Hi All - Well, I've been gently bringing up the idea that we should get another dog so that Eli has a playmate. Even though I work from home (usually) I feel guilty that I can't spend more time with him - even though his expen is less than 3 feet away! I take breaks to walk him and to play or train him, but it seems to me he could use more stimulation. He's such an outgoing and fun-loving baby. His favorite thing is to go to puppy class or the park and make friends.
I keep telling myself that two dogs aren't twice the work and will make for happier, healthier dogs in the long run. I've been known to give myself bad advice so I'm looking for guidance and support from you all.
- I'd like to get another puppy (Hav only!) that's about Eli's age (5 mos), not too much younger or older so they can grow up together. How likely is it that I can find a puppy that age that has been well socialized and somewhat housebroken? Where should I look? (I'm in NYC)
- Eli won't be neutured until next month. Should I wait until then to see if his personality or energy level changes?
- Which is best for our situation - a boy or girl dog? The trainer said Eli is a bit dominanent but he's consistently very sweet and loving with other dogs. He's definitely learned to play nice and doesn't jump or nip or anything like that.
- Should we bring a puppy home when it's spayed or neutured or doesn't it matter?
- How can we tell that the puppies are compatible? Is watching them play for awhile sufficient to establish they can get on harmoniously? What should I be looking for?
No firm decision made yet but DH is starting to thaw to the idea. He loves Eli so much that I've begun to convince him another puppy will make him happier.
I need to strike while the iron is hot so getting my p's and q's together quickly will be very important if we decide to move forward.
Thank you all for your ongoing valuable advice!