traveling - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,060
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 41 Posts
traveling

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

So as many of you know I got Perry after very careful planning and searching for a breed (And specific dog) that would be the right size to travel as a pet in cabin - because we live outside the US and travel back and forth at least twice a year, plus I change jobs (and countries) every few years, so his ability to travel in cabin with me was paramount. I even went with an older puppy rescue so that we were sure we'd be within the size/ weight limits for in cabin. I check country entry requirements before I apply for a job and planned everyone out as well as I could.

Now, in addition to the issues with traveling in general, many/ most airlines are also not allowing pet in cabin reservations! In addition to that - my current contract ends in August, so we will need to travel after that (unless by some odd chance I get another job here in Uganda, but that's unlikely) - so I'm stressing out a little.

I know August is still 4 months away, but the COVID situation is unlikely to be changed by then. So what happens if I have to make a choice between not traveling (which would then have its own complications about taking a new job, living/ visa issues here/ etc) or having to send him in cargo - which I swore I wouldn't do.

Add to that that some of the jobs I'm looking at are in places where you can't fly a pet in cabin, only in cargo... so having to contemplate if those places get struck off the list of potential jobs OR if a short cargo flight (if most of the flight can be done in cabin with the last leg in cargo) would be ok.

Just more added stress in a time of general stress anyway.
Melissa Brill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,509
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 335 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

So as many of you know I got Perry after very careful planning and searching for a breed (And specific dog) that would be the right size to travel as a pet in cabin - because we live outside the US and travel back and forth at least twice a year, plus I change jobs (and countries) every few years, so his ability to travel in cabin with me was paramount. I even went with an older puppy rescue so that we were sure we'd be within the size/ weight limits for in cabin. I check country entry requirements before I apply for a job and planned everyone out as well as I could.

Now, in addition to the issues with traveling in general, many/ most airlines are also not allowing pet in cabin reservations! In addition to that - my current contract ends in August, so we will need to travel after that (unless by some odd chance I get another job here in Uganda, but that's unlikely) - so I'm stressing out a little.

I know August is still 4 months away, but the COVID situation is unlikely to be changed by then. So what happens if I have to make a choice between not traveling (which would then have its own complications about taking a new job, living/ visa issues here/ etc) or having to send him in cargo - which I swore I wouldn't do.

Add to that that some of the jobs I'm looking at are in places where you can't fly a pet in cabin, only in cargo... so having to contemplate if those places get struck off the list of potential jobs OR if a short cargo flight (if most of the flight can be done in cabin with the last leg in cargo) would be ok.

Just more added stress in a time of general stress anyway.
So nice to hear from you and know you are OK!!! THAT is the most important thing!!!

As far as August goes, while I know you don’t WANT to fly him in cargo, we are all doing things these days out of necessity that we’d rather not do. If that is the only way you can get him to your final destination, that’s what you’ll have to do. I’m sure you will do everything you can to ensure his safety.

And remember, it won’t be sending some tiny pup with no experience off into the hands of strangers. You will be there to meet him with loving arms at the other end of his journey. I know it’s not what you would choose, but sometimes we just have to do the best we can.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,060
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
So nice to hear from you and know you are OK!!! THAT is the most important thing!!!

As far as August goes, while I know you donít WANT to fly him in cargo, we are all doing things these days out of necessity that weíd rather not do. If that is the only way you can get him to your final destination, thatís what youíll have to do. Iím sure you will do everything you can to ensure his safety.

And remember, it wonít be sending some tiny pup with no experience off into the hands of strangers. You will be there to meet him with loving arms at the other end of his journey. I know itís not what you would choose, but sometimes we just have to do the best we can.
Thanks Karen, you're right. Plus August is still a while away.

We're still on lockdown - til the 20th - so too much time thinking
Melissa Brill is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 2,118
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 50 Posts
@Melissa Brill thank dog you are okay, we have been worried about you!

I am not trying to add to your stress, but here is something to consider. My son-in-law is a manager in freight cargo for a major airline (they do not fly Uganda). He is also a dog lover, both his own dog and Ricky Ricardo. He would never ship an animal via cargo. Too many things can go wrong and he has had to deal with the aftermath and heart broken customers. However some of the smaller airlines are more flexible and allow dogs to fly in the cabin during this time of restrictions. It may require that you take several commuter legs to reach your destination.

But as Karen said, "sometimes you got to do what you got to do." Flying Perry in cargo in a major airline does NOT mean that things will go wrong. Chances are GOOD that it will be okay. Everything in life is a risk and I refuse to live in fear. Your chances of getting Covid are probably greater than Perry suffering a mishap in air cargo. Yet I take reasonable precautions to avoid getting the virus and so far it is working. So I would continue your planning as you look for a new position. I am an optimist and I expect things will work out for the best.

Keep in touch

Ricky's Popi
krandall likes this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN

Ricky Ricardo is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 24,509
Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 335 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brill View Post
Thanks Karen, you're right. Plus August is still a while away.

We're still on lockdown - til the 20th - so too much time thinking
Believe me!!! I know about the "too much thinking" on lock-down! Here too! We'll all get through this, even long distance-together!
Melissa Brill likes this.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & CH Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,060
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 41 Posts
airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo View Post
@Melissa Brill thank dog you are okay, we have been worried about you!

I am not trying to add to your stress, but here is something to consider. My son-in-law is a manager in freight cargo for a major airline (they do not fly Uganda). He is also a dog lover, both his own dog and Ricky Ricardo. He would never ship an animal via cargo. Too many things can go wrong and he has had to deal with the aftermath and heart broken customers. However some of the smaller airlines are more flexible and allow dogs to fly in the cabin during this time of restrictions. It may require that you take several commuter legs to reach your destination.

But as Karen said, "sometimes you got to do what you got to do." Flying Perry in cargo in a major airline does NOT mean that things will go wrong. Chances are GOOD that it will be okay. Everything in life is a risk and I refuse to live in fear. Your chances of getting Covid are probably greater than Perry suffering a mishap in air cargo. Yet I take reasonable precautions to avoid getting the virus and so far it is working. So I would continue your planning as you look for a new position. I am an optimist and I expect things will work out for the best.

Keep in touch

Ricky's Popi
I feel the same about flying in cargo (either with me or separately) - I did it with my last dog with no problems at all, but I didn't want to deal with the stress with the "new" one - which is why I got Perry.

Things may change as more flights start up again in the next few months, but even if regular times there are limited options from Uganda. Right now the only options if I had to go with what's happening here do NOT allow pet in cabin (I've checked with them all) - and that's when the airport actually opens again. I can only hope that changes before August (even if it then means it's not be usual preferred airline).

Right now the airport is closed and there are no commercial flights (cargo only). The World Food Programme is starting a once a week flight from here to Addis (checkinf if they will allow pets in cabin, but even then it's unlikely). From Addis there is basically 1 option - Ethiopian Air (which I usually fly) but they're not allowing pets in cabin now until the COVID situation is "over" (whatever that means). Turkish air is also not allowing pets in cabin. And as far as I know there aren't any other airlines flying into / out of Addis right now.

BUT - a lot can change in 4 months, so will keep checking and fingers crossed. A lot of people who were evacuated from here (employers sending people back to their home countries before the airport locked down and travel was impossible) had to leave their pets behind and the main vet here who deals with cargo (unaccompanied) transport for pets has been scrambling to get them on cargo flights to get them reunited with their owners. One of the consequences of COVID that many people don't know/ think about.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summers: Crested Butte, CO. Home Base: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 736
Submit Photo: 9
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
@ Melissa ... Everything going forward is going to be different and won't return to the way we've known it, according to Laurie Garrett a well know Germ Expert who wrote "The Coming Plaque," along with others. In a lot of ways things will be better though different. People probably won't be flying very much even in August or in two years. So, Perry maybe able to sit next to you in an empty seat or one you can purchase. Airlines are going to have a hard time selling seats, because people are going to be rethinking flying for some time.

People will be working for home. There won't be as many group meetings as people learn they can get things done using Zoom or whatever group communication is developed. Schools will use online learning more. Crashing the oil market is horrible for the economy but maybe we'll move away from this dirty fuel to a cleaner fuel and create better, high paying jobs.

COVID won't be gone in August. The economy will change. New businesses and the way of doing business will develop out of this.

I'm worried about getting people back to work, those that have jobs keeping them and I hope the stock market doesn't evaporate.
Mikki is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:02 PM
Arf! Arf!
 
Ricky Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern California & Baja California
Posts: 2,118
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 50 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki View Post
Schools will use online learning more.
My daughter is an essential worker, I have said before, as an administrator at a 40K student body university. She said that half her day right now is planning for a new educational model that will be based on "at home" learning. This will accomplish a lot of things
- reduced maintenance costs utilities on buildings
- reduced pollution from commuting
- retraining staff for careers in a more viable economic model
- (and I can't remember about 10 more things)

She says it is really exciting. They are talking about cutting edge education to make it less expensive, more available, and more accessible. No idea is considered too radical to consider, everyone is being encouraged to think outside the box.

I think that we are on the verge of a better and brighter future if we can restructure government at all levels to abandon partisan politics, to abandon lobbying, and provide more equity for everyone to support a "new New Deal." I feel optimistic we can do that.

Ricky's Popi
krandall and Heather's like this.

Tigerlily's Welcome to the Jungle (Ricky Ricardo) (AKC titles) CGC, BN

Ricky Ricardo is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,060
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 41 Posts
changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki View Post
@ Melissa ... Everything going forward is going to be different and won't return to the way we've known it, according to Laurie Garrett a well know Germ Expert who wrote "The Coming Plaque," along with others. In a lot of ways things will be better though different. People probably won't be flying very much even in August or in two years. So, Perry maybe able to sit next to you in an empty seat or one you can purchase. Airlines are going to have a hard time selling seats, because people are going to be rethinking flying for some time.

People will be working for home. There won't be as many group meetings as people learn they can get things done using Zoom or whatever group communication is developed. Schools will use online learning more. Crashing the oil market is horrible for the economy but maybe we'll move away from this dirty fuel to a cleaner fuel and create better, high paying jobs.

COVID won't be gone in August. The economy will change. New businesses and the way of doing business will develop out of this.

I'm worried about getting people back to work, those that have jobs keeping them and I hope the stock market doesn't evaporate.
Hi Mikki

I completely agree that things won't be "normal" in August - unfortunately, regardless of whether it is or not I will likely have to move between countries around that time as my contract ends here in Uganda - that means, no matter if things are normal or not, I will have to figure out what to do. Staying here is complicated (cost and logistics as I will no longer be under my current employer's sponsorship so will have a hard time getting a long-term visa to stay) plus if I do (hopefully) have a new job by then, it is unlikely that they'd be ok with me working from Uganda (if, for example, they want to post me in Moldova or Bangladesh or even a shorter move like Ethiopia, let alone if I need to be posted in the US).

I like the idea of buying a seat for him - but that won't work if they're not letting pets in cabin (though might be an angle to try to argue if they're not ) Many people don't even understand the logistics of those of us who work internationally and move around fairly regularly. I agree that people will fly less, but when you have to move you have to fly and it's not necessarily on your schedule (or a convenient schedule for COVID). The airline I usually fly is still flying to many places and I do expect some flights to be leaving from here before August so the question becomes Perry and whether they'll let him on the plane or if I have to figure out other options (one being 20 hours of flying in the cargo hold plus layovers, which I do NOT want to think about right now but will have to be an option if the only other alternatives are unthinkable.)
krandall likes this.
Melissa Brill is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
ShamaMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,270
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 71 Times in 70 Posts
Ugh. Thinking of you, Melissa!
Melissa Brill likes this.

ShamaMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome