middle Tennessee Wyhaven Havanese health tests and shows, they also are adding direct Cuban DNA to their lines.
Mariposa is in SC, but she breeds very nice dogs. Wyhaven is good too.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome