GPS Trackers - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By krandall
  • 1 Post By Melissa Brill
  • 1 Post By Marni
  • 2 Post By krandall
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summers: Crested Butte, CO. Home Base: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 366
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
GPS Trackers

Does anyone have a GPS tracker on their dogs? What type do you recommend?

I worry about my 9-month puppy getting away from me. We travel some and there have been times when she's bolted out the door of a the RV or home. She's so inquisitive and fast, I'm concerned about not being able to get ahold of her. We are installing fencing at home. And, I need to work on getting her to come when called. She's not very good at that right now. If she gets loose she wants to explore and doesn't want to come when called. I've never worried about such things with other dogs. Maybe I'm focused something that won't be an issue as she gets older.
Mikki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
EvaE1izabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 841
Submit Photo: 106
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 24 Posts
I looked into them and opted against. I can see how they could be useful since you travel, so maybe someone will have better advice. There are so many people who travel on the forum!

Most of what I found are large for the size of our dogs (although I looked when he was a puppy so the size might be more appropriate now), require subscriptions, and need to be charged or have batteries changed. My other issue is that my dog doesn’t wear a harness or collar indoors, so it wouldn’t help find him in case of an accidental dash out the door since he wouldn’t be wearing it.

My Tile app has caused me nothing but problems, but DH has never had an issue with his. There are other brands but to me they all have the same issue if they’re based on the same bluetooth technology - you don’t know if you’ve lost connection until you actually need to use it.

My father in law had a real gps system for his dog that was much more reliable but it was hundreds of dollars and the collar had to be on.

Last edited by EvaE1izabeth; 11-28-2018 at 05:16 PM.
EvaE1izabeth is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,404
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
I don’t keep collars on my dogs at home or even in the RV. So I wouldn’t be willing to keep a big, bulky GPS collar on them. BUT they ALL know to “get back” (away from the door) when told. Before they were reliable with that, they were crated or on leash any time the RV door was opened.

When we are set up someplace, we use ex-pens to make a “dog yard” and the dior opens into that. So we often leve the door wide open and they go in and out at will. But under those conditions, they do were collars with tags. Between their tags and their chips, I feel they are pretty safe.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,003
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
I did look into them and consider them but decided against based on our individual circumstance (not in general). They all seem to work on US cell carriers so wouldn't work for us most of the year (outside the US). Also, when we're in the US, the cell service around my Mom's house is very poor (even inside the house) AND only works on Verizon =- so the ones that work on the other carriers (which is most - I think most work on AT&T) wouldn't workfor a 10 mile +/- radius around the house. In addition, even if one worked on Verizon, the dogs would likely endup in the woods - and we can't get coverage once you go into the woods around the house, so it would be useless.

If we were traveling around the US I would consider it, especially if it operated on Verizon (which has broadest coverage) AND would lie flat on his existing collar/ not need an additional collar.

Perry does wear a collar 24/7 with his ID tags on them (the tag slips on the collar and lies flat). I know the arguments against a collar all the time - but the danger of him getting out without ID (and few/if any microchip readers in Kampala) outweigh the risk of him wearing a collar unsupervised (in his crate) for short periods every day.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,404
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
I did look into them and consider them but decided against based on our individual circumstance (not in general). They all seem to work on US cell carriers so wouldn't work for us most of the year (outside the US). Also, when we're in the US, the cell service around my Mom's house is very poor (even inside the house) AND only works on Verizon =- so the ones that work on the other carriers (which is most - I think most work on AT&T) wouldn't workfor a 10 mile +/- radius around the house. In addition, even if one worked on Verizon, the dogs would likely endup in the woods - and we can't get coverage once you go into the woods around the house, so it would be useless.

If we were traveling around the US I would consider it, especially if it operated on Verizon (which has broadest coverage) AND would lie flat on his existing collar/ not need an additional collar.

Perry does wear a collar 24/7 with his ID tags on them (the tag slips on the collar and lies flat). I know the arguments against a collar all the time - but the danger of him getting out without ID (and few/if any microchip readers in Kampala) outweigh the risk of him wearing a collar unsupervised (in his crate) for short periods every day.
I didn't realize that the worked on a cell network. That would be useless for us at home too... We needed to get a repeater just to be able to use our phones inside our Verizon Fios wired house. There's nothing even in the yard.

The other thing (when you bring up woods) that terrifies me is that even if we were able to get and track a GPS unit, once a small dog gets into the woods around here, it quickly becomes coyote bait. ...and then you are just recovering a collar without a dog. In our case, just keeping close track of the dog seems like the best option!
Melissa Brill likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,003
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
other GPSes

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I didn't realize that the worked on a cell network. That would be useless for us at home too... We needed to get a repeater just to be able to use our phones inside our Verizon Fios wired house. There's nothing even in the yard.

The other thing (when you bring up woods) that terrifies me is that even if we were able to get and track a GPS unit, once a small dog gets into the woods around here, it quickly becomes coyote bait. ...and then you are just recovering a collar without a dog. In our case, just keeping close track of the dog seems like the best option!
There are some that work on radio signals and maybe even directly on satellite but those are the bigger/ bulkier (and much more expensive) ones - so much too big for the little bodies of our guys. The majority work on cell networks, usually AT&T.
krandall likes this.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
What worked for me was the expen stretched across part of the open part of the house inside the entrance providing an extra barrier to the front door at the lake house and a gate blocking the hallway to the front door in our present abode. Two exits from the home rather than one. In the RV I would just crate before the door was opened, as Karen said. Also, it does get better with age and experience. Now when Kos gets out he stays close by, but his recall is nothing like Zoey's, still.

I may be a worry wart, but I would like nothing more than some space age contraption that embedded under skin that would enable me to follow the culprit and tar and feather them appropriately, should one one of mine ever be taken. I heard on the news that two yorkies were taken out of a car at a grocery store parking lot. And, in mild weather I have left mine in the car for less than 15 minutes while I shopped, and even though they are zipped up out of site, that was an eye opening news report.
krandall likes this.


Last edited by Marni; 12-04-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Marni is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,404
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
What worked for me was the expen stretched across part of the open part of the house inside the entrance providing an extra barrier to the front door at the lake house and a gate blocking the hallway to the front door in our present abode. Two exits from the home rather than one. In the RV I would just crate before the door was opened, as Karen said. Also, it does get better with age and experience. Now when Kos gets out he stays close by, but his recall is nothing like Zoey's, still.

I may be a worry wort, but I would like nothing more than some space age contraption that embedded under skin that would enable me to follow the culprit and tar and feather them appropriately, should one one of mine ever be taken. I heard on the news that two yorkies were taken out of a car at a grocery store parking lot. And, in mild weather I have left mine in the car for less than 15 minutes while I shopped, and even though they are zipped up out of site, that was an eye opening news report.
Another reason I love my Variocage... I can leave the car completely open, and still lock the variocage. Nothing less than the jaws of life would get them out without the key.
Melissa Brill and Marni like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summers: Crested Butte, CO. Home Base: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 366
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! for all the information and quick replies. I tried to reply earlier but was kicked off and got distracted by other things. I'm paranoid right now because I've opened up more of the house to Patti since she's reliable about finding her indoor potty trays. Before she was gated off from all doors opening to the outside of the house. It was a surprise when she scampered out when someone opened the door. She's learning. We're all learning to be aware where she is and we're having an fence installed.

There are too many issues with GPS trackers regarding these dogs and my situation. They're too large to be worn all the time, which defeats the purpose. And, we spend a lot of time in places where there is no or spotty cell service.

Thanks for enlightening me on how GPS trackers work. I can see they would be useful on a large dog in a rural area or farm where they have a lot of room to roam around.
Mikki is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome