The FDA updated their report on 6/27/19 here: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...omyopathy#diet
This new report offers some useful graphs and stats for the average dog owner:
1. Dry food was reported 400x more often than other forms of food.
2. Acana, Zignature, Taste of the Wild, 4Health, Earthborn, Blue Buffalo, Natures Domain and Fromm had nearly 2-4x the complaints as the rest of the foods that were reported.
3. Grain Free, and Foods with Peas, Lentils and Potatoes were linked to the most reports.
4. Chicken, Lamb, Salmon, Whitefish had more reports of DCM than others like Beef, Duck or Bison
5. Taurine is not considered an essential amino acid for dogs. Nearly all grain-free foods had more than the recommended amount of Taurine.
Those are a lot of take-aways from the study. In the meantime, I'm comfortable continuing to use The Honest Kitchen. I realize it's a small sample but if I were using one of the foods in #2. above, I would not continue to use them, Grain Free or foods with Peas or Lentils until more information is released. That's just a personal opinion and perhaps I'm overly cautious.
for those links providing a measured viewpoint on the FDA report. I read Dr. Jean Dodds links and they were helpful.