What type of personality for 2nd Havanese? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Question What type of personality for 2nd Havanese?

Bailey is now 2 1/2 years old. She has a robust, fun, playful personality. She can also be a lapdog and loves attention. She participates in Agility and Tricks classes. She gets along extremely well with puppies with the same outgoing personality in class, and shy and reserved with others that are overwhelming. I am bringing home a baby sister Havanese (8 wks old) next weekend. I have a choice between two and have been watching their personalities. One seems like she'd be happy to be a follower, and the other is a bit more upfront and focused.
My question is, what type of puppy personality will work best with Bailey? I want them to play and run around together and be bffs.
Thanks for your help.
erinshea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
ShamaMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,969
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 61 Posts
I defer to those with more experience. Good luck, and please keep us posted (including photos!)

ShamaMama is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,604
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
I think I'd ask my breeder to help with that!
Marni likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I think I'd ask my breeder to help with that!
Thank you. 😊 I will talk to the breeder. I was hoping I could also get input from others and whether or not personality conflicts were considered when getting the 2nd.
erinshea is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,604
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinshea View Post
Thank you. 😊 I will talk to the breeder. I was hoping I could also get input from others and whether or not personality conflicts were considered when getting the 2nd.
MOST Havanese can learn to get along with each other. But if there are going to be problems, it’s more common to have problems between two girls. My two girls can get a bit “bitchy” with each other at times. But I step in immediately and stop it. Most of the time they get along fine. And neither has any arguments with Kodi. (my male) In general, the least difficult pairings are a female and a male. Second, two neutered males, third two females.

As I said, even with females, they USUALLY learn to get along just fine. But I do have one friend who has two bitches that have to be kept completely separated or they REALLY fight. But that’s unusual, and probably at least partially because it is a breeding home. (Although one of these females is spayed). Hormones ALWAYS make things more challenging in terms of relations.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
MOST Havanese can learn to get along with each other. But if there are going to be problems, it’s more common to have problems between two girls. My two girls can get a bit “bitchy” with each other at times. But I step in immediately and stop it. Most of the time they get along fine. And neither has any arguments with Kodi. (my male) In general, the least difficult pairings are a female and a male. Second, two neutered males, third two females.

As I said, even with females, they USUALLY learn to get along just fine. But I do have one friend who has two bitches that have to be kept completely separated or they REALLY fight. But that’s unusual, and probably at least partially because it is a breeding home. (Although one of these females is spayed). Hormones ALWAYS make things more challenging in terms of relations.
Do you think I’d be better off with one that is a not as outgoing or one that is outgoing (like Bailey)? I plan to have the new one do agility also.
erinshea is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
My Two Girls

Zoey appeared outgoing and playful, but she growls and that indicates fearfulness. Joy is rather stoic, but then again she is queen of the food bowl and will not hesitate to take a toy from Zoey with little resistance. Sooo, I would say, ask the breeder. What you have seen of personality with the new pup selections may not be the whole story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1817.jpg (89.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (69.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-1815.jpg (69.8 KB, 6 views)
ShamaMama likes this.

Marni is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,604
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinshea View Post
Do you think I’d be better off with one that is a not as outgoing or one that is outgoing (like Bailey)? I plan to have the new one do agility also.
If you have performance goals, I think you should concentrate on the right attitude for THAT. Of course you will also want a good, stable temperament.

I don't think "outgoing" or not has anything to do with getting along. Two outgoing dogs will just play a lot. You want to avoid a dog who is likely to be either a resource guarder, super shy, or dog-aggressive. But you can't really tell these things about a small puppy. For these traits, I'd be looking at the parents.

But again, I ALWAYS want an out-going dog. That has nothing to do with getting along with others, and without that, you will NEVER have a performance partner.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,604
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
Zoey appeared outgoing and playful, but she growls and that indicates fearfulness.
Well, growling doesn't NECESSARILY mean fearfulness... it depends a LOT on the context. Growling can be fearfulness, aggression, rescue guarding, grumpiness when resting... or even just play. In its most basic sense, a growl is a warning to "back off and leave me alone".


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Well, growling doesn't NECESSARILY mean fearfulness... it depends a LOT on the context. Growling can be fearfulness, aggression, rescue guarding, grumpiness when resting... or even just play. In its most basic sense, a growl is a warning to "back off and leave me alone".
That little grrr is the household musak. I think it is all the things on the list, but when she bares tiny teeth along with the growl it never fails to make me mad: at her breeder.

Marni is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome