Big Scare! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Big Scare!

Jessie my 6 month old Havanese slipped out the door and ran to the front yard. I immediately called her and she acknowledged me, started to come then saw a neighbor walking and took off after her. Paid no attention to my calling running right out into the street. Thankfully, my neighbor stopped and I was able to catch up and scoop Jessie up. What a scare! We have worked on come and stay with success but without any real distractions. Don’t know how to train her to avoid this situation. Any suggestions would be helpful!
pting619 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,391
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pting619 View Post
Jessie my 6 month old Havanese slipped out the door and ran to the front yard. I immediately called her and she acknowledged me, started to come then saw a neighbor walking and took off after her. Paid no attention to my calling running right out into the street. Thankfully, my neighbor stopped and I was able to catch up and scoop Jessie up. What a scare! We have worked on come and stay with success but without any real distractions. Don’t know how to train her to avoid this situation. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Of course it is good to continue working on this with slowly increasing distractions. But it is ENTIRELY understandable that a 6-month-old would not have a solid enough recall, ESPECIALLY in the face of distractions, to avoid this. I hope you are also working on "door manners" (you don't cross the door sill until I give you permission) and "wait" (you stay right where you are until I tell you to move) But these, also, will take time, especially in more distracting or exciting environments.

Probably for at least the next year, the SAFEST thing is management. In our house, our front door comes into an entry, with an opening into the main part of the house. We have a gate across that entry, so the dogs cannot approach the door. (it started for safety for puppies and has remained because it's too much fun to sit in the entry and bark at turkeys under the oak tree across the driveway! )

If you don't have a "natural" place to gate your puppy away from the door, another option is to put an ex-pen around the entrance. You can get ex-pens with gates through them to make it a little easier on the humans. If neither of these options feels workable, then you MUST get everyone in the household in the habit of either putting the puppy in a safe location or on a leash before answering the door. My dogs are always gated in my office when we are out, but a crate or ex-pen is fine too. ...Or leave a martingale style collar with an attached leash on the handle of every door to the outside. Then, when you approach the door, and the puppy appears, you can slip it over her head quickly and be in control.

A lot of what we do with puppies in the first couple of years needs to be management until the training becomes REALLY solid.
RIstream, Sheri, NickieTwo and 3 others like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
Honestly, I don't care how good their recall is, my first line of defense will always be management and door manners. When I open the door (from the inside) Perry will look at me before going out - though it is often open into the yard and he has free entry and exit. Right now my bigger problem with him is when I open the door from the outside (which we haven't had to work on much because he's often been in the yard when I come home) - it isn't an issue in our current house because the door opens to a fenced yard, but I do want to work on it so that it doesn't become a habit (either pushing the door open OR rushing out as soon as I open it).

Luckily at my Mom's (the other house he spends time at) the door to the foyer stays closed until the leash is on (or I've picked him up) or until the outside door is closed.
krandall likes this.
Melissa Brill is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,391
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
Honestly, I don't care how good their recall is, my first line of defense will always be management and door manners. When I open the door (from the inside) Perry will look at me before going out - though it is often open into the yard and he has free entry and exit. Right now my bigger problem with him is when I open the door from the outside (which we haven't had to work on much because he's often been in the yard when I come home) - it isn't an issue in our current house because the door opens to a fenced yard, but I do want to work on it so that it doesn't become a habit (either pushing the door open OR rushing out as soon as I open it).

Luckily at my Mom's (the other house he spends time at) the door to the foyer stays closed until the leash is on (or I've picked him up) or until the outside door is closed.
I TOTALLY agree! I don't want to "take a chance" on them responding to a recall. I want them to control their impulse to run through the door so I never have to test the recall!
Sheri, Melissa Brill and Jeanniek like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 999
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 39 Posts
As an FYI - I have found that in the yard when Perry is completely ignoring me (and I don't feel like walking down to the parking area where he's barking like a loon at the gate to the parking) that if I squeak his toys (or more precisely if I squeak the squeaker that has been removed from his toys because he's pulled them out) he'll come running (and he gets treats for coming). I don't use it all the time (don't want to wear out the usefulness) but if they happen to get loose and you have a toy obsessed pup, squeaking the squeaker might be a novelty that brings them back. I've not tried it when Perry has gotten out (there are two gates between the house and the outside at our place) but it might be worth a try... keeping a very valued toy near the door.
krandall, Marni and Jeanniek like this.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,391
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
As an FYI - I have found that in the yard when Perry is completely ignoring me (and I don't feel like walking down to the parking area where he's barking like a loon at the gate to the parking) that if I squeak his toys (or more precisely if I squeak the squeaker that has been removed from his toys because he's pulled them out) he'll come running (and he gets treats for coming). I don't use it all the time (don't want to wear out the usefulness) but if they happen to get loose and you have a toy obsessed pup, squeaking the squeaker might be a novelty that brings them back. I've not tried it when Perry has gotten out (there are two gates between the house and the outside at our place) but it might be worth a try... keeping a very valued toy near the door.
That's similar to my "emergency recall", which is "WANT CHICKEN?!?!" It NEVER hurts to have an ultra-high-value emergency recall cue. Sometimes that happens organically, like the squeaker. Dave has found with Pixel that if she gets loose outside the dog yard, the FASTEST way to get her back is to walk to the pick-up truck, open the door, and say, "Who wants to ride in the Pick-Me-Up?" LOL! That doesn't work for the other two, but Pixel can't resist! Her FAVORITE thing is going for a ride in the truck with Daddy! (even if it's just to the end of the driveway to get the mail and back! )
Sheri, Melissa Brill and Marni like this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summers: Crested Butte, CO. Home Base: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 360
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently posted asking about GPS trackers for this very reason ... puppies darting out an open door. Because, when traveling in our RV she dashed out the door a couple of times and once it was during the night after just pulling in. In RV parks it's dark and it took a little while to find her, as she does not come when called. At that time she was 6 months old. There's too many issues with GPS trackers for them to work. The puppy/dog getting lost is only one issue. The bigger problem is running out in front of car.

I'm especially worried about her dashing into to the street from our home. We are putting in a yard fence that will cover all outer doorways except for the front door which can't be gated off. A few days ago Patti dashed out the front door and I used a squeaky toy to redirect her into the back section of the yard, while my husband and daughter helped distract her playing - catch me if you can. I'll work on the Chicken food call idea.

We, too, are working on training her when called. It's comforting to know this takes some dog maturity for her to learn to come.

Until a few weeks ago we had five gates all over the house. I've now opened up other parts of the house to Patti as she's become reliably indoor housebroken. I wasn't prepared for her to dart out the door anytime someone opened it. I am working on telling her -Back - when the door bell rings or when we open the door. All of us are having to remind ourselves to be aware of where Patti is when going in and out the door.

We used a Radio Fence with shock collars on all our other dogs, which covered the front and back yards. So, never thought about the dashing out-the-door issue until now. The problem with Radio Fences is they go down, or the shock collars go off and the dogs get out once in a while. Although, I've read where other Havanese owners use a Radio Fence, I'm not comfortable using it for this dog. HOWEVER ... my other dogs never bolted out the front door. Maybe with maturity Patti will calm down and not be so interested in running out the door. I HOPE!

Like Karen, when I leave the house I put her in my bedroom.
Mikki is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,391
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki View Post
I recently posted asking about GPS trackers for this very reason ... puppies darting out an open door. Because, when traveling in our RV she dashed out the door a couple of times and once it was during the night after just pulling in. In RV parks it's dark and it took a little while to find her, as she does not come when called. At that time she was 6 months old. There's too many issues with GPS trackers for them to work. The puppy/dog getting lost is only one issue. The bigger problem is running out in front of car.

I'm especially worried about her dashing into to the street from our home. We are putting in a yard fence that will cover all outer doorways except for the front door which can't be gated off. A few days ago Patti dashed out the front door and I used a squeaky toy to redirect her into the back section of the yard, while my husband and daughter helped distract her playing - catch me if you can. I'll work on the Chicken food call idea.

We, too, are working on training her when called. It's comforting to know this takes some dog maturity for her to learn to come.

Until a few weeks ago we had five gates all over the house. I've now opened up other parts of the house to Patti as she's become reliably indoor housebroken. I wasn't prepared for her to dart out the door anytime someone opened it. I am working on telling her -Back - when the door bell rings or when we open the door. All of us are having to remind ourselves to be aware of where Patti is when going in and out the door.

We used a Radio Fence with shock collars on all our other dogs, which covered the front and back yards. So, never thought about the dashing out-the-door issue until now. The problem with Radio Fences is they go down, or the shock collars go off and the dogs get out once in a while. Although, I've read where other Havanese owners use a Radio Fence, I'm not comfortable using it for this dog. HOWEVER ... my other dogs never bolted out the front door. Maybe with maturity Patti will calm down and not be so interested in running out the door. I HOPE!

Like Karen, when I leave the house I put her in my bedroom.
A lot of people think that gates are for “potty training”. But as you have found, potty training is only one small part of “house manners” training. I think the MOST important issue for you right now is to get the entire family involved in teaching her to back off when (any) door is opened, and that an open door is NOT an “open invitation”... she still needs to have permission to pass through the door. We have never had a problem with this... simply “body blocking” to keep the dog from approaching the door. (Though you DO have to train all family members to do this consistently!) If the puppy was REALLY persistent about trying to get by in spite of being discouraged with body blocking. I would make sure the puppy had a leash on before the door was ever opened, so there was no way it could get theough the door... or put the gates back up. Safety is the most important thing!

Also remember that in Patty’s case, she has already successfully gotten past you a few times. So she is going to try even harder for a while, to see if she can do it again. You are going to have to be even more diligent.
Melissa Brill likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Marni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,227
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 49 Posts
Mine will back off when the door is opened.

But, just yesterday the door opened for a delivery person from Mellow Mushroom, and the humamma was so distracted that Kos (girls were crated in another room) ran out front door, then stopped at sidewalk just off the porch and turned back to look at me. I knew what to do. I opened the box with the pizza and sat it on the floor. Back into the house he ran. The delivery girl was impressed.

In the process of fixing my furnished rental in Atlanta and we don't have the usual double door security system. That will have to change. I rent to travelers with pups so it won't be a wasted expense to have an expen at this house as well.
krandall and Melissa Brill like this.

Marni is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 102
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m pretty lucky in this instance, as we are rural, & the house is way off the road. I get a laugh out of the GPS when returning from a trip, & it tells me to navigate off road when I get to the driveway. The downside is watching for coyote at night, & large hawks during the day. I never leave Abby unattended outside even in the fenced part of the yard. She is pretty good about waiting at the door until I tell her to stay or let’s go. I see a lot of maturing in her at 5 1/2 months.
Sam I Am is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome