Those of you in colder climates - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 48Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scarlett's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 218
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Those of you in colder climates

So Scarlett takes seemingly forever (like 15 minutes)to find the perfect spot to relieve herself Not a problem right now because it's not freezing in NJ...until tomorrow! Silly question but do they move a little faster when it's cold?
Scarlett's mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
most will move faster in poor weather conditions. It helps to condition them for fowl weather. The earlier you start acclimating them to poor weather the less sucky they become. If your dog holds it for long periods because of bad weather, it's best to have an indoor option.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:46 PM
LoriJack of Hastings, MN
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Hastings, MN (formerly Pittsburgh, PA)
Posts: 218
Submit Photo: 60
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mom View Post
So Scarlett takes seemingly forever (like 15 minutes)to find the perfect spot to relieve herself Not a problem right now because it's not freezing in NJ...until tomorrow! Silly question but do they move a little faster when it's cold?


I️ have the same issue. I️ am in MN and it is really cold here now. I took KC out at 6 AM this morning it was 19 and windy here in Minnesota and he still took his dear old time finding the right spot and wanted to stay and play. I thought that the havanese preferred warm weather but my KC loves any weather. He is only 3 months old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LoriJack is offline  
 
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:51 PM
LoriJack of Hastings, MN
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Hastings, MN (formerly Pittsburgh, PA)
Posts: 218
Submit Photo: 60
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJack View Post
I️ have the same issue. I️ am in MN and it is really cold here now. I took KC out at 6 AM this morning it was 19 and windy here in Minnesota and he still took his dear old time finding the right spot and wanted to stay and play. I thought that the havanese preferred warm weather but my KC loves any weather. He is only 3 months old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I️ thought I️ would try the puppy pad inside, but he pulls it up with his teeth and claws and destroys it. What to do??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LoriJack is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,729
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 112 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJack View Post
I️ have the same issue. I️ am in MN and it is really cold here now. I took KC out at 6 AM this morning it was 19 and windy here in Minnesota and he still took his dear old time finding the right spot and wanted to stay and play. I thought that the havanese preferred warm weather but my KC loves any weather. He is only 3 months old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yep and that is the time to play with him and make the weather a fun thing. Even bring out the treats. REINFORCE THE THINGS YOU WANT MORE OF.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mom View Post
So Scarlett takes seemingly forever (like 15 minutes)to find the perfect spot to relieve herself Not a problem right now because it's not freezing in NJ...until tomorrow! Silly question but do they move a little faster when it's cold?
A couple of trainers I know say they LOVE "winter puppies", because they do a lot less lally-gagging than summer puppies do! LOL! I can't tell you for sure, because my only winter puppy was my youngest... And she just followed the "big kids" in and out!
Scarlett's mom likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,508
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJack View Post
I️ thought I️ would try the puppy pad inside, but he pulls it up with his teeth and claws and destroys it. What to do??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
UgoDog or otehr tray to protect the potty pad. Or a litter box. Havanese are terrible paper-ripper-uppers.
Scarlett's mom likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
The Following User Nominates krandall Great Photo:
LoriJack (11-09-2017)
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Member
 
wrldtravlr345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 34
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Canada and the weather is currently -12C and it will get colder! So far my 5 month old pup is loving the snow and cold! He prances around in it but once I give the command 'potty' he knows I mean business and he gets it done. He is very quick then and is usually leaping to go back inside. No complaints on his walks either. I'm hoping his good attitude is all winter!
wrldtravlr345 is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM
LoriJack of Hastings, MN
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Hastings, MN (formerly Pittsburgh, PA)
Posts: 218
Submit Photo: 60
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldtravlr345 View Post
I live in Canada and the weather is currently -12C and it will get colder! So far my 5 month old pup is loving the snow and cold! He prances around in it but once I give the command 'potty' he knows I mean business and he gets it done. He is very quick then and is usually leaping to go back inside. No complaints on his walks either. I'm hoping his good attitude is all winter!


Evidently, KC does not understand the word potty, because I️ can say it 50 times, but he will not go until he feels that he has found the perfect spot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
careng likes this.
LoriJack is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM
LoriJack of Hastings, MN
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Hastings, MN (formerly Pittsburgh, PA)
Posts: 218
Submit Photo: 60
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
yep and that is the time to play with him and make the weather a fun thing. Even bring out the treats. REINFORCE THE THINGS YOU WANT MORE OF.


I️ cannot tolerate very cold climate with high winds. How can I️ convince KC to go out do his business, and come back in in a reasonable time frame?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scarlett's mom likes this.
LoriJack is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome