, help us out here. How did you determine those three were reputable breeders? Thanks.
That's a good question, because I don't provide all the evidence in my first post.
1. First, I looked at the list of members of local Havanese Clubs to find members who are breeders.
2. Next, I went to www.offa.org
and using the Advanced Search feature, I found all the Havanese dogs listed there from a specific kennel. I matched up the names of the dogs there with the ones on the breeder's website. "Reputable" breeders usually list their dams and sires, including their AKC registered names.
3. Then I verified that the breeder participates in the show circuit. They post pictures and titles that their dogs have won.
4. Getting into the nitty-gritty, one can often see that the names of one breeder's dogs contains the name of another breeder. If I am confident in one of those breeders, it gives me more confidence that the other is also reputable because they are collaborating. Some Googling and reading will also show collaboration between breeders....maybe on their Facebook pages or in acknowledgements/thanks in a championship picture.
5. I actually created a spreadsheet with a list of breeders names and completed columns indicating whether they completed the proper health tests, participated in shows, whether they were willing to have visitors or ship their pups (generally considered a negative). In searching breeders' websites to complete the spreadsheet, I ended up finding evidence of collaboration between some.
6. Lastly, I checked specific breeders with others here on the forum, and I did some of that via PM.